Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The smell under the bonnet won't be accident related , it will be the fuel lines leaking where they join the engine , easily fixed with some jubilee clips , i did ours. Takes ten minutes.

Phew ...

Had thought for a minute i posted this in white text on a white background the other day ...

It's that Kids "be a spy kit" you've been playing with.

The assessor will collect my car this Saturday, and then phone me up on Monday to discuss the progress.

Hmmm , once 'they' have collected your car , it becomes that little bit harder for you to control what happens to it :eek:

I would never allow any car of mine to be uplifted until everything is agreed .

Are they going to be charging you a daily storage fee which will eat into the repair vs. write off equation as time draws on ?

Once they have the car , they hold all the chips.

Once it is in their yard , expect it to be raped of any nice bits ( your AMG wheels for example )

Don't let them take it , you still own the car. :crazy:

This whole thing reads like a post of what not to do when you have a no fault accident.

I would be certainly willing if it helps to save it. Hopefully they could give an estimate from the photographs as I may not be able to drive down this far for the next two weeks.

I've just shown bodyshop man the photo, you're looking at £450 plus vat to repair it inc parts as a contract repair.

If you let me have your email address you I can get the estimate emailed over to you, you can then show this to your assesor, who will then *not* need to take your car away, but can perhaps arrange transport for to the bodyshop.

I've just shown bodyshop man the photo, you're looking at £450 plus vat to repair it inc parts as a contract repair.

If you let me have your email address you I can get the estimate emailed over to you, you can then show this to your assesor, who will then *not* need to take your car away, but can perhaps arrange transport for to the bodyshop.

That sounds very reasonable .

I have to second the 'dont let them take your car' bit. I made this mistake once, had to cancel the claim and demand the car back. This took a lot of effort, the chaps at the storage facility were shall we say less than helpful but i managed to remove it anyway. The first time i ever tried to claim on my insurance and it left me feeling so cheated. If my car had been there much longer there wouldnt have been much of it left.

Not enough people know about their rights with car insurance and it makes me cross these companies are allowed to behave in this way. Since then i have been agreed valuation classic insurance all the way.

I have to second the 'dont let them take your car' bit. I made this mistake once, had to cancel the claim and demand the car back. This took a lot of effort, the chaps at the storage facility were shall we say less than helpful but i managed to remove it anyway. The first time i ever tried to claim on my insurance and it left me feeling so cheated. If my car had been there much longer there wouldnt have been much of it left.

Not enough people know about their rights with car insurance and it makes me cross these companies are allowed to behave in this way. Since then i have been agreed valuation classic insurance all the way.

OK, I haven't realised they could do anything like this. They told me over the phone, that the engineer would phone me and agree an action before writing off :devil:.
I'll phone them up to tell that I will take the car myself on Friday for an inspection {very busy on Saturday again}. Then I suppose they will offer to repair it themselves or I will have to have a friendly chat about other options.

Update: They had a look at my car this morning. They will contact me on Monday with the outcome. The car is with me till then.

I can't believe what the assessor told me today.

They quoted over £1.8k for repair (labour £800), and guess what - they are going to repair it at that cost. How much did they value the car?! This must be only possible in Bristol. That £1.15k quote now looks cheap

Hopefully, this is the end of this problem.

Many thanks to everyone who contributed in this thread.

Going to look a bit odd with a Gold Leaf door isn't it?

I can't believe what the assessor told me today.

They quoted over £1.8k for repair (labour £800), and guess what - they are going to repair it at that cost. How much did they value the car?! This must be only possible in Bristol. That £1.15k quote now looks cheap

Hopefully, this is the end of this problem.

Many thanks to everyone who contributed in this thread.

Madness ...

So an £1800 repair and car rental at £120 / day

Any predictions what will happen to insurance bills next year?

Nick Froome

Yep , someones onto a nice little earner ....

Slightly OT, but my neighbour who has crashed his X reg C320 , is currently running around in an 11 plate Shogun , which when it was delivered courtesy of the insurance company had 12 miles on the clock.

What's that costing a day to rent ? @ 2 weeks so far. Now you see why we get raped for insurance. :mad:

Plus their internal costs.

Clearly the industry is happy with this.

Otherwise it could speed up the process and reduce the number of days at whatever cost.

And it would negotiate down the hire and repair costs.

Oh look - you can get a repair for more than the value of the car :):):):)

In Bristol everything has double value :bannana:. I must have done a good job trying to convince them the car was in a good shape and well maintained. Now if I could only convince myself :doh:

Nick Froome

Let me guess... At least I am claiming of 3rd party insurance, so mine hopefully shouldn't be affected as much. Just imagine if I complained about a stiff neck... that's insane.

Rental - they got lucky there. I am going to Madrid soon for a few days so they can repair my car when I am away. I'd rather avoid rental, as if they wanted they could easily find damage to their car (as they said, even if I scratched a seat I'd be liable for £250 penalty).

All sorted now. They took ages to repair, but the job is nicely done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom