petrol into a deisel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonathan

Car
CLK 280 CAB
My wife phoned me from the petrol station the other day saying she had put £15 of petrol into her 2012 E350 cab deisel and was late for picking the children up from school what should she do as there was no one else that could do it for her i told her to fill it to the brim with deisel, get the children and park it up. Ive syphoned off three quarters of the tank quite easily but just cant seem to get the last quarter out without lifting the car and getting underneath. Is there a reserve tank off the main tank that im not reaching. Im now thinking as theres only quarter of a tank left to fill it up again and drive it as normal. After the £15 of petrol she put £75 of deisel which if my maths are any good is 16% after emptying it to quarter of a tank its still 16% so adding three quarters of a tank more of deisel should bring it to 4%. Feel free to correct any of my maths as im no mathematician. What are your thoughts on this or should i try something else first. The car is a lease car and goes back to them a year march but would still like things to be right.Thanks for any help you can give as the taxi's everywhere are mounting up now. regards Jon.

I would risk 4%.

read the manual on cold weather running - some refer to adding 10% petrol to stop waxing.

I reguarly add 10%+ - but its old skool not cdi.

read the manual on cold weather running - some refer to adding 10% petrol to stop waxing.

I reguarly add 10%+ - but its old skool not cdi.

Cdi pumps and injectors are made of butter.

I did the same as your wife last month...£20 petrol, followed by £75 of diesel...no ill effects, and I didn't drain anything from the tank. I just kept topping the tank up with diesel every 100 miles or so.

Thanks for all you comments! I think i'll just top the diesel up and hope for the best. You may see on the engine section if it goes wrong!!!

If you want it all out, disconnect the fuel return pipe and start the engine. It will soon pump the tank dry.

As above I am sure you will be ok...the real damage would have been if she would have filled with petrol, not noticed and tried to drive off...

Many stories like this on here, I think upto 10% tank is ok? maybe someone can confirm this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom