PC or MAC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldcro

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range Rover Sport 3.0 HSE
I've had various PC's for years and am thinking about getting an Apple imac 3.06ghz for a change. As the imac allows Vista to be installed as well as Leopard I could have the best of both systems, at least that is my theory.

Is this a good idea or should I stick to my trusty DEll?

You'll like the iMac. If you use Parallels or VMWare (about £30 each) you can run Windows & OS X simultaneously which is entertaining

I strongly recommend upgrading the RAM to 3 or 4 Gb. Crucial are good for prices & prompt delivery

Nick Froome
www.pvision.co.uk

I'm a mac man and I recommend them, but I guess it depends what you want to do with it.

Of course modern macs have the advantage of being intel based and, as you say, you can install windows on them too. This means that if you decide that you really don't like OS X, you can stick windows on it and be happy.

I must admit that I don't use bootcamp or parallels/vmware to run windows, I stay within OS X all the time and it's fine for what I use it for, which is messing about on the internet mostly, but also photos, music, the few documents I need to write etc.

for games I have a PS3 :)

dave

Hello

I buy these things for work in quite large numbers, have to say they are very nice looking pieces of kit, especially the 24" one (athough for most use 20" would be fine I'm sure)

Saying that I still use a PC, use the wife iBook and it is odd for a PC user...I could get use to it though.

We have them dual booted at work, so either choose Windows OS or Mac.. however using that parrallels software above you can be in the Mac os and use windows software.

Also agree do not upgrade you memory from apple as it cost a fortune. We get most of ours with 3.ogb (didn't think windows Vista see's more than 3gb unless you get the 64bit version)

Either way a 3.06 one with 3gb ram is a very nice machine

some of ours from last year waiting new updates and clean up.

IMAGE_128.jpg

this is how ours boot up

IMAGE_131.jpg

Thanks a lot everyone, I do like the idea of dual booting, will add VMware fusion to the list and see what horrendous price it all comes to.

Mac's all the way - would never go back to PC. Simple, quick and easy to run plus never had virus. Have iMac, ibook G4, Powermac, and just about to get 24" imac. Best machines ever plus i have iphone and ipod all compatible.

Thanks a lot everyone, I do like the idea of dual booting, will add VMware fusion to the list and see what horrendous price it all comes to.

Worth trying to find someone at Uni so that you can use their id to get educational discount(15%), plus the 3 yr applecare warranty at £58 rather than £199. Also there is an alternative to VMWare Fusion called Virtual Box which is free so you may as well try it first. I was a PC man for years and bought a Macbook mainly for a change, I won't be going back!:)

If you know someone flying about on Business you can buy VAT free from Dixons VAT Free shop. Brings a black Macbook down from £ 950 to £ 810

Hello

I buy these things for work in quite large numbers, have to say they are very nice looking pieces of kit, especially the 24" one (athough for most use 20" would be fine I'm sure)

Saying that I still use a PC, use the wife iBook and it is odd for a PC user...I could get use to it though.

We have them dual booted at work, so either choose Windows OS or Mac.. however using that parrallels software above you can be in the Mac os and use windows software.

Also agree do not upgrade you memory from apple as it cost a fortune. We get most of ours with 3.ogb (didn't think windows Vista see's more than 3gb unless you get the 64bit version)

Either way a 3.06 one with 3gb ram is a very nice machine

some of ours from last year waiting new updates and clean up.

IMAGE_128.jpg

this is how ours boot up

IMAGE_131.jpg

Windows Vista with SP1 sees more than 3Gb... and has major performance improvements....

Forgot to say that 3-year AppleCare is essential, particularly for anyone buying a laptop

Nick Froome
www.pvision.co.uk

Windows Vista with SP1 sees more than 3Gb... and has major performance improvements....

No it doesn't.

This is owned by DSG Retail ( PC World, Dixons, Currys)
http://www.macwarehouse.co.uk/

And you'll find black are cheaper than 800 without VAT anyway...
I would also keep an eye on the Apple Refurb section of their website.

As about I also do this for a job - or at least I run the people who do this as their job; We are now dual booting and find this website GREAT for apps. http://www.bombich.com/

I thought politics and religion were banned topics here...

Anyhow :p I work with Macs, and as long as you don't listen to the "Apple is the best in the world and has no equal" brigade then you have a good start.

As others mentioned, if you're getting an iMac 3 or 4 GB of ram are almost essential. Also, try to avoid the 20" model if you plan on doing anything that requires a "proper" screen - there were lawsuits and whatnot... Apparently the 20" model doesn't have a 24-bit (millions of colours) screen, but an 18-bit screen...

Michele

Definately a Big Mac-with the gerkins!! Oh, sorry-is this thread about pooters? Er, erm....a PC

Vista will see up to 3.75gb on most newer 4 gig machines but will report 4gb. 64 bit editions will see much more...

The amount of RAM the PC OS will see is pretty irrelevant. OS X is a UNIX OS and swops out to the hard drive when it runs out of RAM. As RAM is a few thousand times faster than a hard drive a UNIX machine will run faster with more RAM. This is particularly true if you use multiple applications simultaneously and switch between them

Which is a long-winded way of saying "Buy more RAM!"

Nick Froome
www.pvision.co.uk

Lots of food for thought, but I'm still finding it hard to justify the cost. My Dell has a better spec than the iMac so I was looking for hearing about much better software for a home user than is available on a PC.

My feeling is I would be paying for the design with an iMac which makes it more of a fashion statement rather than a working tool. Their prices for memory indicates to me that Apple think they can charge customers whatever they like (yes I do know memory is available for nearly half the price Apple charge).

Lots have said once you try an Apple computer you'll never go back to a PC, maybe true I don't know but finding out is so expensive I couldn't afford to go back anyway.

Personally I think the choice has to come down to software, PCs don't run final cut or logic...

... which is why I run premiere and cubase!

Plenty of fanboys here I see :D

Since a mac runs on PC architecture now anyway, isnt a MAC just an overpriced PC with pretty bits?

Plenty of fanboys here I see :D

Since a mac runs on PC architecture now anyway, isnt a MAC just an overpriced PC with pretty bits?

Precisely... You can run OsX on a run of the mill Dell machine... with some tweaking...

There were reports of a company starting to sell "OsX Compatible" machines... I wonder where they went....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom