Oil level rising on dipstick

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If the injectors are overfuelling they wouldn't appear gunked up would they? To my way of thinking they would appear cleaner than normal if anything. But I could be wrong.

Injectors should spray a very fine mist at defined angles. If they are faulty, they very often dribble or spray a jet, which results in incomplete combustion, with the excess/unburnt fuel running down the bores. They can only be tested with professional equipment.

Sorry, maybe I didn't put my point clearly. What I meant was if the DPF regeneration is being forced and excess fuel is being delivered as a consequence then the injectors won't necessarily be faulty or appear manky.

Either way DPF regen or Out of spec injectors is causing excess fuel in one or more cylinders and ending in the sump- eventual outcome is bad even if it dont blow the engine, as the oil will be diluted and even though diesel is a kind of lubricant, will as a minimum cause increased wear?

Either way DPF regen or Out of spec injectors is causing excess fuel in one or more cylinders and ending in the sump- eventual outcome is bad even if it dont blow the engine, as the oil will be diluted and even though diesel is a kind of lubricant, will as a minimum cause increased wear?
It will strip all the protective carbon off the bores and and score them badly.

Is it possible that a knackered oil filter could be the issue as don't know when it was last changed but it is at least 5k miles as some idiot has put it on so tight even my garage couldn't get it off so have to figure out how to get it off without damaging it.

The oil filter will not play any part in your problem.

It was just what somebody said could of been the cause of the excessive smoke if the filter was blocked and knackered

Buy a new filter housing top, you will probably destroy the old one removing it. Its possibly cross threaded?
Surprised a garage cannot remove it?
A chain wrench round the base where the plastic top meets the ally body usually gets it free?

It was just what somebody said could of been the cause of the excessive smoke if the filter was blocked and knackered
Air filter maybe, oil no. Or at least not very likely. Low oil pressure maybe

The oil filter cap requires the correct tool to remove, its a sort of large bowl with a nut on top, fixes over the filter cap, then you use a socket to unscrew.

Buy a new filter housing top, you will probably destroy the old one removing it. Its possibly cross threaded?
Surprised a garage cannot remove it?
A chain wrench round the base where the plastic top meets the ally body usually gets it free?

Impossible to get a chain wrench around on a sprinter due to location

You may have luck with a strap type removal tool

Think with these things and location only way to do it is with correct tool as no room with straps or chains (not in a kinky way as it sounds) to get any force or tension. Ordered the correct tool and hopefully it doesn't knacker it and have to get a new oil filter casing too

Amazing how many things people will try, before biting the bullet.

Amazing how many things people will try, before biting the bullet.

This is true but before trying many things and biting the bullet I like to ask if others have found a way to do it any other ways that way I might save a few quid as sure I am not the first to come across an issue .On this occasion as couldn't get any real constructive help have bought the correct part to try and get it off

Hold on, constructed help was given to you, an oil filter strap wrench would have fitted, but may have damaged the housing. The correct tool may also damage the housing if someone has cross threaded it and just forced it on.
Its properly just stuck on its rubber o ring, and once you get it moving will come off. I have the correct tool, and it was only a few quid. plus side is you will use it more than once if keeping the car

Just out of interest when "engine was running flat out" with out keys how did you manage to stop it running?
I can confirm that this can happen. The engine is just in a mechanical situation where it is picking up oil and using it as fuel with no control. If you're very brave, you can stop it running by stopping it getting any air. Engines do not run without air 'cos it can't burn without oxygen !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom