• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

New to me pre facelift C63S Coupe

The grille aperture was never designed to house vertical slats and it looks wrong in my eyes, unlike the AMG GT where the opening is a different shape and suits it better.

The pre-facelift rear looks better too imo. On
the facelift the exhaust tips are too large and more prominently show the real pea shooter tips behind, plus they look disproportionately large for the car. I prefer the 'diffuser' design too, without that weird bar going along underneath.

Facelift designs are usually an exercise in making up something different for the sake of it to try and revitalise the model mid life cycle. Most of the time I find the original design better and more cohesive. The 204 C63 is another case in point, most agree the pre-facelift looks better on the outside.

Totally agree here. I liked the panamerica grille on my GTR as you’ve said it was designed to have that kind of a grille and the low, wide shape of the front of the GTR meant the vertical grilles worked. I think the c63 is too narrow for the vertical grilles and it doesn’t suit the shape of the car at all and really makes the front end look very narrow, the horizontal bar works much better to make it look wider in my opinion.

Agree about the rear diffuser too, I don’t like the protruding bar at the bottom of the new one and it looks a bit droopy or something, I do like that new one is gloss black instead of blackish/grey plastic so might get mine wrapped gloss or something.

Gloss black is an easy fix, I'd get it painted. Yes it's not reversible but I reckon most would prefer it anyway.

The previous owner of my car painted various parts, including making the roof black on a white estate and the diffuser in white with black fins. I quite like it so haven't changed it.

Totally agree here. I liked the panamerica grille on my GTR as you’ve said it was designed to have that kind of a grille and the low, wide shape of the front of the GTR meant the vertical grilles worked. I think the c63 is too narrow for the vertical grilles and it doesn’t suit the shape of the car at all and really makes the front end look very narrow, the horizontal bar works much better to make it look wider in my opinion.

Agree about the rear diffuser too, I don’t like the protruding bar at the bottom of the new one and it looks a bit droopy or something, I do like that new one is gloss black instead of blackish/grey plastic so might get mine wrapped gloss or something.
Who ended up fitting the bits for you?

Ended up getting agnews body shop to fit them, did a great job. Was on a run at the weekend and there was another c63s coupe there and the aero kit bits really did make a big difference over standard.

Ended up getting agnews body shop to fit them, did a great job. Was on a run at the weekend and there was another c63s coupe there and the aero kit bits really did make a big difference over standard.
Great, good to know

Upgraded my rear tyres yesterday to 295/30/20 ps4s and what a difference! The extra grip was noticeable almost immediately compared to the PSS. They’re also much quieter, comfortable and they look a lot better too, no more of that horrible stretched look. Steering feels a lot heavier too. My fronts still have about 6mm left but think i’ll just upgrade them to the 265/35 ps4s given the huge difference in the rears. Just thought i’d share incase anyone was thinking of doing similar.

Excellent to hear. I am having the factory fit PSS on my new C63S swapped out for PS4Ss before it turns a wheel. PSSs are good but PS4Ss are amazing.

Either of you guys use your cars as daily drivers? I'b be interested to hear if the PS4S is significantly better in the wet and colder temps during winter.. 👍

Either of you guys use your cars as daily drivers? I'b be interested to hear if the PS4S is significantly better in the wet and colder temps during winter.. 👍

I changed the pretty new P Zeros on my w204 c63 estate to MPS4Ss and it was transformational in winter. Like changing from leather soled shoes to rubber. I drive the car year round, daily driver.

They are also good in the wet.

Not obviously as good as all season tyres but they have their own compromises.

Eagle F1s are also good in my experience.

The change from MPSS to PS4SS in my other cars was less marked but definitely noticeable. Better grip year round, better ride, more organic feel. You quickly get used to the slightly softer sidewall, the compound and tread quality is that much superior. Fantastic feel when pushing on.

They also last much longer!

I think properly warmed on a dry track, P Zeros cling on well, which is why you still see them on supercars as OEM. But I do not like them for daily driving.

PS4S are OK in the colder months but not great to be honest. They spin up under small throttle openings out of junctions and don't key into the surface on slippery corners.

The regular PS4 is marginally better as it's less highly prioritised for dry warm grip. Personally for a daily driver I think it's well worth investing in a second set of 18" wheels to run something like the Michelin CrossClimate tyre from say November to March as you'll enjoy the car more with the extra grip. Also safer and not defeated by snow like the PS4S is.

Mine is a daily driver. I had an M4 a few years ago and when I changed the stock PSS to the 4S I noticed a massive difference in wet and cold grip, I changed almost brand new p zeros to PS4S on a 911 GTS and found exactly the same which is what prompted me to do it on the c63 and finding exactly the same with it.
I’ve found exactly the opposite to @Steve84N in that they don’t spin up on small throttle inputs like the pss did, i hated pulling out of junctions in the pss but already i can put my foot down hard in the 4s and it hasn’t been spinning up 👍🏻

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S have a broader operating range than Pilot Supersport and and will perform better in both warm/dry and cold/wet cold conditions but they are a summer tyre*

* Michelin describe them as Ultra High Performance Summer tyre and suitable for occasional track use.

Even the 4 S is nowhere near as good as an equivalent winter tyre when it’s cold/wet though. You don’t even need a second set of wheels if you use a tyre hotel.

Switching tyres could be seen as a compromise (1-2 hours twice each year), but that’s the only compromise - you’ll always be on the right tyre for the season.

Last edited:
PS4S's are like magic, I was out on Saturday morning in sub-zero temps, snow/ice on the road and can report no problems with traction whatsoever. Conversely, the car came to me with PSS's all round and exiting roundabouts in the dry, under light throttle proved to be a gamble on more than one occasion - so the move was a no brainer for me.

Unless someone comes out with something significantly better, I won't be changing anytime soon.

@riano to clarify, most of the time the PS4S is excellent in wet & dry but sub 5 degrees they drop right off in terms of grip. This last week with slimy cold roads is when they spin up and when a winter or all season tyre is better.

Upgraded my rear tyres yesterday to 295/30/20 ps4s and what a difference! The extra grip was noticeable almost immediately compared to the PSS. They’re also much quieter, comfortable and they look a lot better too, no more of that horrible stretched look. Steering feels a lot heavier too. My fronts still have about 6mm left but think i’ll just upgrade them to the 265/35 ps4s given the huge difference in the rears. Just thought i’d share incase anyone was thinking of doing similar.
Iv heard the same and my tears need changing, I’ll stick PS4S on them and leave PSS at the front as they have plenty of life in them

Mercedes don't use real alcantara, it's Dinamica which isn't as hard wearing and goes smooth/flat. I've had my wheel retrimmed in real alcantara (which is a brand name chucked around far too often on other similar materials) and the difference is night and day better.
The flat matted feel is just dirt. Gently cleaning with an automotive interior/fabric cleaner and a microfiber cloth will bring them back from beyond the brink, and they’ll be as good as new again.

The flat matted feel is just dirt. Gently cleaning with an automotive interior/fabric cleaner and a microfiber cloth will bring them back from beyond the brink, and they’ll be as good as new again.
I know but real alcantara doesn't go flat anywhere near as quickly. Mine was too far gone as the previous owner didn't clean it regularly.

Getting the car serviced on Monday and going to try and get the discoloured black plastic trim at the upper air scoops on the front on both sides replaced under warranty as have read some others have managed this.
Has anyone lowered their w205 coupe? I'm considering getting some Eibach springs fitted but worried it will ruin the ride quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom