• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Old Grunter Rant!

HappytalkAgain

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
C Class Estate. Vito Van 119 W447 XLWB
Not like me but I'm positively bursting.

18 year old daughter works at a museum basically to earn a few quid whilst studying. Twice in the last week she's been pulled up by old ba%*ards.

1. Whilst serving in the cafe. As she placed a plateful of food at the table a guy grabs her arm and in a stern voice "WHAT's THIS MESS?" referring to a discreet tattoo on her arm of the 3 dogs we've owned. "They're of my wee doggies" she said. "Well I don't like tattoos!" he said as he eventually let go of her arm. I understand that tattoos are not to everyones taste but why oh why did this guy think her had the right to give his opinion?
  2. Whilst on the front desk another bloke rudely said "What's with all the scrap metal" whilst pointing to his nose and ears. Referring to a nose and ear piercings. "they look hideous" What the hell has it got to do with him? Again, why do some folk think they can be so rude to a total stranger when buying a ticket at a museum?
She's been there a while now and this is just an example of the last week. Similar instances have happened in the past. She's a quiet and shy kinda girl, always smiling, polite and friendly. I just don't get it. Always men too, never women.

I'm all for inquisitive people asking politely but why with such aggression. And ALWAYS the 'older' generation. Rude and obnoxious. The kind of people that slate the younger generation for having no manners that fail to say please and thank you!

Drives me potty. Rant over!

Happy Friday!

To be honest Ant, I'm getting increasingly tired of what seems to be an emerging 'entitled' society that think they have the right to act as they please. We all have opinions, but where do you get off expressing them in such a way as in your daughter's case?
Grunters Of The World Unite!
Come the Glorious Revolution Brother.......

My daughter is very ill and has been given the use of a Blue Badge to help her on her bad days.
Unfortunately many of the general public sees her walking normally and challenged her regarding he Blue Badge.She finds this upsetting.Next time it happens she has been told to dial 999 and report the incident.

My daughter is very ill and has been given the use of a Blue Badge to help her on her bad days.
Unfortunately many of the general public sees her walking normally and challenged her regarding he Blue Badge.She finds this upsetting.Next time it happens she has been told to dial 999 and report the incident.
Really sorry to hear your daughter is unwell. And 100% understand peoples blinkered vision when it comes to health issues that are not visible. We've had our fair share of snide comments over the years. I used to challenge them, nowadays I just say: "Aye, great these Blue Badges. Free Parking, near the shops and fit as a fiddle" :banana:

Good, rant, Ant, and I don't blame you. He sounds like an obnoxious old fart. And definitely should not be grabbing at her, is she ok? Live and let live I say, tattoos, piercings, blue hair, pink hair, etc. Not doing any harm to anyone. That's my rant over. 🤬

Sorry to hear about your daughter; the same thing has happened to Mrs S a couple of times when out and about with her mother who has a Blue Badge.

Good, rant, Ant, and I don't blame you. He sounds like an obnoxious old fart. And definitely should not be grabbing at her, is she ok? Live and let live I say, tattoos, piercings, blue hair, pink hair, etc. Not doing any harm to anyone. That's my rant over. 🤬
Exactly this ^^^

She's fine Toe thanks. Just a little perplexed.

Sorry to read this for your daughter, but also sorry for society, because it’s a sad reflection of people in the UK. I would love to see how this individual would react if someone grabbed his arm. I hope she shrugs it off with the contempt that such people deserve.

Great training for the world ahead.

You have to politely brush it off, and not take it to heart.

That said, I can't think of a single thing I'd have had tattooed on my arms, legs or buttocks at 18

that I would have been happy to have a decade later.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 12.58.32.png

I’m an old fart but would never act in the ways described and cannot understand this behaviour but that said as you age you can lose some of your ability to control what comes out of your mouth I know my mother in law does.

I’m sure your daughter is aware but it’s best to smile and say something nice (I just wish I could follow my own advice)

Robin

Great training for the world ahead.

You have to politely brush it off, and not take it to heart.

That said, I can't think of a single thing I'd have had tattooed on my arms, legs or buttocks at 18

that I would have been happy to have a decade later.

View attachment 154132
....at your time of life postcode and house number is a good idea! 😁

She didn't take it to heart, as I say, she's just a little unsure as to why some folk feel they can physically grab her to make a point of not liking something that she obviously does.

Neither me or Mrs Ant have tattoos or piercings - our choice. Our daughter has both - her choice.

P.S. Is that a photo of Neville from Auf Wiedersehen Pet? :p

Last edited:
Ant.

I am sorry that your daughter has had to experience first hand such ignorant and prejudiced behaviour.

People are entitled to hold their opinions but with that freedom comes responsibility. As for the person that grabbed her arm, that is assault and not acceptable in any way.

From what I know of you and your family though you all have the strength of character to ignore the idiots and to move on 💪💪👍

Neither me or Mrs Ant have tattoos or piercings - our choice. Our daughter has both - her choice.
Different generation.

Had a chuckle yesterday talking to a 91 year French woman who has known me for half a century.

"Your French still isn't very good," she said (in French).

At 91, nothing much gets "filtered" any more. It's what the old do. But she had a point.

I'm just happy that she's still alive. But I didn't say that, because I still "filter."

Working in the front line of customer abuse for a lot of my life you become annealed to the fact that seemingly the majority of folks look on the service industry staff as a method of relieving their own silly insecurities and frustrations. To combat this over the years I’ve become an expert in cordial and swift character assassination by mouth.
In my shop in Walmer many years back I installed a small ships type bell secreted at the back of the premises which was available to be wrung by any member of staff that had felt abused by a customer. Worked wonders and kept everyone giggling at customers stupidity. Believe it or not I kept a log of everyday loony customer antics with the idea of possible publishing on retirement, only to lose the bloody thing in a house move years later.
My respect and very best wishes to your daughter for unlike so many lazy b****rds these days she has the desire and courage to earn a living for herself in what is at the very least a difficult industry.

Some people just don't know how to mind their own business.

I hope she will be bemused by it and not take it to heart, fingers crossed !

We have weekly hospital appointments in Central London and I've had a few old fckers tut tut when we park in the disabled bay at the station (we are blue badge holders). Funny they don't say anything when I actually carry my 14 year old Daughter over the bridge in my arms because she is too weak to walk.

I was slagged off on here for my reaction to a ignorant busybody who couldn't keep her snide comments to herself but I just cannot be done with these people anymore.

(By the way I can always post a "Bint" part 2 thread if anyone's interested in what's she has been up to in the last year or so)

But on a more positive note........

We have recently had a young lady Marshall start at work. She has tats, piercings, plugs Cuts quite the picture in her hi Viz and bovver boots. Always wears a massive bobble hat. I'd guess she is exactly the sort of person that the grunters would comment about.

But I met her randomly the other day out of uniform and to say she looked stunning would be a understatement. Hiding under the bobble hat was 3 foot of fantastic long hair and although her looks were not the Social norms it just worked so well with her. I very nearly said something inappropriate but complimentary 😄

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to Ye Olde Grunters Club…

The old git that grabbed your daughter’s arm, is guilty of assault as well as being an Rse.

I don’t do tattoos or piercings either and in many cases find them unsightly, but it’s absolutely none of my business what others choose for themselves.

1. Whilst on the front desk another bloke rudely said "What's with all the scrap metal" whilst pointing to his nose and ears. Referring to a nose and ear piercings. "they look hideous" What the hell has it got to do with him? Again, why do some folk think they can be so rude to a total stranger when buying a ticket at a museum?
When I had my nose pierced (some time ago...) people used to grimace and ask ''What's that in your nose?'' 'Bogeys! What do you have in yours?' used to shut them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom