Oil suction pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funkyboy

Car
E class
I'm going to start servicing my E250 myself and was thinking of changing the oil through a suction pump through the dip stick. I've seen posts saying the dealer's do it that way but not had that confirmed. Has anyone here used one and is there anything to watch out for? I'm aware that there's a lot of oil in the e250 so would probably need a 9ltr pump so you don't have to stop and drain the smaller ones.

Thanks

I've used the (IIRC) 9.5lt pump for many years and it's great.

However, I like the idea Patrick has with the little 12v pump, but I have trouble convincing myself it will be powerful enough?

We have quite a powerful compressor to hand and I seem to remember I could hook up the extractor to that, but have never explored that idea.

Mercedes have been sucking through the dipstick tube for at least 25 years. BMW, even longer.

I use a pela . Think it's around 6 litres. It's no big deal emptying it though as you run out of suction after a while. Empty it then.

I'm going to start servicing my E250 myself and was thinking of changing the oil through a suction pump through the dip stick. I've seen posts saying the dealer's do it that way but not had that confirmed. Has anyone here used one and is there anything to watch out for? I'm aware that there's a lot of oil in the e250 so would probably need a 9ltr pump so you don't have to stop and drain the smaller ones.

Thanks

Yes, do it when the oil is hot.
That said, I pulled the oil from a cold diff with it last week - did take a while though.

I've used the (IIRC) 9.5lt pump for many years and it's great.

However, I like the idea Patrick has with the little 12v pump, but I have trouble convincing myself it will be powerful enough?

We have quite a powerful compressor to hand and I seem to remember I could hook up the extractor to that, but have never explored that idea.

Mercedes have been sucking through the dipstick tube for at least 25 years. BMW, even longer.
The Lidl electric pumps work well but are not fast. Takes a good 5+ minutes to empty 7 litres of 10w40, but you can spend this time replacing the oil filter.

Top Tip : restaurant empty cooking oil drums make good used oil containers.

I've used both a hand operated Pela type suction pump and a Lidl electric pump. I prefer the electric pump because you can transfer the dirty oil straight into a waste container. Less mess and easier to clean. I didn't find the Lidl pump to be slower than hand pumping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom