Really Really Stupid People

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve seen this in the US; some older petrol stations there have slow old pumps and when the typical family truck / SUV takes 30-35 gallons at a time it does take a while. So the pins are provided in the handle and people use them to shop while they fill.
Used to be universal here too ; not sure when it stopped , but a while back .

Probably about the same time attended service was phased out as they probably didn't trust the public with pumps locked on

I can't ever help thinking that if you invented the petrol station today it would NEVER pass a single health and safety test. Everything from moving vehicles , pedestrians and volatile liquids on tap, add to that poisonous vapours and open compressed air available , many of them with no traffic control (exit/entry) . The bloke who drives the tanker to top the place up has a undergone a lot of training to do so. After that it's a free for all !

Thread revival :eek:

Travelling home late on the A12 last nite from Colchester, it flagged up that the junction with the M25 slip road was closed. As I approached the junction the highways guys had coned off the left lane so cars had to move to the right lane. The cars moved over but as I got near to the junction, I noticed some cars on the other side of the cones! one car had driven through a gap in the cones and a few others had followed (they obviously thought it didn't mean the junction was closed for them!) a bit further along, I could see that there was a highways guy in the brightest hi-viz jacket ever, standing in front of the row of cars, gesticulating that they shouldn't be there. I had no idea where these cars thought they were going to go or how they missed the row of highways vehicles with lights on like blackpool illuminations directing traffic away from the junction!

Just been the the corner shop for some cola.

Waiting at 2M distance for folks in front to move on and the shelf stacker behind me shouts "excuse me, excuse me" in an effort to get past. A quick look and point along with my explanation and she absorbed the message.

Reactions: 219
Strolling along a local one-way street last night I didn’t take much notice of a police Focus Estate parked at the kerb. But I sure did notice a minute later when it drove back up the street the wrong way :oops:. Luckily it’s a quiet street and nothing came down it. Someone wasn’t paying enough attention...

Thread revival :eek:

Travelling home late on the A12 last nite from Colchester, it flagged up that the junction with the M25 slip road was closed. As I approached the junction the highways guys had coned off the left lane so cars had to move to the right lane. The cars moved over but as I got near to the junction, I noticed some cars on the other side of the cones! one car had driven through a gap in the cones and a few others had followed (they obviously thought it didn't mean the junction was closed for them!) a bit further along, I could see that there was a highways guy in the brightest hi-viz jacket ever, standing in front of the row of cars, gesticulating that they shouldn't be there. I had no idea where these cars thought they were going to go or how they missed the row of highways vehicles with lights on like blackpool illuminations directing traffic away from the junction!
There was a case on the M1 many years ago when a woman drove at high speed into roadworks which were lit up like a starship. Asked by Plod WTF she was doing, she replied that she thought it was just an advertising display.

Seemed a good enough thread to post this in...

There has been a car parked in a bay near to me for the past few weeks and it obviously hasn't moved. A parking ticket appeared one day, then over time more and more appeared on the front screen. For whatever reason the owner hasn't been back to the vehicle (its a fairly new car, I don't believed its just been dumped) I was just wondering how many tickets will they keep putting on 🤔

There has been a car parked in a bay near to me for the past few weeks and it obviously hasn't moved. A parking ticket appeared one day, then over time more and more appeared on the front screen. For whatever reason the owner hasn't been back to the vehicle (its a fairly new car, I don't believed its just been dumped) I was just wondering how many tickets will they keep putting on 🤔
In Glasgow , a warden once told me they can ticket a car every two hours .

If the bay had a notice stating "fine for parking here" it may explain it.

I’m presuming it is something like a meter bay or pay & display area , or perhaps residents permits only ?

We were in Inveraray at the weekend, which for those who don't know is a coastal town in Argyll very popular with tourists. Apart from the odd local in a hurray the journey was very restful. The roads leading there are an absolute joy to drive with great scenery and minimal traffic, but half a mile before entering the town there's a old bridge with traffic light control.

Whilst most drivers were waiting we witnessed the epic fail of a "white van man" deciding to chance his arm and overtake all the cars stopped at a red light, without realising that the bridge is single file..

Watching him reverse off the bridge and all the way to the back of the now even longer line of waiting vehicles behind us created much hilarity in our car. Hopefully he learned a valuable lesson!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom