• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Oil level rising on dipstick

Just out of interest when "engine was running flat out" with out keys how did you manage to stop it running?
Sometimes there is no way and engine blows up .

If very lucky you might be able to put in gear with brakes applied and stall it ; others have blocked air intake .

Both methods are dangerous.

Just out of interest when "engine was running flat out" with out keys how did you manage to stop it running?
I ripped the airbox of and jammed my hat over the intake,thankfully it stopped (I was well outa the way,I didn't fancy a con rod in the face)

How is that possible?

Russ
The bearing in the turbo fails then the oil seal fails,the pressure sucks the oil (that's used to lube the turbo)past the blown seal and it's forced into the intake,the engine then runs on its own sump oil,the throttle is now redundant,you have to act quick,either try and stall the motor or stop the air feed,terrifying(well I thought so)
Just wondering what if it happened on a auto?

Do some people never actually read previous replies before posting?

That is so very true and so many don't even read the initial post fully or they wouldn't make some of the suggestions they do

The bearing in the turbo fails then the oil seal fails,the pressure sucks the oil (that's used to lube the turbo)past the blown seal and it's forced into the intake,the engine then runs on its own sump oil,the throttle is now redundant,you have to act quick,either try and stall the motor or stop the air feed,terrifying(well I thought so)
Just wondering what if it happened on a auto?

CO2 fire extinguisher's what you need.

when i stated the engine will pick up, if the oil level rises to far, it will get picked up by the pistons, then the engine will run on its own with no way to stop it until it destroys itself. I have seen it happen, its a very frightening experience.
The only way to stop such a runaway engine is to cut off its air supply. Open bonnet and hand / lump of rag over the engine air filter intake.
Easier said than done !!!:(

More likely it was sucking the oil through the inlet manifold or turbo, therefore it would be not under the control of the fuel system and certainly not through the injectors ! I've experienced this with an old Leyland Leopard coach where it was started up and ran backwards where it " rocked " against the compression and drew the oil from the sump possibly from the turbo supply. The engine speed raised quite quickly and stopped when it had exhausted all the oil. It was incredible that the old thing didn't throw a rod or two. The only way to stop it under these circumstances would be to block the supply of air if you were brave or foolish enough ! This coach was loaded with passengers who were hastily herded off.

As i stated, years ago, a friend of mine had a Landrover defender TD5, he kept telling me the oil level was rising, and all he did was each week drain out the excess oil and carried on driving it, i did keep telling him that a known fault on the engine was that the injectors failed, and fuel would leak into the engine whilst it was sitting, until the pressure dropped in the system.
He was out off roading somewhere, and called me to say that his engine would not switch off, and was revving its nuts off, i told him to stick it in gear and stall it, but before he could do that the engine disintegrated, bits came out through the block. It had done in excess of 200,000 miles, so was fairly knackered anyway. He had it towed home, and when they checked the oil, very little left. He said the smoke from the exhaust was something to behold.

Thanks for the various replies even though did get slightly hijacked but still not resolved problem and nobody including garages have any idea as they can't find any fault and it isn't showing up any error codes when commercial grade diagnostics were done and not the likes of torque, dash command etc so still looking for help / advice / ideas.

You could have a sample of the oil tested for approx. £25-£50. Amongst other things it would quantify the extent of fuel dilution.

Bit hard to get that done as Greenflag managed to crack my sump somehow on the journey home. Had another sump fitted at my expense and had all the injectors out and they werent all blacked up and it i'snt smoking anymore and covering everywhere in clouds of white smoke. Garages have no idea and not managed any real help via the forums.

You could have a sample of the oil tested for approx. £25-£50. Amongst other things it would quantify the extent of fuel dilution.

Bit hard to get that done as Greenflag managed to crack my sump somehow on the journey home also oil didnt have a diesel smell to it and my garage agreed with me. Had another sump fitted at my expense and had all the injectors out and they werent all blacked up and it i'snt smoking anymore and covering everywhere in clouds of white smoke. Garages have no idea and not managed any real help via the forums.

Could this be because you’ve started from scratch again, ie you now have the right amount of oil in the engine, and it’s not diluted with diesel fuel.

Mrs B's diesel Skoda had similar symptoms, we were told it was caused by short journeys, DPF regents being interrupted, resulting in fuel going direct into the engine. (This has also been suggested in this thread) An urgent oil and filter change was advised, which by default you have done.
Bit hard to get that done as Greenflag managed to crack my sump somehow on the journey home. Had another sump fitted at my expense and had all the injectors out and they werent all blacked up and it i'snt smoking anymore and covering everywhere in clouds of white smoke. Garages have no idea and not managed any real help via the forums.

I have seen this reported many times with 'remapped' DPF. Sometimes programming just goes wrong and car tries regenerate non-existing filter.

I would run a can of decent injector cleaner through it, get yourself on of those cheap oil extractors that works through dipstick tube and remove oil until its halfway between max/min and check every few days.
My guess is injector leakage, and you dont want to have a runaway engine.

I have seen this reported many times with 'remapped' DPF. Sometimes programming just goes wrong and car tries regenerate non-existing filter.

It has had the dpf mapped out but just seems strange that it did 3k before it started blowing smoke at low speeds and then smoke stopped when back at 50mph plus

It has had the dpf mapped out but just seems strange that it did 3k before it started blowing smoke at low speeds and then smoke stopped when back at 50mph plus

Yep its not unheard that some mysterious combination of engine data readings triggers DPF regen even it has coded out. I remember couple of case with very first DPFs and map first programmers (I believe they have learnt slightly better how to prevent regen). Why it stops at 50+ I acnnot say IF it is not related to different regen 'states', it is just hearsay but I also believe there are different regen parameters depending are you driving full blast on highway or sitting on idle in traffic lights.

If you can confirm your injectors are solid, and oil addition is fuel, cylinder compression ok, it is almost only possibility. I wonder if SDS would give info if regen in on. I never seen it how it looks like as a live data, only forced regen.

Yep its not unheard that some mysterious combination of engine data readings triggers DPF regen even it has coded out. I remember couple of case with very first DPFs and map first programmers (I believe they have learnt slightly better how to prevent regen). Why it stops at 50+ I acnnot say IF it is not related to different regen 'states', it is just hearsay but I also believe there are different regen parameters depending are you driving full blast on highway or sitting on idle in traffic lights.

If you can confirm your injectors are solid, and oil addition is fuel, cylinder compression ok, it is almost only possibility. I wonder if SDS would give info if regen in on. I never seen it how it looks like as a live data, only forced regen.

I know for definite that the only thing that could be going into the oil is diesel as water levels haven't dropped. Fuel economy doesn't seem to of dropped though and oil didn't smell of diesel but had thinned but engine itself wasn't missing a bit with no loss of power or surges or grumbles and sounded as it should when idling and would of thought if it was injector issues they would of been gunked up when removed butbapart from injector 1 (closet to the radiator) they were all clean and injector 1 wasn't gunked but was a but dirty. It had 2 independent garages baffled and as for green flag technicians they just said nothing wrong and to keep driving. Van had done nearly 3k in 3 weeks and had just been serviced prior to it all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom