• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

S211 Airmatic problem..

Wearsthefoxhat

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL500 : R129. /. E55k : S211
Having been having the odd problem with my Airmatic on my E55.
The Airmatic stopped working the other day and wouldn’t rise. Assumed the fault was with the compressor as I could get info from the three switches and pressure switch with my MB2.

Jumped in at the deep end, removed the compressor, bought a refurb kit and fitted that. Put it all back today and nowt..

I have no power to the connector to the compressor nor do I have a voltage at the fuse in the drivers side fuse board. Is there a relay or control circuit that controls the power to the compressor as presume the second, (smaller cables) connector on the compressor is for this.
No mention of relays in the handbook, nor do I have any info for the fuse board in the engine bay.
Thank you…

This video may help, hopefully could test the relay with the multimeter 🙂

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thank you. Still not working…. and not going anywhere yet.
Bench tested the relay, that worked but had 60 Ohms across the contacts so replaced it anyway as thought it a little high. New relay bench tested at 50 Ohms. pah.

Had a thought though. I have the car raised so as not to put too much strain on the system when it starts up. Presume that this will stop the system demanding air ?? Lowered the car and nope..

Have tested the pump and that works, runs. Ran it on a battery in situ but doesn’t seem to add any air to the system but no leaks found, heard.
Still no power to the pump.

Is the sensor / switch on the valve block part of the “I demand air” system ?
Is there a module for this or is it part of the front SAM ?

thank you again..

Do you have any lights on the button next to the gear selector 🤔

Assuming you have checked the correct fuse, just no power at the terminals right?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Check also front pre fuse box, which according to this is located under the passenger side footwell under the metal guard. You'll need to lift the carpet, check fuse number 74 (40 amp fuse).

Screenshot_20230719_215236_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20230719_215436_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thank you, I have not checked that fuse, no mention of it in my info, but will seek it out. The fuse location chart with mine says drivers side fuse box, No 37 and that is okay.
The lights on the centre consul work as normal, if I select a mode the display on the dash displays that it has been selected and the leds on the switch light up accordingly .
Thank you for your help, very much appreciate. I will report back.

Please keep us posted. I think the front pre fuse box under the passenger side footwell is the last place to check.

Fingers crossed, will be awesome if your back up and running 🤞

No fuses in there, just the three modules. Nothing above either. Have only ever found three fuse boxes in this car and some of the info provided with it doesn’t match what is. Always been a bit odd, an in between one which never helps..

Did you have power at the relay that you checked?
No, I would have least expected 12v at pin 30, the common. Have tested all the fuses I can find. Guess the next bit is to get to the base of the relay and see if there is a break.. thank you

Still ongoing with this, just looking for the fuse for the Airmatic.
The car is a 2005 face lift S211.

Would the front pre fuse box for this be under the drivers side mat ??? would they have left it there and just moved the modules to the other side.

Have looked under the passenger side and not there. Thank you.

I'll check in mine this weekend as I also have an S211 2007. Will check passengers footwell and report back.

My door mirrors are no longer folding via the keyfob but work with the door card button. Happened straight after disconnecting the battery to replace with a new one. Will route around and while there will check footwell in mine.

I'll check in mine this weekend as I also have an S211 2007. Will check passengers footwell and report back.

My door mirrors are no longer folding via the keyfob but work with the door card button. Happened straight after disconnecting the battery to replace with a new one. Will route around and while there will check footwell in mine.
Door mirrors on my SLC used to stop folding if the battery was disconnected, but would then start working as normal soon after.

Been a few weeks now, tried the spared keyfob too. Checked dash setting, all correct settings. Probably needs a few more cycles of driving before the folding mirrors decide to work again.

I'll see if I can locate the pre fuse for the OP in mine. If there no current at the relay terminal and the relay had been changed, then must a pre fuse leading to the relay or a burnt wire somewhere. What else can it be, it has to be a break in electrical connection somewhere?

Still ongoing with this, just looking for the fuse for the Airmatic.
The car is a 2005 face lift S211.

Would the front pre fuse box for this be under the drivers side mat ??? would they have left it there and just moved the modules to the other side.

Have looked under the passenger side and not there. Thank you.

OP, it's under the driver side footwell, looks like its changed side for RHD spec. Please see link below. This must be the front pre fuse leading power to the relay in the engine compartment. Check fuse 74, in fact check all of them 👍

OP, it's under the driver side footwell, looks like its changed side for RHD spec. Please see link below. This must be the front pre fuse leading power to the relay in the engine compartment. Check fuse 74, in fact check all of them 👍

Thank you very much, I was going to have a look just incase.
Have refurbished the compressor with a kit and it works well, good put put and an easy job too. Ran the compressor off a battery.

Mirrors, I always turn this off as very rarely fold the mirrors in. Replacing the batteries has never altered the settings on any Mercedes we have owned. Perhaps “off” is the default setting though.

Thank you very much, I was going to have a look just incase.
Have refurbished the compressor with a kit and it works well, good put put and an easy job too. Ran the compressor off a battery.

Mirrors, I always turn this off as very rarely fold the mirrors in. Replacing the batteries has never altered the settings on any Mercedes we have owned. Perhaps “off” is the default setting though.

Looks like it's a 10mm nut to move the accelerator pedal out if the way and then lift the carpet to gain access. Fingers crossed hope it's the fuse 🤞

May need to use the key in the ignition and cycle a few times, as I just realised I have been starting the car with the keyless option on the gear selector and not using the key in the ignition to start the car. Maybe it needs the key in the ignition to re synchronise and then the folding mirror with keyfob might work???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom