• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Recaro files for bankruptcy

Never personally had Recaro seats in anything, but an iconic brand since the '60s:

That's really sad - as you say an iconic brand
The factory Recaros in my little Vauxhall Novas were fabulous - although the last easyJet Airbus I travelled on had Recaro seats fitted and they were chronic :fail:

Wow!

I would guess that - due to the number of aircraft seats they manufacture and supply - most people will have had their rear end on a Recaro seat at sometime or another even if they didnt realise it.

I see from the linked article that it's "only" the automotive seats part of the business that's filed for bankruptcy. Still a sad loss though.

Blimey, that’s going to leave a hole in the automotive industry. Hopefully another business will pick up the pieces.

Very sad.

I had various Recaro seats, and they were absolutely the best.

They also do child safety seats.

And they used to do the seats for Airbus...

Again, very sad.

I am speculating that making aftermarket seats is no longer economic because modern cars have sophisticated seats and SRS systems that makes replacing the original seats impractical (unless for track use), and also modern car seats are usually quite good from the factory.

But did they lose contracts to make seats for car manufacturers in general? Perhaps car manufacturers now prefer to have seats made by Chinese manufacturers?

I am speculating that making aftermarket seats is no longer economic because modern cars have sophisticated seats and SRS systems that makes replacing the original seats impractical (unless for track use), and also modern car seats are usually quite good from the factory.

But did they lose contracts to make seats for car manufacturers in general? Perhaps car manufacturers now prefer to have seats made by Chinese manufacturers?
I also think that many seat designers/builders have learned a lot from Recaro over the years.

Yes, Ricaro were OEM suppliers to many iconic brands in years gone by, but mainly known to the public for their after market seats.
Even the XJ220 had Recaro seats, or at least the frames were. Based on the already certified BMW Z1 seats (that's the important bit) re-foamed and covered to Jaguar standards.
I understand it is that they were no longer competitive in the OEM world, and the aftermarket may just be collateral damage.

If memory serves, the space shuttle in the film Armageddon was equipped with Recaro seats, in what was a blatant but very pleasant product placement.

At one point a Recaro was a standard fitment in almost every Audi S & RS model; it seems that's no longer the case which had to put a bit of a dent in sales.

In other news, apparently BBS have also gone to the wall - this will be the 5th time since 2007 I believe.

At one point a Recaro was a standard fitment in almost every Audi S & RS model; it seems that's no longer the case which had to put a bit of a dent in sales.

In other news, apparently BBS have also gone to the wall - this will be the 5th time since 2007 I believe.
It must be tough times in the German OEM suppliers market.
The 1990 Le Mans winning Jaguar was on BBS rims, as was my very recently departed Macan. I noticed cleaning the Bentley wheels, that they were from Ronal, famous for the Audi Quattro multispoke alloys.

I’m sure we will see the brand again.
Of course we will....it will be like MG.....recycled by the Chinese to sell to those that remember the hay day of the name.... but don't care about the quality of the product. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom