Sat Nav Speed cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
IME Waze does not use much data, try it and see how you get on with your usage and check regularly via the phones data usage per app.

Another great app is AmiGO by TomTom

I used to use the POI method before all this tech came along but it was OK within it's limitations as mentioned previously.

I am not sure how much data it uses, but it cannot to big a deal judging from the user fan base.

Maybe experiment on a decent trip and check your allowance at the beginning and end of the trip?
I have a 30GB per month for £10 so never check it.
Thanks Jim. I tried it on a short local trip today and it missed the nearest camera to my home, which has been there for years and is always picked up by the Garmin 55 in my wife's car!! I'll try it in the new (to me) GLE via Android which I'll collect on Tue next.

Are you sure you had it working correctly in Carplay? Check the Waze screen on your phone to see if the camera is marked or not?

IME Waze does not use much data, try it and see how you get on with your usage and check regularly via the phones data usage per app.

Another great app is AmiGO by TomTom

Does that work with Carplay?

I have just noticed that my sat nav has no speed camera warnings! This is something that I found very uaeful in my Honda and Volvo.
Is there any way to install them without paying MB a kings ransom?
2016 C250 with Command sat nav.
The reason you have no speed camera functionality on your navigation is that in Germany it is illegal, so it is not installed in their cars even those being exported to the UK - I miss it too, but you can access speed camera warnings using Carplay or Android Auto

Thanks Jim. I tried it on a short local trip today and it missed the nearest camera to my home, which has been there for years and is always picked up by the Garmin 55 in my wife's car!! I'll try it in the new (to me) GLE via Android which I'll collect on Tue next.

Are you referring to Waze?

Waze will only alert you to the presence of a speed camera if (a) there's a route selected i.e. navigationis active, and (b) you are actually speeding while approaching the camera.

Otherwise, the camera will be displayed on the screen but there will be no audible warning.

I use Waze on my phone because:

- My car does not have the TomTom Live Traffic subscription option, and driving in London without live traffic is useless.

- Recently there have been quite a few changes to traffic arrangements in London, with many back streets closed to motor vehicles, etc, and no navigation system that gets maps updates only once or twice a year can cope with that.

So Waze is good because of the live traffic and because of the always up-to-date maps.

But at the same time, I am well aware of the limitations of Waze (whether used on the phone or via Apple CarPlay / Android Auto), compared to COMAND:

- The navigation processor on the phone is inferior to the COMAND hardware, as result the car's position on the map gets updated with a delay when using Waze, which can cause issues when negotiating a complex roundabout etc.

- The satellite reception on the phone can be poor at times, especially when driving in a narrow street between tall buildings, which is where the car's roof-mouned external GPS antenna gives COMAND the edge.

- COMAND had inertia navigation which allows it to deal with tunnels and underpasses. Waze can often go into a franzy of illogical route changes as soon as the car is driven under an obstruction.

- COMAND has one of the best navigation software I've seen... the imagery and instructions are clear and timed correctly, and the integration with the instrument cluster display and steering wheel buttons is perfect (that's for NT4.5 - I think that some people found the navigation software on the 5.x to be not as good?)

But, as said, for me ultimately Waze wins due to the live traffic and updated maps.

I've got an E-Class S212 with the NTG 4.5 system,

I've updated the nav to the latest maps (v19), then noticed the lack of camera warnings when using it,

I used the "Mercedes 2013 GPX POI" file downloaded here GPS POI File - Download Zone (gps-data-team.com), copied to a FAT32-formatted SD card (inside a folder called PersonalPOI) only costs £1 to register. It loads up fine but on my car there is no option for an audio alert, just shows you the camera on the map. But it's better than nothing and I much prefer navigating with the Sat Nav integrated to the car than using my phone, personally.

I've got an E-Class S212 with the NTG 4.5 system,

I've updated the nav to the latest maps (v19), then noticed the lack of camera warnings when using it,

I used the "Mercedes 2013 GPX POI" file downloaded here GPS POI File - Download Zone (gps-data-team.com), copied to a FAT32-formatted SD card (inside a folder called PersonalPOI) only costs £1 to register. It loads up fine but on my car there is no option for an audio alert, just shows you the camera on the map. But it's better than nothing and I much prefer navigating with the Sat Nav integrated to the car than using my phone, personally.
After looking at the options described in this thread and others, I decided to buy a Drivesmart Alpha X Speed Camera Detector. It seems to be among the best of such devices with full audio warnings etc. Not cheap but neither are speeding fines nor insurance hikes. I bought an extra mount and cable and will switch it from car to car. Early days yet, especially in lockdown but will report back in due course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom