R171 radio antenna

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lotiman

Car
S204 C350 CDi; R171 200SLK; Lotus Evora 400; Lotus Exige V6
Having fitted new boot struts and generally tidied up the wife's recently bought low mileage SLK I have continued in my quest to make the car as good as it can possibly be.

Next on the agenda was the poor radio reception for some of the less well known stations I like to listen to. I trawled the various MB sites and it appears this is a common problem with fixes ranging from a new signal booster to a complete new antenna, or even modifying the existing short 'bee sting' type antenna.

To eliminate the OEM fitted signal booster as the potential problem, I unscrewed the short antenna and simply rested a metal coat hanger in the socket to see if that improved things. Well improve things it certainly did and I could now tune into all manner of small stations while sitting on the drive. Obviously I couldn't let the wife drive around with a coat hanger sticking out of the car wing like a 1970's taxi, so looked online and found this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006J9SYW2/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

At a cost of just £3.21 delivered I thought it's worth a punt so went for it. It arrived yesterday, just 2 days after placing the order and took about 30 seconds to fit, using the supplied 6mm stud. What a difference it makes! I can now pick up even more stations than with the improvised coat hanger and its altogether better than what we had with the OEM aerial.

After my previous success with finding cheap boot struts, I'm getting to like this way of shopping for SLK parts more and more. The one irony in all this though is that my wife never, ever switches the radio on whilst driving!:D

my 2008 reception is shocking. Even wasted money on getting a DAB adaptor, waste of time. Will see if i get joy from the antenna !

I'll give this a go too; the R230 radio reception isn't brilliant. Mind you, envious yob mentality may mean it is broken off by some low-life teenager, but at that price, I'm not too fussed.

The antenna on the rear wing on a R230 is for phone. The FM antenna is in the front windscreen..

Also, how short was the antenna. Was it really short and body coloured? If so, that was someone putting the SL antenna on it, which as I said above is not a radio antenna.
The antenna should look like this (different if you have DAB though): Mercedes-Benz SLK R171 Short Antenna A1718201775 Genuine | eBay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom