radiator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blubber

i have 2003 w211, i need to change the radiator but merc want 484+vat,

euros have it for 180inc but its a valeo, on other forums they say that these have been upgraded so they do not leak into the gearbox, is this true or should i bite the bullit and buy from merc

any help appreciated

Get a Nissens rad from Euro. Good quality radiators.

they only have valeo

tried boston rads and northern but they have no stock

Last edited:
Hi blubber,

I've just fitted a valeo unit from Eurocarparts this week to my 230CE, everything is fine. If you are unhappy or unsure regarding leaks into the transmission, then pressure check of vacuum test the inlet and return pipes to the transmission first.

MB wanted £280 + vat and I had to wait two weeks for it to arrive, Eurocarparts - £100.00 including vat and 5 litres of antifreeze.

Regards,

Dash1

I have recently fitted a Nissens and it is fine.
However ... The one that failed was also a Nissens ... And that was not the original rad.
So - Where does this leave you ?

The Valeo issue was a major problem for one particular production batch that just happened to get fitted to MB cars over a particular period.
There is no reason to believe that there will be anything wrong with a Valeo rad purchased from ECP today.

Personally - I would fit either with confidence.

recently changed my radiator, purchased a BEHR rad from Rayson rads tel: 01935471474 for £289 all in. had to be ordered direct from germany but was here within 3 days.
Fitted and currently no problems.

ECP do Nissens rads. I have bought plenty from them.

Hi blubber,

I've just fitted a valeo unit from Eurocarparts this week to my 230CE, everything is fine. If you are unhappy or unsure regarding leaks into the transmission, then pressure check of vacuum test the inlet and return pipes to the transmission first.

MB wanted £280 + vat and I had to wait two weeks for it to arrive, Eurocarparts - £100.00 including vat and 5 litres of antifreeze.

Regards,

Dash1

The one I have just changed on my 230CE was the original radiator, having now covered 137,000 miles. I know its the original because I bought this vehicle new in August 1990.

With respect, valeo did have some earlier issues regarding MB, but I would have thought they would have learned some serious lessons from their earlier mistakes.

Eurocarparts can in fact supply Valeo, Behr or Nissens. All seem to be of similar quality and very similar in prices. At the time I bought mine this week, they only had the Valeo and Nissens in stock. Not sure about other branches of Euro, would have thought they all do the same options though.

Regards,

Dash1

Do not buy valeo from Euro, they are terrible.. We had one once after we were assured that these were modified units but the new one leaked immediately! Probably a bad egg but why risk it at all? Euro will get you a nissens from their main wembley branch within a few hours.
There is a rumour that all the old stock of "faulty" valeo radiators was sold onto the motor factors such as Euro, GSF etc and it is still floating around.

Hi Jay,

Mine seems to be OK, to be honest, I was quite suprised how well it fitted and I compared it to my old unit and was pretty much identical in every way.

No evidence of any leaks or cold spots around the rad either, I specifically temp-tested it once it reached operating temp with thermocouple probe. You may think this to be extreme, but I am in fact en engineering consultant for Jaguar/Land Rover Vehicles.

Regards,

Dash1

There is a rumour that all the old stock of "faulty" valeo radiators was sold onto the motor factors such as Euro, GSF etc and it is still floating around.

I respect your greater knowledge, Jay.
I am just an enthusiastic amateur !!

But - I really find this hard to believe.
The Valeo issue was years ago.
The turn-over at ECP and GSF is so rapid.
Surely the rogue batch(es) have long-ago disappeared into history.

When I wanted a replacement rad (earlier this year) ECP only had Nissens.
Other times, it appears they only have Valeo.

I agree that the branch location does not really matter, as they distribute centrally to all branches.

asked ecp for a nissens but they say they only have valeo, went to gsf and they too only had valeo

the branch manager at my local branch of ECP said he cannot guarantee which brand will turn up at time of order, and that the customer cannot specify a particular make.

The customer gets what turns up.

speak to Nissens, ask him what the availability is on the specific RAD for you car in the UK, point out that the usual suspects (GSF ECP) dont have stock and are pushing the competition (Valeo). He may be able to point you to alternative suppliers.

Components for AUTO
Henrik S. Thomsen
[email protected]

http://www.nissens.com/Contact/Afdelinger/leverandoerer_eng.html

Its a long shot but its only an email :thumb:

Good Luck

hi

Try Hella looking around £250 + Vat

Acid

the branch manager at my local branch of ECP said he cannot guarantee which brand will turn up at time of order, and that the customer cannot specify a particular make.

The customer gets what turns up.

Translation:-

"The customer may want to buy a particular item, but we can't be ****d to source it. He'll get what our supplier provides and he can like it or lump it"

ECP are not the only game in town.

cant you get it re-cored. a recore for my SL was just over £100 with a years gurantee.

I am avoiding the whole problem with a separate cooler for the g/box oil. I'll sleep better at night knowing that coolant and g/box oil are as far away from each other as possible on my particular car.

M.B.S in Southampton have a OEM looking kit out that does just this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom