Night before - Screen de-icer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dizz, I award you temporary Yorkshireman status for your thrift!:D

Just want to point out that not everyone who lives in Surrey have huge bank accounts!
Thank you for the award, I feel honoured [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neighbours might not be impressed
Balancing on the bonnet at -10'C, whilst trying to 'aim' (something that due to the cold now resembles a walnut whip) at the windscreen in order to remove some frost, is not my idea of a good start to the day. Wouldn't be able generate enough pressure from the kerbside.

Have always used a jug or two of water from the hot tap (around 50'C) or a fan heater (until it died).

The previous owner of our MX-5 scratched the windscreen using a scraper... :(

Show off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the other hand, the Beetle appears to get condensation inside and out, and plenty of it. It's living in the garage at the moment, I think if it was outside I'd be defrosting the insides as well. I've been there in the past, and driving down the road in the morning in sub-zero temperatures with the windows open, coughing because of the smell of anti-freeze, doesn't really appeal any more..

Cheers,

Gaz

Balancing on the bonnet at -10'C, whilst trying to 'aim' (something that due to the cold now resembles a walnut whip) at the windscreen in order to remove some frost, is not my idea of a good start to the day. Wouldn't be able generate enough pressure from the kerbside.

Have always used a jug or two of water from the hot tap (around 50'C) or a fan heater (until it died).

The previous owner of our MX-5 scratched the windscreen using a scraper... :(

What were they using, a wallpaper scraper!?

What were they using, a wallpaper scraper!?

No, the blade picked up some grit and the guy (my son-in-law, car was my daughter's) was a bit too vigorous.. :(

I'm with the watering can and warm water from the hot tap brigade. My S204 lives on the front drive, which although South facing can have the car well frosted up if we need to go out early (admittedly not often, the joys of being retired!). 968 cab lives in the garage (204 would not fit anyway!) and stays there until things are more clement!! With a normal garden watering can I can normally defrost all windows with 1 can. As for the sticky doors - I treat the door and rear hatch rubbers 2-3 times a year with Gummipflege, does the trick, have not had a sticky door so far in almost 7 years of ownership.

I covered the front and rear screens with black bin liners. We'll see how it goes tomorrow morning......

I covered the front and rear screens with black bin liners. We'll see how it goes tomorrow morning......

All the fixed speed cameras have been covered in black bin liners around here. Rumour has it it's to prevent fire, rather than frost!

In The Netherlands, they used to keep the fixed cameras warm with an old car tyre, a bit of petrol and a match.

If I need to go out before the car has defrosted I just run the engine for 10 minutes while I go back inside to finish breakfast or whatever.

Since I bought the Mini I've discovered the joys of a heated windscreen. Start the car, switch everything on, and by the time I've cleared the driver and passenger side windows I can jump in the car, flick the front and rear wipers and I'm ready to go. Even this morning, when it was -5. I'm impressed.
It is very effective, but as the MINI screen is quite some distance from your eyes when seated normally, I found the heating elements somewhat distracting in dark, wet, conditions when oncoming lights hit the screen.

Really?

What laws?

I guess he’s referring to this “'You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road'.”

HOWEVER, I’m guessing your car is on your private land in which case you can do as you please ;)

Reactions: 219
Since I bought the Mini I've discovered the joys of a heated windscreen. Start the car, switch everything on, and by the time I've cleared the driver and passenger side windows I can jump in the car, flick the front and rear wipers and I'm ready to go. Even this morning, when it was -5. I'm impressed.

Cheers,

Gaz
I have only ever had one car that was fitted with this wonderful device. My first brand new car (company car)..a Ford Orion in 1989 !

Cheers,

Gaz[/QUOTE

I guess he’s referring to this “'You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road'.”

HOWEVER, I’m guessing your car is on your private land in which case you can do as you please ;)
Yes, that's the one ! never mind the fact that your insurer is highly unlikely to pay out if your car is stolen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom