• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Registration Plates

The front pate is now illegal as it has slightly 3D effect black digits, fully legal when purchased 2019, but now outlawed as the letter of the law says they should be just one shade of black!
As your car is a 2016 model surely the 'September 2021' quote doesn't apply?

QUOTE: 'The characters must not be removable or reflective. If your number plates were fitted after 1 September 2021, they must also be a single shade of black.'

Gotcha....cant see that in the photo on my phone!!

Understanding wife , he also owns a classic 'tuned' Lambretta , which also live in the dining room . Both bikes are used as 'decoration' when not being ridden.

Understanding wife , he also owns a classic 'tuned' Lambretta , which also lives in the dining room . Both bikes are used as 'decoration' when not being ridden. Has a noisy Grey Audi as well , S3 ??
Matey that I work with keeps an immaculate low mile and very ugly Ducati Peso in his kitchen.

View attachment 150416 JZR should have a flat plate holder , but if its getting throug MOT without it ,happy days !
Admittedly it has been the same tester for a long while…

But according to this thread mine should fail on two counts - being curved, and non-reflective (even though it has maker’s name and BSI number on it). Mot again in a couple of months, so we’ll see.

As your car is a 2016 model surely the 'September 2021' quote doesn't apply?

QUOTE: 'The characters must not be removable or reflective. If your number plates were fitted after 1 September 2021, they must also be a single shade of black.'
But, I bought the car in Nov 22, and fitted my own plate then, so 'technically' it was fitted after Sept 21....
Both the car and plate were built before that, but I decided to fit a very standard, Porsche dealer supplied one this morning after reading this thread 🙄

But, I bought the car in Nov 22, and fitted my own plate then, so 'technically' it was fitted after Sept 21....
Both the car and plate were built before that, but I decided to fit a very standard, Porsche dealer supplied one this morning after reading this thread 🙄
They're very good points and another area where the law seems ambiguous (deliberately?). Does it refer to replacement plates that are fitted to any age of car after Sept. 2021, or plates that are fitted from new at the dealership? I would say the latter.

As for the actual number plate itself, I usually go for a pressed aluminium. I think they look good, but I understand others may not.
I have already bought plates from Chase lane plates and I will buy from them again (sit back and wait for the fun police to comment).

Pressed alloy plates are not legal on any car newer than 1980.
I knew you would be along, but I didn't think it would be the very next post.

Because they have to be reflective after 1980....pressed ones are not.
I've had pressed aluminium plates on mine and my wife's cars for the last +10 years and my Sons for the last 3 years. All of which have never failed an MOT or had advisories for illegal number plates, nor have we ever been stopped by the police. We are either very, very lucky or your information is incorrect.

I took this from the website of the ebay seller I posted earlier.
  • Plates made from premium quality aluminium and 3M reflective materials
Here is their website clearly stating that their pressed aluminium plates have a reflective finish and are 100% legal. I could be wrong, but surely if their plates weren't 100% legal maybe they would have been shut down by now.

See this...

See this...

I can do that too……..

https://www.number1plates.com/blog/what-number-plates-are-legal-and-illegal/#:~:text=Pressed%20%E2%80%93%20There's%20a%20lot%20of,about%20that%20head%20over%20here.

But I have to agree, I’m finding most search results do typically state that pressed plates are illegal for modern vehicles.
Although most selling websites say they are 100% legal.
As long as I don’t get a 10 stretch on D wing, I’m sure I’ll be ok.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom