Possible explnation for recent 'smoke' problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kinky

MB Enthusiast
Car
All sorts of odds n sods
I've posted recently some possible issues I've been having with the car in that I get the odd cloud of smoke as I'm driving along.

Well, tonight I made a discovery which might be a possible explanation ....

In the floor compartment in the boot (the front, deeper one) I have a 5-litre bottle of oil in case of emergency, and it's been there for a few months now.

About a week ago I stashed some cables and stuff in the same compartment.

Tonight, I went to take them out and discovered that they were covered in oil. BUGGER I thought - a leaky top on the oil bottle. So I picked up said bottle which had approximately 3.5 litres of oil in it, only to discover it was empty!

So, bottom line, 3.5 litres of oil has soaked into the base of the compartment, and god knows where else below that. So, that might be a possible cause for the smoke.

In addition to this, in the 2+ months since I had the smoke 'problems' it's never happened since.

I'm going to have to give it a good clean over the weekend.

Maxi K(ev)

It's probably dripped onto the exhaust mate, which could be a fire hazard, so check that out too.:crazy:

Brian - thanks for that. I must confess I hadn't thought of that. Cause for smoke yes (burning off on exhaust) - cause for fire - no.

K

I trust your oil level in the engine never changed.

Nice to hear it's nothing serious!

Hi Kinky,

I saw another post about a whining diff from you, which prompts another explanation:

Maybe it's your Missus fuming in the back ?

Cheers,

Philirv

:D Philirv - yeah - you might just be right there !!!!!!

Dieselman - yeah - oil levels all AOK (admittedly not checked this week though!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom