OBD2 scanner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianro

Car
w213 E220D
Hi
Can anyone recommend a scanner that can read DPF live data ona 2017 W213. The Icarsoft MB2 and MB3 don't I've bought both nor does the Icarsoft multi vehicle V2?
Cheers.

Which live data were you hoping to view ?

Screenshot_20230621-081743-406.pngScreenshot_20230621-081713-991.pngScreenshot_20230621-081804-606.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230621-081652-693.png
    Screenshot_20230621-081652-693.png
    735.2 KB · Views: 2
As good as icarsoft are., they don't suppport every test/function on every vehicle. If I need to view DPF data on my W209 OM646 I have to use my Star system as icarsoft doesn't support it.

Is that on a W213 though?
C207 . 2017 . Have you updated the icarsofts software recently. ?

As good as icarsoft are., they don't suppport every test/function on every vehicle. If I need to view DPF data on my W209 OM646 I have to use my Star system as icarsoft doesn't support it.
I wish I had a star system but live in hope that through time Icarsoft will support many more functions for the W213.

It would be impossible for a tool to keep a database of the memory addresses where say soot content resides in each and every software release for every vehicle, let alone all the addresses for ask the other data.

That's why in the diagnostic specs the concept of read Data by IDentifier (Did) exists. Each Did has a 4 character reference. The tool sends a request to the module to read a DID and the module sends some data back. The manufacturer is free to choose which DID corresponds to what data. I fully expect that MB have commonised these DIDs amongst their products. So the DID for soot in a W212 will be the same as a c207. Not every vehicle will support every DID, but they shouldn't overlap.

In summary, if you can fool your icarsoft you should see data off you select a similar vehicle.
Don't try this with of any of the service/actuation functions, just the reading functions, ie live data.

So if I select W212 instead of W213 I might get live data for DPF?
Pick any car with the same engine with dpf basically.

Yes.

For peace of mind you can sanity check some of the other data you know works when you select w213 and then compare to when you select w212.

I don't know how icarsoft behaves if one of the DIDs it requests isn't supported. If they've coded it nicely it should still display data for those it did get a positive response to.

Tried it, no joy, still picks the vehicle up as a W213. Tried using a W212 but might try the C300, don't know code name if anyone does.

On my CR Max if you manually select the vehicle you can choose the wrong vehicle if you want.

I have some CAN tools and checked what DIDs icarsoft is requesting. It seems for vehicles of the same vintage DIDs are common, but they have changed over the years. So between a W212 and W213, I expect a difference.
I could see for CLS257 and GLE253, which I guess are similar vintage to W213 they use common DIDs, but are different to those used for W212.

OFTR, I looked at all the live data my CR Max offers for the C207, I only see some of that data your MB3 provides. I did update the unit today too. Maybe the one size fits all wasn't so good after all.

If anyone wants to try another SD card in their unit with my mb3 data on it , I'll gladly send them it . I've always wondered if it would work.

No joy, tried several other similar engines but still picks it up as a W213. Other than a STAR system or Snapon has anyone found an OBD scanner that reads live data on a W213 and specifiacally a W213?

No. But I did try to upgrade my earlier icarsoft to a later version using the online updater. The result was total meltdown and locked me out when I tried to go back to the original files. fortunately I had backed them up.

No. But I did try to upgrade my earlier icarsoft to a later version using the online updater. The result was total meltdown and locked me out when I tried to go back to the original files. fortunately I had backed them up.
As long as you save the original files to a laptop ,nothing gets corrupted or lost . Using a totally separate sd card to the original is the way forward. I'd think the only thing stopping this is the seriel number of the unit itself . ??

Gonna sell my icarsoft mb v3.0 if anyone is interested given it's no use for my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom