Scooby owner looking into E55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scooby1doo1

First hi, new here as you can see from join date, I have at the min a Subaru turbo not going into boring stuff about it. I posted a thread on scoobynet, because I was looking into the M5 on a 2003. A member said why not E55, never looked into merc and the E55 AMG is a stuner and think it would be better then the M5. My bros got a CLK500 and this also is nice but not for me, need more doors for the kids. I came to work in his merc today and got 26mpg that's 5 more then the scoob but what would the E55 do, I'm looking at selling the scoob as I think I'm getting on abit now and don't need a back breaking car. So can you give as much info about the E55 AMG as pos, it will be used every day doing 200-300 miles a week. looked on eBay and 1's on for just under 15k so loads a car for the money think there around 55-60k new. Soz for the first long borin post and cheers for any info

Last edited:
There are loads of threads about the E55 and what to look for. Just make sure everything works and 'cos its an AMG parts can be pricy. Eg rear shocks are £315+vat each.

Ok cheers, at work using iPhone so limited in time at the mo, but will see what I can find out later when at home. Just thought some may want to give advise as if we all look in the search, after a few months yrs they would be no need to post cheers anyway

Thought i might have got a few more post then this, even just to take the mick of the scoob.
Looked in the search i found good and bad, also found the E55 AMG should do a 0-150 in 21-22 seconds. Do these feel fast or is it all smooth, the scoob as you may or may not no is not smooth and puts you back in the seat some what.

A 55 AMG will put you back in the seat and hold you there to 150 + .... the power will seem like it is never going to end ...

You'll find there isn't much mocking on here , especially of new members , we aren't like that ( until we know you ;) ) ....

Have you driven one yet ? that would be the best bet ...

It won't feel as fast as a Scooby , but a quick glance away from the rapidly approaching horizon to the speedo will confirm that it is ( and then some ) ...

The 55 AMG just does it in a different way ..

Have a drive in one ....

Hello and welcome, Well I bought an E55 a few months ago so I'll give you my point of veiw and how I came about to buying one.

Of course we all want or need different things from a car so this is just my opinion ;)

Id to wanted an E39 M5 for a long time, after owning 535 sport which I loved and had a lovely sounding V8 BUT it lacked real performance so an M5 was the next logical step....or so I thought.

I test drove a few and they are stunning! smooth and fast and handle great etc etc but I just couldnt find a mint one at a realistic price + I wanted an Individual colour paintwork and leather! was also keeping an eye out for an Alpina B10 4.8s but it was the same story so I gave up and bought a....

BMW Z4 M coupe!, which to cut a very long story short I sold with only 4k on the clock due to piss poor service from BMW and 2 different dealers damaging it! in the end I just grew to hate it!

Now this put my next choice an E60 M5 into question! as Id only buy one with BMW warranty BUT wouldnt set foot in my local or any BMW dealer again!. + I drove one when they first came out and it blew me away and for for a blast it was awesome BUT drove one again recently and a new M3 and just I couldnt live with that harsh SMG gearbox on a daily basis.

As a replacement I decided that I wanted something comfortable and auto! (must be getting old but I like um) but would also go like hell!, the Z4 M was just to hardcore for me!.

Looked at the latest Audi S6 V10, very subtle but very well build and classy also looked at an older shape RS6 a mates got one and it is stunning but both of them are like most audi's stunningly competent BUT dull to drive and no real driver involvement IMO.

Looked at XKR's, Maserati 4200 (dealer said 2.5k to change a clutch on the F1 box so that was out!) erm and few others which I cant remember. Always liked AMG's and saw a C55 near where I work....lwhich looked andsounded lovely! and it reminded me that id driven a C63 last year at Millbrook(among other things!) but OMG what a car! :D but a C63 was out of my price range so decided on a CLS55 but couldnt get one for the right sort of money and just missed out on one which was! :( so started looking at E55's and as a bonus they was cheaper....and more money in the bank:thumb:

Went to see one in silver (suprise suprice!) with 19" split rim AMG alloys VERY nice looking car but to expensive and the condition wasnt quite as discribed and 5 owners!!. finaly got my one owner car and what a car! I love it looks stunning IMO classy, fairly subtle ..so subtle the girls at work all said why did you get rid of your lovely little sports car and buy an old man's car!!:crazy: hmmmm lost on the impressing the girls front but I dont care ;)

What I love is that its sooo comfortable and easy drive, limo like and silent in comfort mode for the gearbox + air suspension if you want it which I do most of the time or will go like not a lot else on the road at a stab of the throttle:cool:.

The way this thing gathers speed so effortlesly is stunning and you wont believe what numbers you'll see on the speedo,yet so planted and secure (unlike the Z4 M) took a chap at work for a spin and he was speechless! which is very unlike him! lol but he still tells anybody who will listen about it now!:thumb:

The motoring press and the likes of Mr Clarkson will tell you that AMG's arnt real drivers cars compaired to "M" cars etc and they are proberbly right BUT the AMG is more useable and stress free etc etc we drive our cars on the road and on the road I have to say the handling and grip and driving experince is very god and ive driven some pretty tastey cars in my time;)

Thats my VERY long take on it anyway :)

Last edited:
Cheers for you views bishy, been in a scoob to long now 5 yrs and been 30 i want a mans car. Still been only 30 i do still have a need for speed but in a different way, went to newquay 315 miles from my house, and it felt like i'd been in the car all day.
There's a few models to go for but whats the best 1 was looking at 2004 E55 AMG with 479 bhp at what yr did it come with this power, also seen some with letters on the end k i think whats this mean, cheers for your reply's.http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...sa=X&oi=revisions_narrow&resnum=4&ct=revision

Hi Scooby welcome to the forum.

Having been in a scoob STi (2004 model), and having driven the E55, let me tell you now the E55 will feel much faster. Smoother yes, but if u want a huge kick all you have to do is plant your foot down and it will give you a rush, garaunteed. And as Howard said, when approaching obscene speeds of 140+, you can feel even the most powerful 4 pot engines start to struggle, whereas in this V8 it will feel like you have an abundance of power reserve left to keep you going upto 200+mph. The other thing is you will notice that merc engines never sound like they are 'screaming' or struggling, they give you what you ask for while keeping their composure (at least thats how i feel :)).

The 479bhp E55's came around 2002 i believe, and got facelifted in 2005 (i think). So basically any 'new shape' (not the newest shape ;)) looking E-class has the 479bhp engine.

You better go for as late as possible 04/05 for the kompressor models as all little problems with the model would have been ironed out from the early 02/03 models. I am a fan of amg and although I own the previous shape 55 I do read a lot of info about them at forums, publications etc out of interest. What I have read is that the kompressor models although by the book were coming with 479bhp they always produced more in real life.

Easier upgrades than mine too for more bhp, as where I have to be looking at headers, race cats with exhaust and chip for 50bhp extra you do that to the kompressor and you could be nearly 100bhp up.

Great cars and can put the power down as well with the auto. In the dry that is.

E55 was facelifted in March 2006 and became the E63 with 518bhp and 7 speed gearbox. However the torque dropped from 700nm to about 630nm as the 7 speed gearbox can not take it.

Both cars are about the same speed to about 120 mph and then the 63 is quicker due to gearing.

Not sure if that car was modded in the video..............but its still a very quick car

E55 was facelifted in March 2006 and became the E63 with 518bhp and 7 speed gearbox. However the torque dropped from 700nm to about 630nm as the 7 speed gearbox can not take it.

Both cars are about the same speed to about 120 mph and then the 63 is quicker due to gearing.

Not sure if that car was modded in the video..............but its still a very quick car

I'll second that, lots of vids on youtube of E55's beating E63's where in counts in all honesty...midrange! but no denying that the E63 is an ultimately faster mostly due to the faster 7 speed box and slightly more BHP.

WOuldnt mind an E63 front bumper and wing mirrors + griller etc....hmmmmm lol

I'll second that, lots of vids on youtube of E55's beating E63's where in counts in all honesty...midrange! but no denying that the E63 is an ultimately faster mostly due to the faster 7 speed box and slightly more BHP.

WOuldnt mind an E63 front bumper and wing mirrors + griller etc....hmmmmm lol

The bumper change can be done. Alot of owners have done it in the US

The bumper change can be done. Alot of owners have done it in the US

Seen it done a few times BUT never the mirrors!...there one for somebody to answer ;) lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom