• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Rear Tint Fix??

thebig1

Car
Mercedes C63
Hi guys,

just noticed a couple of "Chips" in the rear window tint on my C63s Saloon, like someone tried to remove a sticker and damaged the tint.
short of claiming for a broken rear window on the insurance :naughty: is there anything I can use to cover up the chips?

cheers!!!

Black 'Magic' marker pen?

Rip the tint film out

Lol the tint is standard fit from MB for the C63s. Ripping it off would no doubt damage the heater elements and leave a 18 month old car looking weird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was factory fitted then surely it's dark glass, not a film applied over the glass?

Lol the tint is standard fit from MB for the C63s. Ripping it off would no doubt damage the heater elements and leave a 18 month old car looking weird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To my mind , these cars with dark glass at one end and light at the others look cheapened and weird . I much prefer a light , airy interior to the 'Mafia look' .

On both my S Classes and my SL the heating elements were laminated inside the glass ; haven't checked the other models .

On every car I've owned the rear screen heating element has been surface screen printed on the inside of the glass. The owners handbook has always warned of possible damage to the elements by harsh cleaning chemicals or the application and removal of stickers.

...On both my S Classes and my SL the heating elements were laminated inside the glass ; haven't checked the other models .

Yes, this is how it was on both my old C-Class (W203) and on my current C-Class (W204).

So not sure what exactly happened to the OP's rear screen, but I doubt the heating element would be affected?

On every car I've owned the rear screen heating element has been surface screen printed on the inside of the glass. The owners handbook has always warned of possible damage to the elements by harsh cleaning chemicals or the application and removal of stickers.

On my Kia it is still 'glued on' to the glass surface and can be clearly felt if you run your finger over it. So I guess some manufacturers still do that.

Last edited:
Also, if it's the original factory tint, then as whitenemesis said it's tinted glass and not external coating, so again it is not clear how a sticker can damage the glass in any way (or the heating element inside it).

So either

(a) We did not understand the issue correctly

Or

(b) The rear windscreen has some sort of aftermarket tint film applied to it

Or

(c) The rear windscreen has been replaced with non-original glass at some point in the past?

Last edited:
Hi ya,

It seems that Mercedes have not smoked glass on the C63s, they have external tints, as Kai do, cutting costs I guess. Removing this tint to replace it would no doubt damage the elements of the heated screen and mean its a new rear window. So either way, looks like I need a new rear window :0(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom