Removing a front wing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

terrymcg

Car
W164 ML 320CDI
Does anyone know how much work is involved in removing a front wing on a W203 chassis car? I am getting a new one hopefully for my C55 and was going to keep the bodyshop costs down by hopefully fitting it myself after its been sprayed.

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know how much work is involved in removing a front wing on a W203 chassis car? I am getting a new one hopefully for my C55 and was going to keep the bodyshop costs down by hopefully fitting it myself after its been sprayed.

Thanks in advance.

Wings on Mercedes are easy to remove. Probably best to remove the bumper first though. If you can, do test fitting of the new wing before it is sprayed.

Thanks. Is it just bolted on? Is it just the ones that can be seen in the engine bay and at the bottom of the skirt?

To be honest, for a nice car like a C55 I'd just let the bodyshop fit it for you. They'll have done these hundreds of times and will take them very little time, hence won't really add much to the cost.

Bonus being that they should get the fitment/alignment spot on, and saves the risk of the new one being damaged as you try to fit it etc.

IMHO of course :)

Will

Will said:
To be honest, for a nice car like a C55 I'd just let the bodyshop fit it for you. They'll have done these hundreds of times and will take them very little time, hence won't really add much to the cost.

Bonus being that they should get the fitment/alignment spot on, and saves the risk of the new one being damaged as you try to fit it etc.

IMHO of course :)

Will

They are saying it is a nightmare job though and not easy to do, which I very much doubt. Just hoped someone has done the job before and can confirm or dispell my thoughts!

Bolts in engine bay, where the skirt meets the wing, and in the door jamb. There will be some fixings around the front in all likelihood. I have had one off and on in the same afternoon...once the bumper was off.

renault12ts said:
Bolts in engine bay, where the skirt meets the wing, and in the door jamb. There will be some fixings around the front in all likelihood. I have had one off and on in the same afternoon...once the bumper was off.

And how much hassle is the front bumper?

And how much hassle is the front bumper?

Front bumper on a W203 is a little hassle, you really need another pair of hands as there are some metal clips that can scratch the wings when you pull the bumper cover off.

I've removed the bumper once (with help) on the W203 when I had to refit the front bumper on ours.

its very informative video. Thanks for sharing this video with us grober.

The bolts that are located just in front of the door are a little tricky to get at. You will need a 10mm, 1/4 drive socket with a wobble extension bar and a piece of thin cardboard to place between the bar and the door to stop it rubbing.

You can also release the check strap to get more access but dont open the door too far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom