Replacement front spring identification help needed pls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350_Coupe

Car
2005 C350 Coupe SE
for my 2005 (55 plate, poss 2006 model) C350 coupe

From the vData card info i can find, i'm pretty sure it has the "486 - SPORTS SUSPENSION" option, but looking at mercedes.7zap site to try and identify the part number is a bit of a nightmare, can anyone help,
VIN Number: WDB2037562A844733

Last edited:
I'll try and work it out for you but they are a pain in the **** as there are so many combinations depending on the spec of your car. If you can look at the springs and see any colours, it will help. That is, providing they have the original springs on.

they are the originals, i don't have the car right now, it's down the garage, just failed it's MOT (one snapped spring and front ball joints, which is annoying as i've changed the lower arms twice already in the time i've had it)

I know what you mean, i looked at that website and it was based on so many different options, i lost my way fairly quickly trying to work it out, I'd been using this site to view the vData card

thx btw

Called my garage, from the spring on the other side they've managed to identify the markings as 1 white 3 red

I worked it out that you have 215 points which give you A2033214904 for a 486 sports suspension vehicle, which should have 2x yellow and 1x white mark

I'll check again

You have to add up your points total, main dealer parts guy can do this for you to make sure you get the correct part.

Quickly added yours and I "think" it is 217, would make it A2033215004, 3 x Red & 1 x White marking.
Easiest thing is to check the existing spring colour markings and confirm these when ordering.

I came up very quickly with A 203 321 50 04 based mainly on the colour code off the springs and the 486 code, but, my adding up of the options could be wrong as i did it quickly (and with little experience)

You are both correct, I missed out the xenon and cornering lights so that gives me 217 points which is A2033215004 and is 3x red and 1x white

So our man maths adds up with what is currently on the car so I'd go with that

oh i've ended up at the right answer part number wise, but wrong total LOL, i had 219 (told you i probably screwed it!).... thanks for the very speedy help btw, appreciate it

I had
203.756 207 427+203.752 7-SPD. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 5 for 207 + 5
581 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING for 4
618 BI-XENON for 1
619 CORNERING ILLUMINATION for 1
673 BATTERY WITH LARGE CAPACITY for 1

Am I also correct in thinking that really I should be replacing both ?.... as you can imagine, with other work needed i'm getting close to the point of not worth it given the age and value of the car now.

You should really replace springs in pairs. I am having the same issue on a family member's car. One spring is broken but I have told them that both need doing and have booked it in for both. Interestingly one garage said they would only replace both for the fact they will give an uneven ride etc. That and probably the fact it's more money :)

yeah i'm usually a fan of doing these things in pairs for the reasons you give above, plus having some sort of imbalance can give weird braking behavior, but right now it's all about cost, waiting to see what the garage comes back with costs wise, because if they are taking the lower suspension arms off to replace them anyway, then that's part of the strip down required for replacing the spring anyway!

really odd thing is that off the pre-mot check the ball joints were flagged as advisory but shouldn't fail.... wrong! and the spring wasn't seen, and i have noticed zero handling problems nor drift in straight line handling, so unless it just happened which i guess is possible, it didn't seem to be having much of an affect on it :rolleyes: .... main concern i have is i say go ahead and do it and they start finding other things, likeoh the shocks aren't in good condition...... and the cost starts adding up, on top of brake pipes which i already knew needed doing (albeit not an mot failure)

Just a quick update on this, as i've had the work done now, so figured i'd post up the costs (they actually charged less than quoted because it went smoothly, hence quicker - first time for everything!)

Costs (excl VAT) were:
Lower Suspension Arms (x2) @£55 ea, Coil Spring (Kilen) x1 @£43.19, Top Strut Beraring (x1) @£15 and Labour of £185.95 which included the initial pre-mot inspection

In addition to that there was the MOT Cost and full wheel alignment check (£45) and I had the rear brake hoses and front to rear pipes for both sides replaced and new brake fluid which was another £433 all in, at a different garage (1st place that did the work above didn't want the job lol, although did say should pass the MOT, but if it was his car, he'd change them) given MB want the thick end of 1200+ to do that job I was happy enough with that cost, although when added up it's a pretty large chunk of change for a car not worth that much any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom