Nox sensor & adblue issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Right, she’s in tomorrow for diagnostics and I’m guessing subsequent repairs. Who are the charmers on here that can teach me how to drive the cost down given that it’s only 6 months out of warranty and is serviced through them (on a plan) as well as being the 5th vehicle I’ve bought from them albeit through 2 different franchises…. DM your best lines 😆

Right, she’s in tomorrow for diagnostics and I’m guessing subsequent repairs. Who are the charmers on here that can teach me how to drive the cost down given that it’s only 6 months out of warranty and is serviced through them (on a plan) as well as being the 5th vehicle I’ve bought from them albeit through 2 different franchises…. DM your best lines 😆
Is your issue the ad blue count down ? Whats the mileage ,tnx .

I would play on the fact that you are a good customer of theirs hopefully that should count for a bit. A chat with the service manager should help. I feel making a friend of the service manager is alway helpful.

I never have any luck and this is now proven. Rather than an expensive Nox sensor issue it’s an adblue tank problem.
1570 quid negotiated down to 1370.
I’m off for a lie down

I think the Nox sensors are about £800 each. I was chatting to a Mercedes Assist Technician and I asked him if they could change them and he told me that they don’t carry them because they are so expensive. I have had three Nox sensors replaced since March 2021. I was told that there are only 2 fitted in the car so the first one failed within a couple of months. Adblue tanks are an issue too we have a Peugeot Van at work and it is only used daily but the mileage is very low and it needed a new tank luckily it was under warranty but I think Adblue is quite corrosive and so tanks and level sensors will need to be replaced often.

Mercedes Quote with Part Numbers for replacing 2 Nox Sensors on 2012 ML250 62,587 miles TOTAL £ 1,620.96
Labour 3.8 HOURS £385.70
MA166 520 02 23 NOISE CAPSULE £ 88.50
MA000 905 35 03 104A05 NOX SENSOR £417.00
MA202 490 08 41 108C05 CLAMP £ 10.00
MA000 492 08 81 101D04C SEAL RING £ 5.75
MA000 492 08 81 101D04C SEAL RING £ 5.75
MA202 490 08 41 108C05 CLAMP £ 10.00
MN910143 008 006 102D06C HEXALOBULAR BOL £ 1.40
MN910143 008 006 102D06C HEXALOBULAR BOL £ 1.40
MA000 905 36 03 104A13 NOX SENSOR £379.00
MA002 995 49 02 107E09 PIPECLAMP F EXH £ 46.30
NET £1,350.80
VAT £ 270.16
TOTAL £ 1,620.96

The plot thickened. Following the work to replace the tank, they plugged in and then a Nox downstream sensor was flagged. Thankfully MB are replacing FOC. Car is now off the road but courtesy car provided - ironically I’m enjoying the C estate they’ve given me so much I will probably trade it in for one once the repairs are done! Kudos to Lookers MB Shrewsbury

Hello everyone, I hope you are well ,

My car is Mercedes-Benz E Class 220 AMG, year 2016.《 Millage 40k 》

1 month ago a get engine light appeared on the dashboard , after inspection the local garage said the issue with the NOx sensor 2 (cyclinder bank 1), has a malfunction.

Couple of days later I get Message say
Adblue Engine. start not possible in 400 miles although the Adblue tank is full.

Could you help me what is the problem and if my car under the emissions warranty by law.

Please advise.

Thanks
I got exactly same problem my tank is full however i got error on the dashboard (adblue engine not start possible in 300mileage) can i ask how did you sort it out this problem.Thanks.

I got exactly same problem my tank is full however i got error on the dashboard (adblue engine not start possible in 300mileage) can i ask how did you sort it out this problem.Thanks.
Get the adblue system remapped out of the car completely, and the EGR while your at it. Anything else means you're just driving a moneypit!

Get the adblue system remapped out of the car completely, and the EGR while your at it. Anything else means you're just driving a moneypit!
Sorry mate,i didn't get what you mean ;(

Sorry mate,i didn't get what you mean ;(
It's possible to get a remap that will delete the Adblue system from your car which means you won't have any "faults" regarding Adblue and Nox sensors. However, it is not legal to drive the car on the roads after this has been done and will also invalidate your insurance if it comes to light when a claim is made.

It's possible to get a remap that will delete the Adblue system from your car which means you won't have any "faults" regarding Adblue and Nox sensors. However, it is not legal to drive the car on the roads after this has been done and will also invalidate your insurance if it comes to light when a claim is made.
I understood,what if i drive after deleted do you think will it be damage to my car ?

I understood,what if i drive after deleted do you think will it be damage to my car ?
No , not in the slightest. Ad blue is simply injected into a part of the exhaust system anyways. There's hundreds of cars out there now of all brands with the system deleted. If one day the mot people bring out a stringent test for ad blue and Nox then everyone will be found out.

Your problem maybe as simple as resetting the level indicator sensor inside the ad blue tank , or it could need a new ad blue heater/pump ,which comes with a brand new ad blue tank for around £1500 . Then there are 2 Nox sensors which can fail and are around £1000 , and a spray nozzle in the exhaust AFAIK costs something like £400.

Remap delete costs from £200 to £300. So you can see why people have it done.

Last edited:
FYI. Below is a quote from a company that offers an "Adblue Delete" service:

"Our professional AdBlue removal service is for vehicles that are intended for off-road use only. In fact, AdBlue removal in UK vehicles means that driving the car, van or truck on public roads is illegal and could result in prosecution."

FYI. Below is a quote from a company that offers an "Adblue Delete" service:

"Our professional AdBlue removal service is for vehicles that are intended for off-road use only. In fact, AdBlue removal in UK vehicles means that driving the car, van or truck on public roads is illegal and could result in prosecution."
I fully understand this, but anyone buying a car that's already had the ad blue solution. Wouldn't know based on ad blue usage you could check in 12 months time say and see it's not gone down much and maybe only of driven 1500 miles in that year . So after say 3 years of ownership and 4500 miles later you check again and notice the level and then begin to think ,this isn't going down. Would you then insist on investigating as to why and rectify or would you just keep on driving it ? I'm guessing the latter .

I fully understand this, but anyone buying a car that's already had the ad blue solution. Wouldn't know based on ad blue usage you could check in 12 months time say and see it's not gone down much and maybe only of driven 1500 miles in that year . So after say 3 years of ownership and 4500 miles later you check again and notice the level and then begin to think ,this isn't going down. Would you then insist on investigating as to why and rectify or would you just keep on driving it ? I'm guessing the latter .
I wasn't aware of adblue problems in cars when I bought my S350L in September 2021 so didn't think of checking if it had the Adblue Delete done. In November last year, when it was at the main dealer for service and Mot, I opted for the Diesel software update and it came to light that the Adblue control unit had previously been removed and the car would not now start until the control unit was replaced (cost me around £500 for a new one). When this was done one of the Nox sensors failed and was replaced FOC by MB. A few weeks later the other sensor failed and was replaced FOC.

I think that this system is not fit for purpose and any/all failures of it should be fully funded by MB. I also completely understand why owners get this removed and I'm not judging anyone for wanting to do it but I want to keep my car legal, despite the costs involved.

Just to add that, apart from the illegality aspect, AdBlue delete is not a good idea for cars that are being serviced by main dealer.

Just to add that, apart from the illegality aspect, AdBlue delete is not a good idea for cars that are being serviced by main dealer.
Why , so mb can't charge the owner £40 for topping it up :)

I wasn't aware of adblue problems in cars when I bought my S350L in September 2021 so didn't think of checking if it had the Adblue Delete done. In November last year, when it was at the main dealer for service and Mot, I opted for the Diesel software update and it came to light that the Adblue control unit had previously been removed and the car would not now start until the control unit was replaced (cost me around £500 for a new one). When this was done one of the Nox sensors failed and was replaced FOC by MB. A few weeks later the other sensor failed and was replaced FOC.

I think that this system is not fit for purpose and any/all failures of it should be fully funded by MB. I also completely understand why owners get this removed and I'm not judging anyone for wanting to do it but I want to keep my car legal, despite the costs involved.

Had you not had a mb service or/and software update you'd of drove around unaware ,to driving an illegal car. You'd of been over the moon to be prosecuted then . I'm pretty sure if any car becomes known to the authorities that be ,the owner would be given a producer to have the remedial work carried out within 14 days for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom