Replaced glow plug light still on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looking at the engine from front I've replaced second from top on right hand side

Is this a v6 then ??

Well it would be good to get confirmation but I'm pretty sure they are numbered 1-3 on the left (going back towards the windscreen), and 4-6 on the right. In which case the OP replaced #5.

On the OM642 V6 I think no. 2 is the centre one on the LEFT when looking at the engine from the front of the vehicle.
Really?? :wallbash: so looks like I've replaced the wrong one on wrong side

Yes it is

lol, well theres a thing , 1 to 3 on the left , 4 to 6 on the right , bank 1 and bank 2.

you might also want to change the exhaust back pressure sensor , its near the egr valve top right hand of engine. £49 at a mb stealer .

My experience with glow plugs would lead me to strongly follow the advice given here - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'd also say throwing parts at the problem is a silly way to attempt to fix it. Go to a Star equipped MB indy, get the the codes read (& maybe the glow plug changed!) & proceed.

lol, well theres a thing , 1 to 3 on the left , 4 to 6 on the right , bank 1 and bank 2.

you might also want to change the exhaust back pressure sensor , its near the egr valve top right hand of engine. £49 at a mb stealer .
Would this have something to do with my turbo/actuator not working as it should?

Get a multimeter on the plugs to determine which has failed. Save the guesswork!

If you don't have a multi meter, pull the plugs and turn the ignition on, the one that doesn't light up like the end of a cigarette on full suck is the culprit.

Better still, with a multimeter, if you see they're all measuring correct resistance, but one still isn't lighting up, you've proven the issue is further up the line, either in the wiring or the relay.
Then you measure the voltage reaching that glowplug when the ignition is turned on. If it's zero it's the relay, if it's a low number you've got a rotten wire somewhere.

Last edited:
Not had much time after work and it's getting dark quick but I manage to remove the glow plug from the correct number 2 cylinder this time. I left it on engine connected turn ignition on and the glow plug wasn't heating up. I've plug the glow plug that I've removed before,connect ignition on and success. Glow plug was getting red. I think I found the problem. While this plug is out I will wait for the new ones to arrive tomorrow or sat,put new one in and will see if the light has gone. Fingers crossed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom