recently got a W211 E55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jwrpalmer99

Car
W211 E55
Hi all,

a few weeks back now, as I drove my lotus through the pouring rain and standing water round the m25, I realised I needed a comfortable/practical saloon or estate for winter and beyond.

I missed having a V8 (last one I had was a Porsche 928SE, which made a fantastic noise and could still be considered pretty quick now even after 25 years - I sold that last summer though) started looking for an E55 in good condition with a full history - saw a few local at traders and then found jimmyca69's post on here and arranged sharpish to go see it in wales (a nice 10 hour round trip).

Car was in very good standard condition with full MB service history as promised - a few small marks, quite low tread on the rear tyres, summer opening/closing not working, and a piece of the front bumper broken off! Next service due was G+, yikes.

Went back the next week to pick it up and drive it back - nice drive home, very comfortable and a lot of zoooom.

Since getting it back home a few weeks ago I have:

• fixed the bumper (still finishing the paint on it though)
  • installed K&N filters
  • bought 2 new rear tyres
  • updated the sat nav and stereo
  • replaced the bonnet mercedes star (was very distracting) with a flat AMG badge
  • removed the IR sensor on the door and re-soldered/epoxied it (following an excellent video found on youtube - now the summer closing/opening works - and yes it does the panoramic roof too James!)
  • and finally (so far) got my hands on a Eurocharged cable (thanks Paul) and flashed the ECU (throttle response is certainly much improved but haven't had a chance to really test it yet)

one fault remaining is SBC Hold not working - I assume this is due to gear selection module and think I will probably leave this for now

perhaps next year will do something about releasing a little more noise from the car - maybe headers and resonator or something - it is a little too quiet for my liking at the moment

so far, very impressed with the car though - it's a lot of car for the money :)

Jeremy

Hi and welcome

+1 for the bonnet star distracting, lots of people like them but I also had to remove mine for same reason

Mick

welcome!

Hi, welcome to the forum, good luck with the car.

Welcome! I'm a new E55 owner too. Great cars aren't they!

Hi Jeremy

Hope all going well with car, look forward to updates on your releasing of more horses....:)

Hi and welcome

+1 for the bonnet star distracting, lots of people like them but I also had to remove mine for same reason

Mick

I disagree - the "gunsight" is one of the joys for me of owning a Merc...

Surprised how much I miss it on the new clk and ML.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom