• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Retrofit CD Auchanger W211

Bladerunner2125

Car
S320 W220 2002
Have started to Retrofit the CD Autochanger in my W211 have fitted into the dash no problem have got power to it and it comes alive although I have noticed that the Red Laser light is emitting from the opposite side of where the single retrofit Optical lead socket fits so in effect it seems to be on the wrong side but this is how the Orange lead plug is configured, is this right? also this Vehicle does not have Command and the connection for the Orange optical lead is not there, do I need to connect directly to the Audio 20 Head Unit?

Also does anyone know what the Pink wire is for (X30/8 Wake up connector) and if there is an option to attach it to the cables nearer to the Head Unit the instructions I was sent seem to suggest removing drivers side carpets etc, I would rather just connect closer in to the head unit ?

The fibre optic will go between the head unit and the CD changer. Its a loop, so output of Audio-20 to input of CDC and input of CDC to output of Audio-20.
So, if you only have a single fibre, you need two ...

Wakeup should connect to the wakeup distributor in the passenger footwell wiring duct - it takes about 30 seconds to get it there, so get it there (the alternative would be to splice to the pink wakeup wire on the Audio-20, but really try and get it to the correct place.

It is Wakeup that turns on the CD changer when the head unit turns on (or turns on the head unit when the CDC wants it for something, like eject)

Richard

The fibre optic will go between the head unit and the CD changer. Its a loop, so output of Audio-20 to input of CDC and input of CDC to output of Audio-20.
So, if you only have a single fibre, you need two ...

Wakeup should connect to the wakeup distributor in the passenger footwell wiring duct - it takes about 30 seconds to get it there, so get it there (the alternative would be to splice to the pink wakeup wire on the Audio-20, but really try and get it to the correct place.

It is Wakeup that turns on the CD changer when the head unit turns on (or turns on the head unit when the CDC wants it for something, like eject)

Richard

Thanks Richard very informative, I am just wondering why Mercedes only supplied me with a single Orange fibre optic cable? infact I just rang them while I was typing this reply, they say that I need to disconnect a lead labled 40 from the back of the Head unit and insert the optical firbre into that, does this sound right, I can see 2 optical connectors on the back of the unit but the lead I have would not snap fit into any of these will have a look for this lead labled 40 when I get a chance?

Aha, if your car already has fibre in it, then they would have supplied 1 cable. (I read your original post as saying the head unit has no fibre).

What you then do is to move 1 fibre from the fibre pair going into the back of the Audio 20, unwrap it a bit so it can reach the CDC, and plug it into the new connector (so remove the correct 1) and plug the new fibre into the freed up connection

Very few actually have the labels on the cables in the car.

I tend to always use 2 fibres and a fibre joiner as it saves seperating the fibre pair in the head unit into two.

I presume your car has the phone system, which is why you have fibre in the head unit.
Richard

Aha, if your car already has fibre in it, then they would have supplied 1 cable. (I read your original post as saying the head unit has no fibre).

What you then do is to move 1 fibre from the fibre pair going into the back of the Audio 20, unwrap it a bit so it can reach the CDC, and plug it into the new connector (so remove the correct 1) and plug the new fibre into the freed up connection

Very few actually have the labels on the cables in the car.

I tend to always use 2 fibres and a fibre joiner as it saves seperating the fibre pair in the head unit into two.

I presume your car has the phone system, which is why you have fibre in the head unit.
Richard

Richard I do not think I have the phone system in the car I have the button on the head unit but this just says no phone, I do have 2 little white fibre optic connections on the back of the Audio 20 Head unit but there is nothing plugged into these, the main connecter to the rear of the head unit is a large square all in one connector which incorparates the 2 little white optical connectors, but again nothing connected to them, are you saying that there is another optical connector I can release and attach to the otherside of the Plug that goes into the changer? the way I am looking at it I think I need 2 optical firbre cables from the Changer directly to the Head units 2 empty optical connecters, let me know what you think, I am certainly getting closer with your help, thanks.

OK, you don't have any fibre, so we're back to my original point - you need 2 of those fibre cables. Mercedes is telling you the wrong thing.

When you want to plug fibres into the little 1cm x 1.5cm fibre plugs, you need to remove that little blue locking pin that you will see. The 1cm x 1.5cm fibre plugs plug into the larger (40 pin quadlock on the back of the head unit) or into the bigger shell that fits the CD changer. be careful of the little plastic locking bit on the larger connectors as you remove the 1cm x 1.5cm fibre plugs

Richard

OK, you don't have any fibre, so we're back to my original point - you need 2 of those fibre cables. Mercedes is telling you the wrong thing.

When you want to plug fibres into the little 1cm x 1.5cm fibre plugs, you need to remove that little blue locking pin that you will see. The 1cm x 1.5cm fibre plugs plug into the larger (40 pin quadlock on the back of the head unit) or into the bigger shell that fits the CD changer. be careful of the little plastic locking bit on the larger connectors as you remove the 1cm x 1.5cm fibre plugs

Richard

I knew what they had given me was wrong, they took the registration number of the Car and I physicaly took the changer with me to the parts department?

Can you describe what the actual final lead will look like, right now I have a single Optical wire that goes into the bigger shell connector that has the Blue locking pin, and on the other end of the Optical cable is just a very thin white plastic bit that is attached to nothing, from what you are saying I need to have a Dual Optical lead with a plug on one end that goes into the Changer and a Plug on the other that fits into the Quad Block where the 2 little white Optical connectors are situated? correct me if I am wrong?

They havent given you wrong stuff, they have just missed out 1 of those optical cables/connector packets.

The optical cable came wth the the 2-way shell, and the bigger shell on top of that, in a litlle packet with a part number starting A211 xxx xx xx You need another one of those.

You are correct describing where the dual optical lead goes. But, you make the dual optical lead from 2 of those single optical leads/connector packs.

Richard

They havent given you wrong stuff, they have just missed out 1 of those optical cables/connector packets.

The optical cable came wth the the 2-way shell, and the bigger shell on top of that, in a litlle packet with a part number starting A211 xxx xx xx You need another one of those.

You are correct describing where the dual optical lead goes. But, you make the dual optical lead from 2 of those single optical leads/connector packs.

Richard

Richard thanks for your help, I have ordered the second lead from Mercedes said they will have it in the morning.

I have another question it concerns the Fan on the back of the Changer or in my case the lack of one, I can see the spare power lead for the fan dangling around is this just a straight 12 volt feed, I am pretty sure I need a cooling fan of some sort but I do not want to pay Mercedes prices for this fan, have you ever fitted a DIY fan to the autochanger?

Thanks again for your help
Dale

I have never fitted it and i'm reasonably sure it was only fitted on the earlier cars..

Richard

Richard thanks for your help, I have ordered the second lead from Mercedes said they will have it in the morning.

I have another question it concerns the Fan on the back of the Changer or in my case the lack of one, I can see the spare power lead for the fan dangling around is this just a straight 12 volt feed, I am pretty sure I need a cooling fan of some sort but I do not want to pay Mercedes prices for this fan, have you ever fitted a DIY fan to the autochanger?

Thanks again for your help
Dale

I have one of these spare. Its yours for £10+PP if you want it.

It would be worth saying, whilst the car is apart, if you have one i would fit it just for the sake of it

R

Ive replied via email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom