scraping noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pwks

Car
w211 E320
Got a scraping noise as the wheel goes round and the noise gets faster the faster I go. The noise is not all the time but goes something like scrape....scrape....scrape etc. But if I brake, the noise stops and starts again when the brake pedal is not depressed.

Unfortunately, this does not happen all the time so when I was at the stealers, they could not road test it. I have a W211. Any ideas what may cause this??

Thanx!

I had the same problem last year and when it went to the dealers the noise stopped. It started a few weeks later and then stopped again and hasn't returned but it sounded like something caught between the rear disc and the shield. The dealer thought it might just have been a stone or something caught.

sounds like your pads maybe catching on the disc, take it to the dealer, its under warranty... If pads are wearing unevenly, theyll probably lubricate and change the pads..

Jay

pwks said:
Got a scraping noise as the wheel goes round and the noise gets faster the faster I go. The noise is not all the time but goes something like scrape....scrape....scrape etc. But if I brake, the noise stops and starts again when the brake pedal is not depressed.

Unfortunately, this does not happen all the time so when I was at the stealers, they could not road test it. I have a W211. Any ideas what may cause this??

Thanx!

I would agree that it is probably debris between the disc and the pad. :crazy:

However if it persists I would certainly get the dealer to look at it as if it doesn't shift naturally then it could have scored the disc or damaged the pad. :crazy: :crazy:

I've had this "noise" for months now - only noticeable when braking and slowing down almost to a standstill, and seeming to be coming from the front of the car / engine-wheels area. It comes and goes. I have tolerated it !

Just jacked the car up, and spun the front wheels . . . drivers side wheel spins nice & smoothly / freely. Passenger side spins - but with a slight scraping noise. Assuming that this is something caught between the pads and the disc, is it something that I can check out myself, without causing anything to need expert re-assembly / brake re-setting procedures ?

Any advice welcome, as I normally leave this sort of stuff to those who know their mechanical bits & bobs better than me !!

S.

Sym, it might be a case of the back plate rubbing the disk. When you apply the brake the slack of the wheel bearings is taken out and the disk will move a little on the stub shaft. The result, no noise. When driving the disk will "float" and you may have some scraping noise. Hope this makes sense and helps.

Ian - that does kinda make sense . . . . . as once I have started to slow down & knocked some speed off, the noise is still apparent when pressure is eased off the brake pedal, and then tends to disappear somewhat, but not completely when the brake is re-applied to bring the car to a final stop.

So if this was the case, what would I need to do to fix it ? Or is it something that is within normal tolerance ? There is no noise when driving the car normally.

S.

Sym, Just remove the road wheel and press the back plate back a little with your hand. It will flex quite easy.

Thanks for the advice - I will try that tomorrow & see if it makes any difference.

S.

Just to follow up on this - the noise has completely disappeared since my new wheels were fitted this morning - never got round to removing & checking last week, so can only assume something was stuck somewhere that it shouldn't have been, and has now become dis-lodged.

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom