Olympic lunacy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
I tried to think of something witty to say about it, but nothing could do justice to the inspired genius that came up with this:

article-2174218-1415B1FE000005DC-151_634x415.jpg

The scary thing is not only did somebody think it was a good idea, his boss agreed with him.

Wow stupidity on a whole new level. I wonder what's the cheaper fine, bus lane or Olympic?

Unbelievable! I wonder how logn after the Olympics these lanes will remain??

And the better idea is?

Leaving aside the debate about why we have Olympics at all, I really do not understand why everyone in the UK is so eager to knock what the organisers have done to host the Olymics in the UK. In Athens much of the infrastructre was not completed on time, in China they had similar issues and also with smog, and I recall the Commonwealth Games where the track was going down on the morning of the opening. If they hadn't done special lanes people would say that they hadn't planned. They can't win. The doom and gloom brigade forecast half-finished stadiums a few years back but the UK managed to finish the largest construction project in Europe on time. Instead of highlighting the 3000 temporary security staff that have not been hired (pretty sure the services backfill was always a preferred contingency plan anyway but the shortfall is less than 10% of the total allocated to security anyway) why don't the BBC put some positive coverage on what has been achieved. London and UK plc are on show to the rest of the world, so why not draw attention to the good bits instead looking for bad news. To do otherwise just harms us all when we want to attract foreign visitors and business.

Oh - and I travel through Heathrow 1 - 2 times a week and the queues are really not that bad - certainly better than New York, Paris, Frankfurt, Chicago and a bunch of others. And a lot of those cities have lanes for buses, and another for taxis, emergency vehicles, cycles etc. By contrast, even with it's 'Olymic' lanes, London is a breeze.

It might be raining, but let's have some positivity!

The bus lane might be part-time, or it might be cancelled during the olympics.​
The photo does look daft, but we don't really have the full picture here.

The bus lane might be part-time, or it might be cancelled during the olympics.​

Exactly. "Transport for London today insisted that where Olympic lanes are not on the near side of the road bus lanes will be suspended to allow normal traffic to use them."

But why let the facts get in the way of a good story... :rolleyes:

Exactly. "Transport for London today insisted that where Olympic lanes are not on the near side of the road bus lanes will be suspended to allow normal traffic to use them."

But why let the facts get in the way of a good story... :rolleyes:

Hmmmmm.

When there is already an established bus lane then why not just declare the Bus lanes 'Olympic Lanes' then? Ordinary traffic is used to keeping out of them. And there are established enforcement mechanisms and penalties to control them. And there would be no need to mess about with extra road markings.

:doh:

Hmmmmm.

When there is already an established bus lane then why not just declare the Bus lanes 'Olympic Lanes' then? Ordinary traffic is used to keeping out of them. And there are established enforcement mechanisms and penalties to control them. And there would be no need to mess about with extra road markings.

:doh:

Because buses stop at, erm, bus stops. :doh:

The whole idea of the Olympic lanes is to provide unimpeded progress for Games-related traffic.

As sbove...

Bas laned are on the NS to allow frequent stops.

Olympic lanes are on the OS to allow rapid unimpeded progress.

The scary thing is not only did somebody think it was a good idea, his boss agreed with him.

No, the scary thing is that an intelligent member of this forum could swallow hook, line and sinker a Daily Mail story that spins the predictable "everything to do with the Games is crazy and is therefore bound to fail" line.

Why assume that the Olympic Route Network planners somehow did this by accident, without making provision for any non-Olympic traffic that would still be using the road? Or do you really think they thought to themselves: "Hmm, if we do this, we can force all drivers into one lane or the other, and thus fine them either way." Or perhaps, "Great! This will cause utter traffic chaos as drivers stop and try to do a U-turn, thereby undermining the whole point of having the bus lane or the Olympic lane in the first place."

The associated signage (cleverly out of shot) will make it clear which lanes drivers can use when.

they also have the Olympic lanes towards the middle of the road so tha where possible, Olympic lanes in both directions are side by side.

And the better idea is?

Have the games permenently sited in Greece with every nation paying a 'subscription' to cover the initial build costs (or use the facilities they built for 2004).

On an ongoing basis I suspect the money the IOC makes out of the TV rights would be enough to cover it...but that would mean nowhere near as much freeloading around the world at prospective host countries expense would it now...so that idea is a fail.

Cynical, me?!

I'd give Stratman some credit though...

You must admit the image is a bit funny and does take you by surprise when you first look at it. :)

But, as others pointed out, this is not really an issue as such. The signage will obviously clarify what drivers should do.

Have the games permenently sited in Greece with every nation paying a 'subscription' to cover the initial build costs (or use the facilities they built for 2004).

On an ongoing basis I suspect the money the IOC makes out of the TV rights would be enough to cover it...but that would mean nowhere near as much freeloading around the world at prospective host countries expense would it now...so that idea is a fail.

Cynical, me?!

Don't forget that cities bid - and compete, no less - to host the Games. It's not as though they're foisted upon a country under protest. Hosting the Games should be a source of great national pride and, if done properly, a way of demonstrating to the world what we have to offer.

I'd give Stratman some credit though...

You must admit the image is a bit funny and does take you by surprise when you first look at it. :)

But, as others pointed out, this is not really an issue as such. The signage will obviously clarify what drivers should do.

Granted, it's a gift to funny picture brigade, and would have sat quite well in the "what's wrong with this picture" thread. I also rather like knighterrant's take on it. :)

But, as stated, I think it's also important to make clear that there's more to it than meets the eye rather than just dismissing it as lunacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom