Opinions please on W124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barrie013

Hello everyone, just joined the forum and I would value some advice /opinions on buying a W124 estate.
I am moving in a couple of months, and treating myself to a new car with some of the profit from the sale of my house. I think that I fancy a W124 estate, but I don't know whether to go for a 230 or 280. When I finally find one to look at, is there anything specific to these vehicles to look out for?
I hope to get one with FSH, and I'm not concerned with its age, but I would like one that I can service myself, so no complicated ECU's. Also, what sort of trim levels and toys can I expect to find ?
I'll stop now because I'm going on a bit, as you do when you get to my age...

barrie013 said:
That's just about answered all my questions ! Looks like a 300TE for me.

nah get a 320 - it's a much better engine than the 300 :)

if you fancy a trip over to Bexhill (it's not far from Dover) you can come along and take mine out for a spin.

Andy

Thanks for the offer...
Doubt if I'll ever make it though:
Packing
Moving stuff down to Wales
Autistic son
Wife just out of hospital
Big black dog to walk
etc..
Just as well it doesn't all happen at once.

I'm surprised that the drivers seat is worn at only 81k miles but Im guessing that means cloth trim

no mention of the other toys such as 7 seats, aircon, cruise control etc or whether it's got the 5 speed box.

A crap description usually means it won't get many bids so it's probably worth a look for anyone localish.

The 320 is a fine engine and gives the estate enough power to really upset an awful lot of people at the traffic lights :)

Andy

years ago I bought my first merc a 1990 300te24 off a friend of a friend with 130,000 miles on the clock. Kept it quite a few years, towed with it, thrashed it and sold it with over 290,000 miles on the clock. She lives in France now with over 350,000 miles on the clock and she's still going strong and looks as good as new. The engine, gearbox and rear axle have never been touched.
That why I now have so many Mercs !

Years ago I had a 1971 250CE, but had to get rid of it for practical reasons.I still miss that MB 'feel'. I also had the use of a W123 250 saloon, one of the thirstiest cars I have ever driven, but again with that "feel" (for want of a better word ) that I have only ever got with a MB. I love the look of the W123 , and my my first thought was a 280TE, but good ones are starting to go up in price, more than I can warrant spending on a 'shopping' car. Seems like the W124 will be my best bet from what I've seen so far, and the build quality should prevent Jimi (7 years old, autistic with very challenging behaviour) destroying the door locks on it. Thoughts...get a 7 seater, put the kids in the back and let the dog have the back seats !!

barrie013 said:
get a 7 seater, put the kids in the back and let the dog have the back seats !!

exactly what we did when we only had the one dog.

The kids get a much better view out the back so seem to fight less :)

Andy

grober said:
talk to Bolide and take a look at his web page http://www.w124.co.uk/

I have been in touch with Nick several times and he seems a nice and genuine guy. I am going down to see him next week to view an E320 he's just got and hopefully the car will be as described, which would be a nice change from the horrors I have seen so far. It might just be the car I am looking for.:bannana: I'll let you know how I get on.

Barrie, I have just sent you a PM.

I think they're great cars - I recently bought a 280te which is in superb nick -save for the chrome wheelarches but hey you can't have everything! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom