• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Opinions on a situation please?

Was it ever determind as to whether the vehicle was actually still under warranty? If so, why was it taken to an indi, and why would the main dealer charge for the work? That doesn't stack up....

I dont think it was under warranty, otherwise why did the dealer charge.

Try asking the customer for more money as you obviously undercharged him for the first fault repair considering Mercedes took £400 pounds worth of parts and labor to replace the same component.

"Was it ever determind as to whether the vehicle was actually still under warranty? If so, why was it taken to an indi, and why would the main dealer charge for the work? That doesn't stack up..."

People are strange that way.. I worked on a 59 plate 3 week old Transit today.. something to do with the long wait to book it in...

Wasn't a Mercedes by the way,but was German...

Last edited:
Hi Tiff,

I find that cars are harder and harder to work on. To replace 3 engine mounts on an S600 takes nearly 5 hours. What is all that about? They have become over complicated and not much better for it.

I have worked on and for Mercedes, Porsche and Audi. 95% at MB. They are all very difficult to diagnose. Some problems are near impossible. Diag equipment has come on miles but it does not tell you everything. It never will.

Our jobs as technicians is not easy at all. The main issue is parts supply and getting the right one on time and parts that work too. Wrong and not working parts are the biggest cause of stress for me. (and sometimes Jack too)

We recently had a similar issue as you Tiff with a BMW with a running fault. We replaced the cam shaft sensor and it did not cure the issue but we were so sure that this was the cause for the fault we bought another one (exactly the same part) and fitted it. It cured the problem.

I tried to claim for the faulty sensor and sent it back to them for testing. They sent it back saying that there was nothing wrong with it when there clearly is.

This faulty part cost be 4 hours messing around and a whole load of stress. I know where you are coming from Tiff

Cam shaft sensors seem to be the cause of lots of headaches!! :rolleyes:

Had loads of instances of this, and not always tthe sensor. Had a Focus TDdi in recently and after diagnosis with the diagnosis machine... camshaft sensor fault,symptoms-poor starting,cutting out at idle... machine was wrong, it was the dual mass flywheel....moving so much the timing was all over the place...replaced clutch with an old fashioned solid flywheel and clutch kit at half the cost of the correct DMF and kit. Car running perfectly well now, and the manufacturer who is the only one making the old fashioned retrogade solid flywheel can't keep up with demand! older IS better!

Yeah, its getting worse week by week. Electronic brake piston rectraction, where you can't change brake pads without a dedicated computer. Tracking adjustment by laptop (this is true) -Dialogy stuff,the tank of fluid to be injected into exhausts,electronic handbrakes. Service lights where you have to rub your tummy and pat your head,whilst pressing button 'A' for ten secs turn the ingnition on and hum "oh Joahnna" all at once... even Merc with their synthetic Pee...

I need to be able to work with mechanics,hydraulics,electrics,electronics,computers,refrigeration,bodywork,paintwork and upholstery,but we are still seen as scum,oily rags,fitters,cowboys,and we are paid accordingly.

In my opinion cars are LESS reliable than they have been for many years,getting more and more complex,and made from cheaper and cheaper materials.There are more models in each manufacturers range so parts supply will become more of a problem,and the government are paying people to run out and buy more of the things.

Everyone go and buy a W124 NOW.. We're all doomed. DOOMED I tells ya!:eek:

Not so doomed in this little part of Lancashire. Just picked up a 190D Auto, K Reg. An indicated 178,000K miles (very ish, ex private hire:eek:) very smooth steering wheel and new pedal rubbers:eek: EBay - No MoT:eek::eek:

Just tested today, few things to sorted out by my buddy IBW and she will be a good un. Diff is a bit graunchy. Front electric windows powered by the rear switches on the centre consol panel (if you get my drift) Front switches have been punched thru the consol. Couple of holes in the dash from the taxi meter, but I can live with them.

You dont need a Star Machine to fix these puppies. Once its MoT'd its 12 months cheap motoring. Road tax 'til end of Feb into the bargain.

Just say no to veg oil:bannana:.

LOL, see what I drive....

I drive some really tasty motors every day, have had Porsches,Ferrari 360's,M5's etc in at the garage,but getting in to my 190D at the end of the day,winding down the window with that funny little handle,and tuning into Chris Evans adds a little sanity to my day. The most hi tech thing in it is my multimeter in the boot. near mint, completely fit for the next 200K and cost less than an EGR valve... Everyone who's been in it has commented on how quiet it is,even the owner of a brand new Saab 9-5! Love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom