Photobucket - an alternative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
With its adverts and general dross, PB has become slow and irritating :mad:.

Are there any more user friendly alternatives?

I switched to flickr, but although the uploading is much better, and it opens on your library page, getting a working link to paste into a forum post is more convoluted, and out of four lines of code forced on you, you'd have to manually edit out three. Many people don't bother, that's why you see bits of code (in text form) hanging off a picture - something like "posted by such-and-such on Flickr etc".

I posted a brief step-by-step on the other side, can copy it to you?

Postimage.org I use

Couldn't tell you if it has adverts or not though as my adblocker stays on full time

google photo - unlimited uploads of photos and videos

I use Google photos to upload all my images but haven't yet found how to easily link into posts on the forums. This is where photobucket wins hands down, two clicks and your done. It is a bit slow if using a mobile though.

Google photos is only free and unlimited if you stick to reduced size files.

I use Google photos to upload all my images but haven't yet found how to easily link into posts on the forums. This is where photobucket wins hands down, two clicks and your done. It is a bit slow if using a mobile though

Agreed. Although I don't post from my phone I find the PB app is next to useless from an iPad. If I've anything worth posting and ain't near a PC I go to PB via t'web and try and linky in from there. Still awkward though.

Ditto, I never use the app.

OK, here's a brief guide to extracting a link from flickr :)

• Open the Camera Roll page (next time you login it'll start there automatically)
  • Drop you picture there
  • Refresh
  • Move your cursor over to the newly uploaded image, and click on two white arrows in the top right-hand corner
  • The image will open on a darkened background
  • Click on View on photo page in the bottom right-hand corner of the page
  • The image will open on a dark grey background
  • Click on white curved arrow pointing to the right, at the bottom right-hand corner of the page
  • Click on BBCode in the "Share 1 photo to" window
  • Make sure the Original size is selected in the lower drop-down field
  • (you only have to do these two steps once - it will remember the choice for the next time)
  • Copy already highlighted code from the upper field
  • Paste into your post
  • Delete the first, third and fourth lines of code, leaving only second line - it should start and end with "img" and "/img" in square brackets (without quotes)
Done :thumb:

It is actually a lot quicker, than this description suggests, and after a couple of times, very easy to follow.

Just to illustrate the last point:

This is what you get from flickr:

25289418789_4b03a444b3_o.png

This is what you need to keep in your post to have a correct link:

22746594838_fa2c317c9b_o.png

In Photobucket, just upload the image (it's automatically done if you have the app loaded, otherwise drag 'n drop into the open web page.) Click the image, click the IMG tag and paste into the post (no edits). Done..

IMG]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x223/Whitenemesis_photos/26_zpsvnqtgzm3.jpg[/IMG

(I've removed preceding and trailing square brackets) Gives a gratuitous shot of my Lexus ;)

26_zpsvnqtgzm3.jpg

Yes, getting a link from Photobucket is infinitely simpler, than from Flickr - it's the nagging ads, and very slow navigation, that pushed me away.

Also, at the time I switched, they (PB) used to forcibly upsize images to 1200dpi, so small, carefully edited, photos were ruined.

This was going on for a few months, despite their promises to fix, so I moved away.

I still have a few PB accounts and though this problem is gone now, am not going back, as flickr is so much faster, and no pestering with ads and upgrade prompts.

Test image from google drive

Open the drive folder, right click on the pic>google drive>view on web

When pic opens on web, right click and copy image address, then paste in IMG tags

lIcSK-k9zz2gm0T6YcFm6kyZ1ixHx_mKLSwcpu-RP3ERu-ckxQT7RC-Zy86ETjBXmyqWJiRVTTgNNOY=w1366-h638-rw

I use Imgur for a lot of my photos. Very similar to photobucket, and you get the simple link like photobucket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom