• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Red paint problem, Mercedes not accepting responsibility

Garages, service centres and MOT stations never closed as they were exempt from lockdown....so that's not really an excuse.
See my post above. There was an extended grace period as only cars belonging to essential workers were able to be booked for service for quite a few months.

Really?..not around here.....
MBUK sent an email in April 2020 to owners stating that "The majority of workshops will remain open with a limited team to accommodate breakdowns and the service of key workers’ cars" and gave the following advice about servicing:

If you’re unable to attend a service appointment when your car’s service is due, we’ve implemented a temporary revised limit for overdue services:
For Mercedes-Benz cars, the limit has increased to the sooner of 180 days past the current due date for a service to be completed or the vehicle reaching the 3,728 mileage interval for a service to be completed (previously 90 days / 1,864 mileage interval).
Please be advised that delays to your vehicle being serviced, which are within the temporary revised limits for servicing set out above, will not invalidate your vehicle’s warranty. However, all of your other obligations and exclusions in relation to your vehicle’s warranty remain.

My experience at the time was that as an "ordinary Joe" I couldn't get a service appointment with any of my local MB dealers.

MBUK sent an email in April 2020 to owners stating that "The majority of workshops will remain open with a limited team to accommodate breakdowns and the service of key workers’ cars" and gave the following advice about servicing:

If you’re unable to attend a service appointment when your car’s service is due, we’ve implemented a temporary revised limit for overdue services:
For Mercedes-Benz cars, the limit has increased to the sooner of 180 days past the current due date for a service to be completed or the vehicle reaching the 3,728 mileage interval for a service to be completed (previously 90 days / 1,864 mileage interval).
Please be advised that delays to your vehicle being serviced, which are within the temporary revised limits for servicing set out above, will not invalidate your vehicle’s warranty. However, all of your other obligations and exclusions in relation to your vehicle’s warranty remain.

My experience at the time was that as an "ordinary Joe" I couldn't get a service appointment with any of my local MB dealers.
What would have been the date period for ex

What period of time was this extension for? Yeah I’d have expected a massive backlog of people getting their MOT and places would have been booked months advance.

What period of time was this extension for?
I honestly don’t know. I received an email from MBUK in April 2020 extending the service grace period, but I don’t recall ever seeing a subsequent email advising when it reverted to the regular 90 days, etc.

Not always reliable either - I spotted last week that the B service done on my car last year is recorded in the online history as an A. I have the paper invoice showing a B was done so will have to try and get it changed.

That happened to me at Brooklands a few years back. I emailed the service department, they were very apologetic and corrected the entry on the DSB.

What is missing from the service record, was it covid based?
kc
Not completely. Missing 3 altogether. I did think that. Waiting for them to get back to me. We’ll see what they offer if anything.
Hi all, I am having a problem with my 2016 red sl400. The paint has started blistering. I bought the car last March from Mercedes Benz in Bolton. I bought all the extended warranty and paid for the service plan. I went to see them yesterday to confirm that they would sort the problem. They then told me that the car I bought from them did not have full Mercedes Benz history and that the paintwork would not be covered. I bought the car with the understanding it had a full Mercedes service history. This is starting to look horrendously expensive. They sold me a car with a known paint problem, and with the knowledge that without full MBSH the paintwork is not covered. Where do I stand on this?
Good news on this. Eventually I have managed to speak to the sales manager. As the car was checked by them before sale then this gives it full MB warranty as if it had full service history. Also, as it has so few miles the service intervals are very close, so not getting serviced every year is not necessary. They are letting me know tomorrow their plan for checking and then correcting the paintwork. Thanks for everyone’s comments and support. Much appreciated.

That’s the problem with these digital service records, you don’t get an invoice or workshop report on what was actually done and what periodic service items were carried out.
Are you sure?

Maybe the dealers I’ve used are exceptions to the rule but when my cars (with Digital Service Book) are serviced I receive:

1. A printed copy of the digital service history, showing every service recorded in the Digital Service Book, and the additional time/distance related items performed at each. Cost and customer information are not included, like a paper service book.

2.A printed copy of the invoice for that particular service, and the additional time/distance related items performed during that service. Cost and customer information are included, as it’s an invoice and therefore relevant.

3. The checklist completed by the technician which is handwritten on a pre-printed form, with a long list of the checks they have performed, and including their notes on tyre depth, brake wear, etc.

With a paper service book #2 and #3 are the exactly same, but #1 is substituted with handwritten information in the physical paper service book.

If the service book is lost then the workshop don’t give you a replacement showing previous services, however you get a full printed copy every time with DSB

Not completely. Missing 3 altogether. I did think that. Waiting for them to get back to me. We’ll see what they offer if anything.

Good news on this. Eventually I have managed to speak to the sales manager. As the car was checked by them before sale then this gives it full MB warranty as if it had full service history. Also, as it has so few miles the service intervals are very close, so not getting serviced every year is not necessary. They are letting me know tomorrow their plan for checking and then correcting the paintwork. Thanks for everyone’s comments and support. Much appreciated.
If you have no joy there MB Manchester have redone many FOR cars and seem to be able to get MB HO to approve every time. One thing to make sure of though is that your dealer does a bare metal respray (otherwise the problem comes back). For some reason MB won't pay for bumpers and other plastic trim to be redone.

Are you sure?

Maybe the dealers I’ve used are exceptions to the rule but when my cars (with Digital Service Book) are serviced I receive:

1. A printed copy of the digital service history, showing every service recorded in the Digital Service Book, and the additional time/distance related items performed at each. Cost and customer information are not included, like a paper service book.

2.A printed copy of the invoice for that particular service, and the additional time/distance related items performed during that service. Cost and customer information are included, as it’s an invoice and therefore relevant.

3. The checklist completed by the technician which is handwritten on a pre-printed form, with a long list of the checks they have performed, and including their notes on tyre depth, brake wear, etc.

With a paper service book #2 and #3 are the exactly same, but #1 is substituted with handwritten information in the physical paper service book.

If the service book is lost then the workshop don’t give you a replacement showing previous services, however you get a full printed copy every time with DSB
Yes I am sure.
Never received anything like that during a 4 year service plan. In fact never heard of anyone receiving an invoice on a service plan, perhaps your local dealer is the exception to the rule

Yes I am sure.
Never received anything like that during a 4 year service plan. In fact never heard of anyone receiving an invoice on a service plan, perhaps your local dealer is the exception to the rule

If you book a single service, you'll get both the invoice for it and the Digital Service Record (with the secure pin code for accessing the DSB).

If you have a service plan, then you'll get only the Digital Service Record, but no invoice. You'd only get an invoice if there was anything done that isn't covered the service plan, e.g. new wipers, etc.

🤞 tightly crossed for you, let us know the outcome
kc

If you have a service plan, then you'll get only the Digital Service Record, but no invoice. You'd only get an invoice if there was anything done that isn't covered the service plan, e.g. new wipers, etc.
^ This.

And my dealer (part of the Inchcape group) now emails you a soft copy of the Digital Service Record - no paper copy at all.

And my dealer (part of the Inchcape group) now emails you a soft copy of the Digital Service Record - no paper copy at all.
Brooklands started doing this after COVID, and never went back to paper.

Yes I am sure.
Nope mine does the same. (not on a service plan but for usual regular services I should add.)

Yes I am sure.
Service Plan customers won’t receive an invoice, unless you ask for a redacted one - reason being that the customer is not paying and the invoice is for the person (or entity) paying the bill.

You should have received items #1 and #3 though, and #1 will co firm the additional items performed in that specific service, and all previous services.

I’ve always received these, having used five dealerships across four different dealer groups.

Hi all, I am having a problem with my 2016 red sl400. The paint has started blistering. I bought the car last March from Mercedes Benz in Bolton. I bought all the extended warranty and paid for the service plan. I went to see them yesterday to confirm that they would sort the problem. They then told me that the car I bought from them did not have full Mercedes Benz history and that the paintwork would not be covered. I bought the car with the understanding it had a full Mercedes service history. This is starting to look horrendously expensive. They sold me a car with a known paint problem, and with the knowledge that without full MBSH the paintwork is not covered. Where do I stand on this?
So when I bought my 2014 Sl350 I wanted to specify it with Hyacinth Red however at the time I was told that I could not do it as they were having paint issues with the red colours.

This has take them to court all over it.

So when I bought my 2014 Sl350 I wanted to specify it with Hyacinth Red however at the time I was told that I could not do it as they were having paint issues with the red colours.

This has take them to court all over it.
To my knowledge, Hyacinth Red has never been affected by micro blistering.
The colours affected are/were Fire Opal Red and Mars Red.

I'd be interested what the OP's paint code is, as Hyacinth is top of the list on my next car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom