• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

R107 Oil Cooler

jack_merc

Hi, I've recently bought an '81 R107 280 SL. It needs a new oil cooler which is no longer produced by MB. Does anyone know where I might find one?

The part number is: 1161801665. There is one on ebay for an R107 SLC, however the part number is slightly different (1965 at the end) so I'm guessing they might not be interchangeable.

Any help greatly appreciated.

This is the 1665
PAqnBUYB2fjWbdH-SiSN8-i397.srv

Last edited:
Both are a seperate part number, they look identical on the diagram, not sure of the difference, perhaps it is on the unions?

Franey, your pics are not opening for me but I can state that there are two different union sizes. The problem getting a secondhand one of these is in the fact that the radiator tanks are aluminium and the unions are fusion welded to them. After a while the welds go crystaline and the unions part company under even light strain. (Guess how I know this:().

It's not all that long since I bought a new one from Merc. I'm surprised they are now no longer available.

Jack.

I tracked down the cooler on ebay A1161801965 and it's for a 380SLC and totally different in shape to a 280 oil cooler which fits down the side of the radiator. Are we talking about the same thing?

Thanks Druk and Franey.

That's the ebay one I saw. I haven't seen the cooler off my car as it's with the mechanic whose servicing it and has just discovered he couldn't get it from his usual sources. I spoke to Mercedes myself and they definitely don't do it anymore which seems odd but one of those things I guess.

I have found one online, but it's €500!
116 180 1665: OIL COOLER for Mercedes

How much was yours when you got it from MB?

Thanks Druk and Franey.

That's the ebay one I saw. I haven't seen the cooler off my car as it's with the mechanic whose servicing it and has just discovered he couldn't get it from his usual sources. I spoke to Mercedes myself and they definitely don't do it anymore which seems odd but one of those things I guess.

I have found one online, but it's €500!
116 180 1665: OIL COOLER for Mercedes

How much was yours when you got it from MB?

Sorry Druk, cannot upload either:confused:

I can supply the one he needs as a new aftermarket part but not cheap at around £280 a throw.

I see the MB ones are still available at
around £400 for the one he needs.

£280 is a big improvement on £400! How much would delivery be? I'm in Cobham, Surrey.

Delivery £8.00 by insured courier.

Will confirm on Monday if you want?

Need to confirm part number etc, will need the VIN.

I have most of the cooler hoses in stock too if you want to replace those at the same time.

Monday's good - I'll speak to the mechanic as well and ask about the hoses etc. What's the best way to contact you?

I replaced my cooler hoses and pipes which can rust but it's a big job entailing the removal of the entire inlet manifold. Worth it if you're keeping the car long term.

I see the MB ones are still available at
around £400 for the one he needs.

Is this on the Inchcape site? They've been rubbish for me lately telling me stuff is available then cancelling when they've found out it's not, then doubling the price for stuff that is.

Yes, inchcape price, presuming if the price is there then it is available?

Many of the things that are now obsolete I can now get.

We don't need the hoses so it's just the oil cooler. The chassis no is: 10704222009849. You can email me direct so we can sort out payment etc. The address is: jj.jacksonian at yahoo dot co dot uk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom