• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

NTG4.5 or Navigation 20 Retrofit

galewis

Car
A207 E Class Cabriolet
Hi Guys

Hoping I can tap in to your collective knowledge. I have a new E Class (A207) convertible with the standard single disc Audio 20.

I'd like to change it for an OEM style navigation based device. I also need to be able to play approx 10GB of MP3 music. The Audio 20 lacks navigation and although it will play MP3 on CD's, the disc only hold approx 700mb at a time and I'm not keen on the idea of constantly changing discs. A HDD or USB port that could read MP3's would be ideal. I also need to retain the Bluetooth phone functionality I have on the Audio 20.

The Navigation 20 upgrade looks good, but I have some questions that I can't find the answers to:-

1. Where are the NAV maps stored? Are they on CD (DVD?) meaning that you can't play CD's if using NAV, or are they stored on an internal HDD or other form of internal memory?

2. I know the Navigation 20 comes with some glove box located ports that include USB/IPOD and AUX, but does it come with the necessary leads to connect to connect the devices to, or do you need to buy them seperately? Also, does the IPOD connector charge the IPOD too? I don't have an iPod, but I might get one if that's the best way to get MP3, but not if it won't charge.

3. No ability to display MP3 artwork, I assume?

4. Bluetooth phone will work as it did with the Audio 20 - No voice activation.

Anyway... cost of this is £850 inc. fitting from an MB dealership, so no issues with 2nd hand gear, warranties and worries about damage caused by poor installation by the engineer.

The other option is the COMAND retrofit which I understand to be NTG4.5. This, I understand is a HDD based nav system with a larger screen (which is a definite plus). I can get this fitted for about the same money as Navigation 20, although it is mint 2nd hand gear, but with 12 month warranty, although not fitted by a MB main dealer. It seems though, that NTG4.5 on it's own doesn't have any connections for USB/iPod. I'd apparantly need to have the UMI kit as well which would add another £400 to the bill.

Some questions:-

1. I understand MP3's can be stored on the HDD. How do you get the music there. Is it a case of inserting CD's and then waiting an age for them to rip down to the HDD, or is there a more direct way i.e. pre-load a CD with MP3's and rip them down this way, or better still a DVD pre-loaded with MP3's?

2. Is the actual Navigation bit any more or less advanced than that of Navigation 20?

3. I thought I'd read somewhere that NTG4.5 came with a PCMCIA slot, but I can't confirm, or is it part of UMI? If I could use a PCMCIA adaptor and load my music on to a 16GB SD card, that would be ideal.

4. MP3 artwork presumably works with NTG4.5, from all sources HDD, PCMCIA (if it has one), CD, DVD (if it is DVD?).

5. Bluetooth phone is the same as Navigation 20/Audio 20, or does it add voice activation? If not, is voice activation part of UMI? You see, I wouldn't spend £400 extra on UMI just to get a USB port if I could play MP3 directly from the HDD (I'm not sure how much free space is on the HDD after the maps are installed?), provided I could get the MP3's on the HDD relatively easily or if there was a PCMCIA slot with the NTG4.5. However, I might be tempted to have UMI if it would give me voice activation.

Thoughts appreciated.

Gary

The NAV20 has gone up in price a lot recently - if your dealer will honour that price, go for it.

However NAV20 is not for cars with NTG4.5 Audio-20, Becker Map-pilot is for those.

So, if your car has NTG4, it has to have NAV-20 or COMAND NTG4. If it has NTG4.5, it has to have Becker Map-pilot or COMAND Online NTG4.5.

Cheers

RIchard

Richard, on a 2010 car with the NTG4 Audio 20 is it still possible to retrofit and code using used NTG4 COMAND units?

I have a friend who has a breakers and he occasionally gets Mercs come in and they often have comand in them, so I can get one at a good price if I can be bothered to wait.
But I heard Mercedes were getting a bit tighter on handing out activation codes on used units??

Yes.

MY2008/2009 have dark fascias and the trim line is chrome
MY2010 have lighter fascias with a chrome trim line
MY2011 has the MY2010 lighter fascia but the trim line is a aluminium non shiny trim

The switch pack below the COMAND is the same colour as the COMAND, which of course means if you use your existing switch pack it may be darker / lighter depending what COMAND you are installing!

I would suggest that you get from the broken car
a) COMAND
b) Display
c) Video cable going between COMAND and the display
d) The Vents and switches above the COMAND below the display
e) The switch set below the COMAND (which is screwed to the COMAND in anycase)

Its too hard to remove the additional cooling fan / vents / wiring loom, so you'll need to get those later

Richard

I should have said, I am looking at a 2010 W212 E Class.

So if I bought the main unit and screen and then ordered the install kit from you could you code it all for me if I came down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom