Radiator Fan Slow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarcelKan

Car
C200 Kompressor
Hi everyone,

I would like to get some opinions from you about the problem I have had now on my W203 C200K M111 engine as I was stuck on a traffic jam yesterday evening about 45 minutes due to an accident. I have noticed that my engine sound weird and when I looked at the engine temperature on the dashboard its near 100C. I quickly stopped the car at near the road side and opened the hood, found our the radiator fan was spinning rather slow not as it normally should be. I 've called the Inde this morning and they require the car to be left at the garage for a day to diagnose the problem. From other experiences, are there any other related problems or just the fan that need to be changed.:confused: Thank very much.

Chances are you will need a new FAN viscous coupling -----other outside possibility is a blown cylinder head gasket.

I have not yet send the car to the Inde garage at this moment. The car drive as normal..smooth and powerful as usual. Notice the temp today is in between 80c and 100c or perhaps 90C. The fan did kicked in but at slow spin. I am wondering is the fan has a variable rotation speed control depending on temperature or it is near to the end of its life. Thanks.

All depends on the type of fan. A pic would be useful as I'm sure there'll be lots of advice available later when they all get away from work.

Hi everyone,

I would like to get some opinions from you about the problem I have had now on my W203 C200K M111 engine as I was stuck on a traffic jam yesterday evening about 45 minutes due to an accident. I have noticed that my engine sound weird and when I looked at the engine temperature on the dashboard its near 100C. I quickly stopped the car at near the road side and opened the hood, found our the radiator fan was spinning rather slow not as it normally should be. I 've called the Inde this morning and they require the car to be left at the garage for a day to diagnose the problem. From other experiences, are there any other related problems or just the fan that need to be changed.:confused: Thank very much.

It's usually the wireing where chaffing on a W203.

I expect the fan control unit on the fan is faulty. A check on a Star will help.

I'll take some pictures to show the fan. Meanwhile, I had read the Original manual for the car that the coolant temp in normal driving conditions can rise up to 120C specially when driving up the hill. I also found out that the temp. sensor near was set to kick in the fan at 100C and some said that the fan viscous coupling clutch will be fully engaged at 100C and the fan will spin at full speed. Some people says that coolant temp between 80C - 100C is normal for kompressor engine. Which one is applicable...??? As in my case, the coolant temp. has never up to 100C even in 45 minutes traffic jam. Perhaps, the original mercedes manual should be considered.

As in my case, the coolant temp. has never up to 100C even in 45 minutes traffic jam. Perhaps, the original mercedes manual should be considered.
I'd reckon if temp stays below 100c in a traffic jam for 45mins you don't have a cooling problem. My car fan runs slowly after being in traffic, I assumed it was variable.

I have the same thing , when im stuck in traffic for a while the temp goes up to 95ish as but noramally goes back to 90 when i start moving for a while . I would only worry if was over 100 most of the time .

Thank for your comments. Perhaps, that weird loud sound (like the plane turbo propeller) from the front hood was the fan kicked in at full speed. I also came to know from other forums that the fan operating at variable speeds depending on coolant temperatures detected by the temp. sensor and control by the ECU + fan control unit. Cheers everyone and have a good day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom