News International boycott...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think whatever happens from this, the link between the previous and more so the current government and Murdoch is going to be blown apart...

From memory The Suns love affair with New Labour lasted from about 1995 until 2009, I very much doubt it'll be anywhere near as patient with the current bunch of incompetents

Nick / E class. What I find really interesting is the fact that you are both hellbent on slagging of the newsgatherers but then constantly quote them, aren't you just as bad as any one else?:dk:

The Guardian , not exactly known for it's unbiased reporting.;)

Sky News, another of Murdoch's money making machines.:doh:

The only reason News exists in it's current form is because of the public (Yourselves) desire to know everything about everybody. There was a time when peoples personal lives were just that but whilst the public thinks it has the right to know about when Brooklyn Beckhams first pubic hair sprouts then the news world will use whatever means to get that information.:wallbash:

If you buy the newspapers or subscribe to Sky you are part of the cause too. As guilty in my eyes as the people who perpetrated the hacking.

Good points well made but, if you don't read newspapers or watch or listen to broadcast news from where do you get accurate information?

Good points well made but, if you don't read newspapers or watch or listen to broadcast news from where do you get accurate information?

You think it's accurate????????????:doh::D I think it's spun whichever way that particular source leans. Left or right, I don't believe there is an impartial news source in any part of the world.:dk: Willing to be proved wrong though.:D

Unfortunately you're probably correct as most newspapers certainly,present the facts in the format their readers wish to receive, BBC is pc, anti Tory and seems to have an agenda which any news story has to fit although I confess to a partiality for Sky News.
Perhaps the government should have a news site where things could be explained without biase, spin or dishonestly, something we could all trust and believe in....on second thoughts the existing organs however flawed are more likely to be accurate!!

Nick / E class. What I find really interesting is the fact that you are both hellbent on slagging of the newsgatherers but then constantly quote them, aren't you just as bad as any one else?:

Gutter press vs media.

HTH.

I subscribe to Private Eye - it really puts the boot into the bulls**t that the papers spew.

I subscribe to Private Eye - it really puts the boot into the bulls**t that the papers spew.

Again no biased there then? If it has any human input in cannot fail to be biased, nature of the beast I'm afraid. Hell I'll freely admit I lean more to the right than the left so consequently I'm more likely to vote Conservative than Labour. Having said that when it comes to election time it just means Labour have to work harder to gain my vote as they start off behind. Then again if any of the minority parties come up with good ideas then my vote could go to them too. Unfortunately the Lib Dems don't stand a chance because they just dither about in the middle neither here or there.:)

That then makes me biased towards the right, which would mean if I were a reporter I'd be more likely to work at the Daily Mail than The Guardian:D. Thankfully I took up engineering so don't have to work for either snouting through peoples refuse, bugging phones etc.:thumb:

Go on - tell me how that differs from the other two? :dk:

:rolleyes: :p

I'd love to be able to tell you but unfortunately there isn't enough of a gap between them to get a Rizla blue fag paper down nowadays;) It's more a traditional thing I guess, it's about time they gravitated back to the traditional hunting grounds but the electorate like mediocrity and both left and right know it:wallbash:

It'll presumably continue in some form as long as the general public has an insatiable taste for tittle tattle; it doesn't happen in isolation, the demand has to be there in the first place.

We really are between a rock and a hard place - and it's very depressing. In a democracy, a free press is essential, and society owes a lot to the British press for its constant probing, challenging and exposing of government, big business, health services and charletans in general. No other medium can do this job - and my God we would be pretty well defenceless without the 'fourth estate'.
However, with this power comes responsibility, and the problem is that too many of the current bunch in charge of our newspapers seem to be loose canons these days.
Too many upstart editors - I won't name them, but you may know who I mean - are intent on making a name for themselves at any price. Too many adhere to the old Street of Shame adage - don't let the facts get in the way of a good story...
Too many will go to any lengths to get a good story and that includes diabolical invasions of privacy, contempt of court (eg Bellfield final case collapse) and feeding frenzies on a big story.
Ironically, the advent of 24 hour TV (Sky??) began this process. Newspapers became desperate to compete, survive even, and became ever more sensationalist. In news terms, nothing newspapers could produce could compete with the immediacy of live TV. News per se took second place to scandal and the craving for sensational stories over-rode the previous high standards of caution, restraint and responsibility.
It's all very well to say that the public has an insatiable appetite for tittle tattle. But equally, journalists should know where to draw the line and be the guardians of good taste and journalistic morality. Not evident these days.
I used to enjoy reading newspapers, but sadly not any more as I cannot name one for which I have any respect - and that, IMHO, is a sorry state of affairs.

Mercy1,
I couldn't have put it better myself.
All this about there being an appetite for this gutter reporting is a load of rubbish.
When did 'the people' supposedly start wanting it?
It's like drugs, nobody wanted them until they were there....

If the drugs aren't available, there is no demand. Likewise this intrusive 'journalism'.

As the great Bob Marley said;

"You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"

Last edited by a moderator:
To get back to the point, I don't want to suport this kind of behaviour. So, which paper do I avoid buying? All of them?????:dk:

guardian independent telegraph

They may entrap a politician but I can't imagine them targeting victims

I don't buy a single newspaper but read all (except the gutter press and the Times - not that there is much difference, but the Times charges online) on the web.

All are pale shadows of what they used to be, objective news reporting has been axed (for cost reasons) and replaced by excessively tedious and biassed commentary, of little worth and excessive knee jerking.

The problem with all is that on a subject of which I know something most articles are rarely accurate, leading me to conclude I can't trust them on subjects about which I know little.

I would be quite delighted if most went under.

So is there now room for a "new" newspaper? I had a look at that "1" thingy, didnt bother for a second one.

I buy the "Mail" myself (stands by for incoming) Could not be bothered with a broadsheet - It would not fit the kitchen table! Red Tops dont do it for me.

I can see the News of the Screws laying unsold in Garrison Towns, NAFFIs and bases all over the world. Ill be keeping an eye on the "pile" of unsolds at my local paper outlet. Purely in the interests of balance and investigation of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom