• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Registration Plates

gazchaz01

Car
SL350
I would appreciate your opinion folks!
I want to change my reg. plates, the current plates are nasty, the dealer I recently bought car from has just bolted bog standard plates with big silver screws, his name and logo are too prominent and they look awful.
So….. what to replace with, there are a few options and I have previously used the 3D type with black frame which I thought looked good. 3D gel type are also an option? And then several variations…. Any ideas?

I like the use of plastic frames (plate holders), they eliminate the need for the unsightly screws. And, not having to drill into the perspex means that the plate is 100% level...

I don't have preference regarding the typeface, always went for the 'bog standard' option. The main thing is that the manufacturer's post code has to be as small as legally possible, and absolutely no mentioning of the car dealer or trader anywhere on the plate or frame.....

Of course both the frame and the plate need to be in 'as new' condition at all times or they get replaced.

I don't like the big screws that MB use on the E Class so mine are fitted using adhesive pads from Halfords. I used the thicker ones to overcome the problem of the raised domes where the screws would go and used 4 pads not two.
Been on there for 6 years now

@gazchaz01

The 3d (not 4d it's with sticking out letters...but they should be illegal by virtue of taste alone...TACKY!) are no longer legal as the letters have to be one shade of black.

@markjay

The suppliers name being shown along with the postcode is a legal requirement.

Get a set of plates and the black plate holders (or frames) that you mention from your local main dealer and that way it will be legal, good quality and look as intended.

Plate holders are also available from eBay (and elsewhere) but be selective as base on seeing other cars the quality varies. Wurth are best, and are what main dealers use.

I’d personally steer clear of non-standard fonts, flags, and logos (apart from the dealer), and also fake branded holders eg AMG, Brabus, etc (genuine one are great).

With regards to discrete plate makers details, surprisingly maybe I've found in the past that Halfords ones are very low-key.

FWIW I had a metal numberplate done by Halfords recently and the quality was amazing ... really smart. It was only for a trailer but I'd have one like that on any of my cars (if they didn't already have MB dealer plates on them :cool:).

Well its amazing how often they change the rules on number plates,I had no idea the rules were changing so often I suppose it keeps countless thousands in employment at DVLA,at the root of all this is they want plates that can be read by ANPR ,and I agree with that,you only have to see how many cars are removed from the road every week by ANPR,I just think that you should be able to have your plates tested with ANPR get it entered on the data base and alls good.
Of course most of us already know our plates will pass ANPR,because we have had a toll cost removed from our account,if the Dartford crossing can do it of course the police ANPR can also,but all a bit to simple for my view to be accepted.

Plate holders (along with visible fixings....especially the Merc habit of using not 2 but 4 screws) are a pet hate of mine. Extra plastic around the plates adds nothing to the cars looks....imo. Simple plates held on with double sided tape is the way I go. That said my current plates are not technically legal as instead of having the dealer/postcode they have this!.... Never had an issue.

20231209_114633_copy_2040x1530.jpg

Isn't it amazing how often they are not straight on brand new cars!. The dealers have mechanics that can strip and rebuild a 32v V8......but fit number plates straight?....no chance!

Isn't it amazing how often they are not straight on brand new cars!. The dealers have mechanics that can strip and rebuild a 32v V8......but fit number plates straight?....no chance!

My brand new lease car came with a wonky rear plate...........

Many years back I had a pal who worked for a large Indy dealer network, and one of his jobs was to put dealer logo’s plates on cars pre-sale. He hated the task so he’d delight in putting them on wonky with no seeming comeback from anyone including the buyers. 🙄
Mind I go to enormous lengths to ensure mine are straight as.

Many years back I had a pal who worked for a large Indy dealer network, and one of his jobs was to put dealer logo’s plates on cars pre-sale. He hated the task so he’d delight in putting them on wonky with no seeming comeback from anyone including the buyers. 🙄
Mind I go to enormous lengths to ensure mine are straight as.
Arnold Clark stickers are blooming awful.

Arnold Clark stickers are blooming awful.
Absolutely agree, one of the 1st things I do with a new car, is take the rear window sticker off.
As you say that Arnold Clark sticker is particularly bad. In fact I've said to a couple of people I know, with AC stickers, what would improve there new car at the rear, and they've taken them out. 🙂👍

The exit from the EU required 3 stickers. 2 to go over the EUstars/GB and an oval white UK sign on the boot. Cost peanuts from Ebay.

One of the first things that we put on all of ours when we get them are these Wurth number plate holders.
Good quality and as already mentioned, no need to drill holes in number plates.

The link below isn't the cheapest available, but it has some good pictures so you get an idea of what you will get.

As for the actual number plate itself, I usually go for a pressed aluminium. I think they look good, but I understand others may not.
I have already bought plates from Chase lane plates and I will buy from them again (sit back and wait for the fun police to comment).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom