• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

remapping and gearbox

cmarkod

Car
w211 220CDi
Am thinking of having a remap and was wondering on the max torque the auto box on my car can handle. Its a 2005 w211 220CDi.

Cheers
Chris

Thanks for that Malcom. I thought that it could probably handle what I had in mind but just wanted to check..........

I wouldn't be convinced of that. Each box has a torque loading specification. The serial number includes this value.

and would not the 320 cdi have the 7Gtrnoic depending on the age of the car?

David

Whats the mileage on the car?

I've chipped 2 CDIs, 5spd box, ended up changing the box on both.

I find if you use the power, especially at low speeds on a regular basis as i do the box does fail.

I would think twice before i chip the next one.

Personally, save the money, your gearbox, injectors and the economy. I can't believ i just said that :crazy:

Actually re-read the post, as its a 220 you shouldn't have the gearbox issues as there isn't enough torque generated to damage it. The 320 is a different story.

I find if you use the power, especially at low speeds on a regular basis as i do the box does fail.

That makes good sense beacuse as well as the engine outputting more torque the gearbox will often be in a higher gear, so the loadings go up even more.

Are you feeling alright Nav..??

I blame old age.....:crazy:

Yes chipping does increase the drivability, the power is amazing but there are sacrifices to be had. At the time you don't notice but after a while when you mlook back you realise the extra cost of that chip.

1 gearbox could be a coincidence, the other one proved it wasn't. Most people chip a car and drive them normally, exploiting the power occasionally. When i chip one, i drive it :crazy: hard, use the power band regularly and the box fails after a few days. Starts off with it going into limp mode once, then before you know it bang!

That makes good sense beacuse as well as the engine outputting more torque the gearbox will often be in a higher gear, so the loadings go up even more.

3rd to 2nd gear at 25-28mph is the most critical one to the g/box. Both of my boxes failed at this speed/gearchange.

Once the clutches in the box lock up its fine, its when you change down a gear they begin to slip causing the box to detect a difference in speed pulse signal sending the box in limp mode.

OK its fair comment what has been said

the OP car uses the 669 box, the 320 uses the 618 box, the 240 uses the 696, the AMG C32 uses the 641, the 200 uses the 695 the 270 uses the 640.

I must have a look one day to see what the differences are

What i've doen to prevent damage to my new box, is to fit a free flowing exhaust (no cats), with a slightly larger bore. This helps to shift the peak torque band higher so when i put my foot down the clutches have time to engage before peak torque hits.

Should save me another box build, hopefully. Doesn't accoutn for the 2 leaking injectors, accelerated wear on pumps/seals/etc.

I'm considering an upgrage to 185bhp and 420ish nm torque. I wounld't drive it hard all the time but would like the extra power occasionally. I'll check the serial number.

Thanks for the advice

I have a figure.....330Nm..

211.006 box 722.699 = 330Nm (220)
211.008 box 722.640 = 580Nm (220)
211.016 box 722.640 = 580Nm (270)
211.026 box 722.626 = 580Nm (320)

Last edited:
I have a figure.....330Nm..

211.006 box 722.699 = 330Nm (220)
211.008 box 722.640 = 580Nm (220)
211.016 box 722.640 = 580Nm (270)
211.026 box 722.626 = 580Nm (320)

Do you know, how they measures it ?
As you know, the stress is different, depends on revs.

I have +500nm on my 200cdi man.
And ++400nm all the time, over 180 000km now.
Good friend of mine has 560nm/2500rpm on his E220cdi A.
No problems so far.

Most of the parts in the box are the same as for the 320CDI so you cant get a problem

Whooa. Be careful here. These boxes are different.

Heed the advice of Nav. If he has chipped 2 cars and both have had boxes go, then I suggest you proceed with great caution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom