One disadvantage of buying a pre-reg / used car ...

• Thread starter Deleted member 154425
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 154425

Bit of a - D'ur - moment - but when buying a new ish car - still get down on the floor and check every little corner.

Picked up an E63S that was driving by the director of the car dealer and Topaz just rang me essentially saying the bumper needs a re-spray due to the road rash that goes all the way down to the metal ...

Didn't notice obviously when picking up - so always worth literally going down and dirty with used cars - dealer or not.

Sounds unusual - a few small stone chips on a used car I can understand, but isn’t the front bumper made of plastic (?)

How bad is the damage - if it’s so bad it needs repainting can you not take this up with the dealer?

As above - the bumper is plastic - there's no metal?

Maybe the original colour pre-paint is silver - I don't know - but you can see it clearly went through paint, laquer and base coat - but obviouusly adding PPF to that won't be pretty so it gets a re-paint .. but my point is - it is better to have an even better look when picking up a car from the dealer - if anything it is good ammunition for a discount .. .

Primer can be white/grey etc, I wouldn’t think it would be silver - you have the clear coat (lacquer), then the base coat (ie the colour of the paint) on top of the primer.

As I say, if it’s bad enough to warrant a respray, get in touch with the dealer and discuss it with them - perhaps if you didn’t notice it until after collection, they may not have spotted it either?

Nothing to lose :thumb:

Why don't we always get the car on the ramp before handing over the money?

Pink tinted glasses when picking up our dream ride .. . To be fair - the repaint is a few hundred quid - still better than buying new ... and at least I know this thing isn't a lemon

Similar story with my E63, albeit not a new car. When I inspected it, the paintwork looked pretty good except for a couple of orange peel sections. It appeared stonechip free.
On giving it its first wash, whatever they had applied to the front bumper to hide the stonechips disappeared. Lots of white dots all over the front bumper. It really needs a respray.

Similar story with my E63, albeit not a new car. When I inspected it, the paintwork looked pretty good except for a couple of orange peel sections. It appeared stonechip free.
On giving it its first wash, whatever they had applied to the front bumper to hide the stonechips disappeared. Lots of white dots all over the front bumper. It really needs a respray.
I had exactly the same on a hurriedly bought black VW Passat, less than a year old and looked great on collection.

After a few washes the bonnet had been clearly scrubbed with something abrasive.

Poorboys black hole glaze to the rescue.

It's annoying - but when I think about it - I don't think I would have refused / declined or even made a big deal out of it - I think even if they'd say 'well tough' - I'd still walk away with it. But thankfully by mid-next week mine will have PPF .. Was first concerned about the PCP but I think in the small print it says you'd have to have scratches more than x to get reductions ... small stone chips on a front bumper - I would say - are more like usage marks - even though it annoys me lol .

Topaz did say they can still PPF but you'd end up with bubbles etc. and given I am annoyed by phone screen protector bubbles I knew it needs a paint ...

It's annoying - but when I think about it - I don't think I would have refused / declined or even made a big deal out of it - I think even if they'd say 'well tough' - I'd still walk away with it. But thankfully by mid-next week mine will have PPF .. Was first concerned about the PCP but I think in the small print it says you'd have to have scratches more than x to get reductions ... small stone chips on a front bumper - I would say - are more like usage marks - even though it annoys me lol .

Topaz did say they can still PPF but you'd end up with bubbles etc. and given I am annoyed by phone screen protector bubbles I knew it needs a paint ...
If you are buying on the drip would there have been much difference on the monthlies to buy new?

If you are buying on the drip would there have been much difference on the monthlies to buy new?

About 500 / month. So 600 for a respray is nothing. To be honest, I will likely keep it after the lease. The balloon payment is already in savings but will decide in three years.

You are modifying a car owned by a finance house???

I guess the saving on new offers the almost certainly higher APR on used?

Shouldnt they be allowing new paint to settle for a few weeks, 2-3 weeks at least before applying PPF or ceramic coating?

If it’s the whole width of the underside of the front bumper then probably likely done whilst being driven on/off car transporter?

Bumper rash repair would not be a major issue for me........assuming up to standard & the match is good. Fair play they declared it & agreed to sort. Many prepped used cars have bumper repairs done prior to resale.

I know someone who used to do paintless dent removal on brand new cars at the docks.

Last edited:
You are modifying a car owned by a finance house???

I guess the saving on new offers the almost certainly higher APR on used?

You lost me. What am I modifying that isn't reversible ? Are you talking about the repaint ? That's a repair not modification.

Also there is a difference between a lease and PCP. Unless I 'sell it back' - the car belongs to me. As in, unless I take it back, they will just deduct the balloon as final payment. For a proper lease you probably not even allowed to change the wheels.

As for the savings. Pre registered cars are immediately cheaper due to depreciation. So a new E63S is 100k+ but for a six month old you likely able to save 30k ish.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it’s the whole width of the underside of the front bumper then probably likely done whilst being driven on/off car transporter?

Based on the pictures it isn't just the underside. It's clearly chips and it's all over the place. Quite shocking actually. It even has some on the sides but they are tiny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom