W203 C200 Kompressor SE Auto Coupe - 203742 - Parking Brake Adjustment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnsco

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E280CDI SPORTS ESTATE and C200 KOMPRESSOR SE Coupe Auto (1.8 lit petrol)
There is a lot of travel on the parking brake pedal --- Too much.
Having checked out a couple of relevant threads, on the Forum, I guess the cable adjuster is under the rear seat.
Can it be accessed from above after lifting the rear seat ?
Is there anything I should be looking out for ?
I guess I should check the adjustment in the rear brake drums first.
Hope I don't find any horror stories there.
Previous maintenance of this vehicle has not been good.

The parking brake cable adjuster can be accessed by removing the rear bench cushion. I can't help with info regarding adjustment at the brake drums, but I would start with the adjustment under the rear seat anyway.

Thanks markjay.
I'll do as you say.
You've confirmed what I needed to know before I start.
I've adjusted parking brakes on a number of W210 cars.
I've always worked on the basis:
Get the drum adjustments done first - Then adjust the travel on the cable adjustment.
However ..... The cable adjustment is easier.
Thanks.

Thanks markjay.
I'll do as you say.
You've confirmed what I needed to know before I start.
I've adjusted parking brakes on a number of W210 cars.
I've always worked on the basis:
Get the drum adjustments done first - Then adjust the travel on the cable adjustment.
However ..... The cable adjustment is easier.
Thanks.
Yep ,I would do under the seat first . You may find with the drum adjustment that the knurled knob that needs turning is seized up . Mine was on one of the cars a few years ago .
When I changed the rear discs I cleaned and lubed the adjuster . .
The adjuster is under a plate in the very middle of the rear seats (on my CLK) . I think both seat bases need to come out to get the central plastic section out to reveal the inspection hatch .

Yep ,I would do under the seat first . You may find with the drum adjustment that the knurled knob that needs turning is seized up . Mine was on one of the cars a few years ago .
When I changed the rear discs I cleaned and lubed the adjuster . .
The adjuster is under a plate in the very middle of the rear seats (on my CLK) . I think both seat bases need to come out to get the central plastic section out to reveal the inspection hatch
Looking at the rear brakes diagram on Nemiga, it looks like the parking brake shoe position is not self-adjusting.
Just before I bought this car, the rear brake pads and discs were replaced.
Whoever did that made a poor shot at the job, as the shims and pins were very badly worn.
The rear brakes were squealing like hell, and that was one of the first (of many ) jobs that I had to do to the car.
It wouldn't surprise me if the bounder slackened off the parking brake shoe position and was too lazy to readjust it.
I'll soon find out.

It wouldn't surprise me if the bounder slackened off the parking brake shoe position and was too lazy to readjust it.
I'll soon find out.
Just as I thought.
I accessed the parking brake adjuster by raising the rear seat bases.
The adjuster is under a steel cover --- Easily removed.
There was about 10mm of slack adjustment on the adjustment nut.
Ridiculous !
I took it up to remove the slack.
Problem solved - Parking brake now works fine. - Just like it should.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom