replacing transmission sump gasket (torque setting help)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That code is to do with the speed sensor. It can sometimes come up if there is a fault with the sensor, lack of fluid or lack of pressure as the turbines are not spinning at correct speed.

Additiive will not help in this case.

That code is to do with the speed sensor. It can sometimes come up if there is a fault with the sensor, lack of fluid or lack of pressure as the turbines are not spinning at correct speed.

Additiive will not help in this case.
Ive run the car up for 25mins then checked fluid and level is just below the max on the 80c mark of the dipstick , it very much sounds like what your saying with the turbines not spinning at right speed and low pressure , is this a gearbox rebuild to sort

no metal in pan but i was unaware of a sump leak until i lost all drive and came to a halt and on checking under bonnet i notice slight smoke coming from transmission level check tube , on draining oil to change filter and fresh oil (4 litres drained) ive noticed when in drive it wont hold on a slight incline where it would hold ona reasonable slope and have to bring the revs up slightly to get car to engage in gear. its a 2002 model can a autobox reset work on this model and would it be worth doing

The 'box reset doesn't work.

Can you show me a pic of the dipstick you are using?

Hi. If your gearbox is now damaged,then just replace it with second hand one,dont go for rebuild,because its like 2000 pound job,just not worth it. Those 5g transmissions are very reliable and that means finding good second hand one is not a problem.
Friend of mine runs a garage and he had c220 cdi that he got for 300 with egr fault,but other thank that it was great. He sold most bits of it,but gearbox is there still,nobody wants it even 100 pounds,that says that those last long time.

no metal in pan but i was unaware of a sump leak until i lost all drive and came to a halt and on checking under bonnet i notice slight smoke coming from transmission level check tube , on draining oil to change filter and fresh oil (4 litres drained) ive noticed when in drive it wont hold on a slight incline where it would hold ona reasonable slope and have to bring the revs up slightly to get car to engage in gear. its a 2002 model can a autobox reset work on this model and would it be worth doing
If you drained out 4 litres you only got about half of it. Change the oil again. It's your cheapest option at the moment.

If its been driven with low oil level,then i think clutch pack might have burnt. That would explain why it rolls back when in gear,its just slipping.
When oil was drained,did it look black? Did it have burn smell?

yes there was a burn smell and oil was darker , it all started originally a sump link which i wrongly diagnosed as leak looked coming from that area , i changed oil ,filter and sump gasket an thought all good but the leak came from the 12 pin that due to being tucked behind metal plate i didnt see that was where main leak was and on removing i found previous owner had bodged and and snapped small bolt holding it to conductor plate and whacked sealant to hold it in , that eventually cracked and let the oil out ,result lost drive and a strong smell of burnt oil coming out of filler nozzle and a slight smoke

Replacing the TCU plug is quite simple and relatively cheap to do when changing the ATF. It's a 'known' issue with this transmission unit.
Kits are available with all the parts you will need. If not repaired the dirty fluid finds it way into the plug and wiring loom causing all sorts of mischief.

If it was me before writing the box off I'd strip the valve body off.

Dismantle and clean the entire valve body, replace the conductor plate and the TCC solenoid with the revised type.
New filter and pilot bush and put it all back together then take it from there.

If it works it's a bonus if not you would still have the conductor plate etc. for another box to go in.

1st of all a big thank you for all the help coming from you all , i keep hearing conductor plate is a big problem with these , ive removed the valve body before when i had to remove the sheared off screw in conductor plate , now a bit of a newbie question the TCC solenoid is that a particular one , as i did read certain tests to find out if one has failed , also im not sure if this other problem is attached but the gearbox oil runs to the radiator and if the rad is not good can cause cross condamination and i am getting a check coolant display on the dash but on checking water coolant its perfect.

Hi. That check coolant thing might be faulty sensor.
When you had valve body off,did you spot any discoloration on the transmission body?
Thing is with low oil in transmission,that clutch packs start to slip badly and that friction causing huge wear and clutches burn very quickly and that contaminates oil really badly.
All the heat could have damaged conductor plate,but it would cause gearbox not shift and go into limp mode and what you experiancing is more oil level/pressure problem. It is possible that one clutch pack is now worn and at idle speed pump does not produce enough pressure to lock clutch so car would roll simply in drive.
Its tricky situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom