• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Parking Brake Mechanism

Trickythemerc

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 220 CDI Sport 2009
My W209 park brake is sticking on. I think it may be the adjuster under the rear seat, either siezed or broken spring. I have a new one ready to fit but can't make out wether it fits from under the car or just drops in from inside. Looking at WIS it doesn't show any fixings apart from the nut holding the dust cover.

Anyone fitted one of these ???

Assuming that your W209 is based on the W203, then it's under the rear bench, access is from inside the cabin.

If it's based on the W204, then the sticking linkage is under the dash at the front of the car.

Thanks Markjay. I know it is under the rear seat and how to access it. What I am trying to find out is if I need to change the complete adjuster assembly, is it fitted from under the car or from the inside ?

You can not replace from inside the car ,it has to be dropped from underneath (at least on a 203) , removing the drive shaft helps

You do not define 'sticking on'

if the pedal is simply not returning that is different from the drake 'sticking on' . Not sure how a 209 looks , but here is a 203.

Failure of numerous springs can cause problems , it's unlikely the main clock spring above the foot pedal is broken.

Attachments

• adjuster.JPG
    adjuster.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 6
  • trap door 2.JPG
    trap door 2.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 5
  • MB handbrake.jpg
    MB handbrake.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Spring 2.JPG
    Spring 2.JPG