ref paint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chubbs111

Car
clk270cdi
hi guys ive got a 97 c200 in black i went to halfrauds to get a touch up kit and it only had primer and colour when i asked about laquer the chap said that my model of car did not have laquer only paint is this right?

If its solid black thats right. Very few solid colours were lacquered in those days. If its metallic then I think it should have lacquer.

I'd check with the dealer first. I have a W140 in Polar White and the Halfords touch up kit for that colour also doesn't include a clear coat, however I'm 100% positive my car does have a clear coat on top of the base coat paint.

It seems the Halfords kits assume if the paint isn't metallic or pearl it doesn't need a clear coat, which simply isn't the case.

In the end I bought a rattle can from the dealer, which was 18 gbp and came with both a colour match aerosol and the matching clear coat. Just spray a little into the lid and use an artists brush to apply it.

In 1997 black 040 was clear coated, polar white 149 was not.
Merc clear coated black 040 starting in 1991.
Prior to 1991 the non clear coated black was designated DB-040

No rhyme or reason as to what colors were clear coated.
Over the years even some metallics were not clear coated.

More then likely the composition of the paint to make it more friendly to the environment created the need to clear coat even on solid colors.

The current Calcite White 650 is clear coated 9650.

If its solid black thats right. Very few solid colours were lacquered in those days. If its metallic then I think it should have lacquer.
I think you are right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom