• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Removing paint from UPVC window frames?

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Hi!

Very very off-topic but there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum.... :D

Does anyone know of any products to remove paint safely from UPVC window frames?

I’m currently re-decorating one of our rental properties and the previous tenants have had a go at painting the bedrooms without masking the window frames... :wallbash::(

Thanks!

If it’s emulsion there’s a good chance it will come off with a wet cloth.

Hi Will,
Hope you’re well :)
I’ve had a go but it looks like the paint has been on there a while so no luck :(
Not sure what kind of paint it is.
Cheers,
Abs

Stanley knife blade.

Wouldn’t this mark the window frame though?

Thanks very much guys, will update once I’ve given it a go :)

The only real options are to over paint, or abrade, UPVC is notoriously difficult to strip, almost any attempt to chemically strip will disolve it.

Speak to your local double glazing company. They will have chemicals to remove the paint without damaging the UPVC.

Hi!

Very very off-topic but there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum.... :D

Does anyone know of any products to remove paint safely from UPVC window frames?

I’m currently re-decorating one of our rental properties and the previous tenants have had a go at painting the bedrooms without masking the window frames... :wallbash::(

Thanks!
Local upvc installers use methylated spirits. I've used it on plastic and it's very effective. Don't leave it on long- soak a rag and the paint should just wipe off. Use a sponge with hot water and washing up stuff to remove the residue- don't let the meths dry out it will leave a funny residue.

A paint scraper is easier and safer than a stanley blade. Dulled edges can be sharpened if need be.
I scrape emulsion off sockets, switches and anything that's been overpainted. Often it's easier to scrape of when still hard but depends how much there is.

If this is over paint from the walls then it'll be fairly certain it's emulsion, but nowts definite with tenants.
Use a hot cloth on the walls, if it's the same. If the cloth becomes coloured by the paint it's emulsion.

I've successfully cleaned off dried emulsion from UPVC frames using Window cleaning spray (Windowlene or Mr Muscle) and paper kitchen roll.

Spray onto the overpainted areas, leave for a couple of minutes then gently rub - seems to work wonders. On areas with thicker coverage, again after spraying with window cleaner I've used a plastic blade to remove the paint.

upvc cleaning solvent applied with fitters wipe and a bank card to scrape it off, work into the edge like a dozer. If its gloss then no idea maybe a cover lath

New windows throughout. Sorted:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom