• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Plumbing question vaillant eco-tec plus 831 combi boiler

johnsco

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E280CDI SPORTS ESTATE and C200 KOMPRESSOR SE Coupe Auto (1.8 lit petrol)
We use the above for our central heating and hot water.
It's never given a moment of trouble, and I don't want to spoil the trend.

Like half of the country, we've just experienced a freeze-up and burst to an outside pipe.
It only supplies the outside tap at the back of the house, so I've done a temporary fix by bending the 15mm copper pipe back on itself and hammering it flat.
To do a more-permanent fix, I need to turn off the water to re-position the tap inside the back porch.

When I turn off the water and disconnect the burst pipe section, are there any precautions I need to take re the combi boiler ?
Obviously, I won't be turning on the hot water taps, while the water supply is off.

All the connection pipes to the boiler come from above.
So there is no chance of the water draining away from the boiler when I have the feed to the outside tap disconected.

Can I leave the central heating running without a water supply attached ?
Are there any other dos and don'ts ?

Any advice will be warmly appreciated.

No. Just turn the water off, do the job, then turn it back on again. And yes you can run the heating
.I live in NI, where 40,000 households have been without water over the past week. They all have heat ( except the stupid ones who turned it off because the mains water supply was cut off).

Your system is sealed and the water will not run away because the water is off.

Last edited:
Thanks Renault12TS.
I was rather hoping that would be the answer.
:)
My heart goes out to those who lose any of the essential services at this time of the year.
Cheers.
Johnsco

It's a sealed system so shutting the mains won't affect your heating. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom