Paint colour match

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Meldrew2

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mine: BMW X4 2.0d M-Sport (Red) Hers: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport (Black) Sorry about that...
The front wing of my ML has been resprayed after a dent repair by a local, well-established repair firm..

The paint appears to be a different colour - this is especially noticeable in bright light. The car is metallic blue, but the resprayed panel appears a bit purple ish

The repairer says that the paint he used is the correct colour - the car must have faded - I don't quite believe this as the door shuts etc (which are not exposed to UV) are the same colour as the rest of the car.

I think his paint is wrong - but how do I find out for sure?

He suggests having the car machine polished to "restore the old paint".

Any advice would be very welcome.

The front wing of my ML has been resprayed after a dent repair by a local, well-established repair firm..

The paint appears to be a different colour - this is especially noticeable in bright light. The car is metallic blue, but the resprayed panel appears a bit purple ish

The repairer says that the paint he used is the correct colour - the car must have faded - I don't quite believe this as the door shuts etc (which are not exposed to UV) are the same colour as the rest of the car.

I think his paint is wrong - but how do I find out for sure?

He suggests having the car machine polished to "restore the old paint".

Any advice would be very welcome.

I don't really believe the repairers view and whilst machine polishing may help, to be honest it's not "the norm" to just paint individual panels. Metallics are difficult to match, typically painting a front wing would also result in some blending in on adjacent panels (especially the front door).

How did they 'match' the colour? By paint code?
What did you ask them to do? Just paint the wing and nothing else?
Have you used the bodyshop before?

How did they 'match' the colour? By paint code?

I believe so.

What did you ask them to do? Just paint the wing and nothing else?

It started as a "smart repair" but the bodywork was too strong to push out a small dent on top of wing made by a drunk falling over the car. This repair was their recommended course of action.

Have you used the bodyshop before?

Not personally, but they were recommended.

I really dont buy their excuse. Over the past 2 years we have had some bodywork done on a 17 year old silver 124 and a 13 year old VW polo in non metallic blue. Paint match was perfect on both. The guy who did ours says they can adjust the paint for age/fading.

Matching metallics is a nightmare. Even the thickness of clearcoat can effect the underlying colour. Its a job best left to the professionals--------wait a minute--- these guys are the professionals!!!! At least that's what it will say on their invoices!
I have a brilliant silver car- very difficult to match-- One company had 3 attempts at a wing repair--- GOT IT ALMOST RIGHT AT THE THIRD ATTEMPT after my complaints! Second wing repair with another company-- same colour match with aged paint problem----- impossible to detect its been done!!! So its entirely possible------ done by the right people. I would suggest getting the opinion of a knowledgeable third party and if they concur with your opinion take the car back and ask them to make a better job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom