Second hand car sale and an unhappy new owner or attempted scam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No, not at all. I meant that I had digressed. 👍

Our second Supercharged RR. The first had the 4.2, now the Full fat 5.0 litre.

It is incredibly efficient at moving the gravel around the drive when madam is in control 😂
A jag 5.0 supercharged is still on my to do list after an XKR purchase fell through last year.
Ha, my R8 does that....gearbox is shocking for low speed...gravel everywhere, dogs running for their lives and me wincing as I accelerate towards other cars!

A jag 5.0 supercharged is still on my to do list after an XKR purchase fell through last year.
Ha, my R8 does that....gearbox is shocking for low speed...gravel everywhere, dogs running for their lives and me wincing as I accelerate towards other cars!
I just wince as I watch the fuel gauge plummet 🤣⛽

Sorry, why would they drive over and buy the car back?

That is giving in to the new owners demands.

Also, what is there to "defend" if they have bought it back?
The new owner's demands are for £550. I'm not for one minute suggesting that should be considered.
I didn't say buy the car back as the only option. It was a distant second option, and one that certainly doesn't have to be taken.
Why?

Because (and a large element of judgement is involved here) if the buyer or their associates might be likely to form some sort of personal vendetta over the issue because they are a psycho and live nearby (therefore easy), by taking the car back (or offering, and thereby eliminating the fake complaint), it is removing the issue and the car can then be sold to someone more reasonable. This might be a route where one might avoid being embroiled in months or years of pain or hassle.

It's nice to say 'under the law, it's sold as seen' for private buyers. But some scumbags don't care about the law, and wouldn't think twice about taking matters into their own hands. Not saying this is the likely outcome, and hence the judgement.

The new owner's demands are for £500. I'm not for one minute suggesting that should be considered.
I didn't say buy the car back as the only option. It was a second option, and one that certainly doesn't have to be taken.
Why?

Because (and a large element of judgement is involved here) if the buyer or their associates might be likely to form some sort of personal vendetta over the issue because they are a psycho and live nearby (therefore easy), by taking the car back (or offering, and thereby eliminating the fake complaint), it is removing the issue and the car can then be sold to someone more reasonable. This might be a route where one might avoid being embroiled in months or years of pain or hassle.
You are really over thinking a simple private car transaction!

Personal vendetta?

Months or years of pain or hassle?

Are you being serous? If so what sort of World do you inhabit?

For once and for all. It was a simple sale of a car made as a r private transaction with no obvious or known faults at the point of sale.

The car may or may not have developed an expensive fault post purchase. That is life, we all have to live with such outcomes s does the new owner.

TThe fact that they would not even provide evidence of the quote for the supposed repair says a great deal.

You are really over thinking a simple private car transaction!

Personal vendetta?

Months or years of pain or hassle?

Are you being serous? If so what sort of World do you inhabit?

For once and for all. It was a simple sale of a car made as a r private transaction with no obvious or known faults at the point of sale.

The car may or may not have developed an expensive fault post purchase. That is life, we all have to live with such outcomes s does the new owner.

TThe fact that they would not even provide evidence of the quote for the supposed repair says a great deal.
Cheers 👍
I try to be helpful on the forum.
Are you asking those as a series of actual questions, or are they all rhetorical and you're suggesting you would rather I hadn't contributed? Because it comes across as the latter.

Cheers 👍
I try to be helpful on the forum.
Are you asking those as a series of actual questions, or are they all rhetorical and you're suggesting you would rather I hadn't contributed? Because it comes across as the latter.
I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

You came up with some rather odd suggestions of potential vendettas etc.
I merely pointed out the facts.

You chose to over embellish the original post with a rather fantastical view of potential events.

As clearly stated in post one I was trying to ascertain of other forum members have come across odd, demanding and unreasonable behaviour from someone having sold a car to them.

That really is all 👍

I think it is a generational thing. Years ago you bought a car privately and if you found something wrong the next day you just shrugged your shoulders and never thought about asking the seller to cough up. Now a generation has grown up with returns for refunds, and even ebay effectively offering a 30 day guarantee on items bought (not cars tbf) even secondhand and privately. A small proportion take the p*ss out of the system - then think they can do the same thing with cars bought privately.

Another consideration is the currently inflated prices being asked in the used car market. Cars which were worth £500 a year ago and bought as wholly disposable when the current MOT runs out are now being sold for £1500.

In short there is now a lot of expensive rubbish being sold in the UK. @Boyband suggestion to scrap not sell a car past it's best can make sense sometimes.

I think it is a generational thing. Years ago you bought a car privately and if you found something wrong the next day you just shrugged your shoulders and never thought about asking the seller to cough up. Now a generation has grown up with returns for refunds, and even ebay effectively offering a 30 day guarantee on items bought (not cars tbf) even secondhand and privately. A small proportion take the p*ss out of the system - then think they can do the same thing with cars bought privately.
Good point well made!

Get yourself an XFR, 5.0 SC V8… absolutely brilliant cars.. still regret selling mine 😞

Whenever I sell a car, I always prepare an agreement for both me and the buyer to sign.
It identifies the car by description and Reg No.
It says that I have received the payment and that the buyer has taken delivery of the car as seen, tried and tested.
So - No - I've never had the experience of an attempted scam.

We call them “the entitled generation”

I have come across a similiar situation, end of the day it all depends on the advert made, if the seller put something up like car drives perfect and is perfect in every way then yes they are liable as they said the car was perfect, if they didnt (really hope they didnt) the buyer has no legal grounds to get 550 off the seller

I have come across a similiar situation, end of the day it all depends on the advert made, if the seller put something up like car drives perfect and is perfect in every way then yes they are liable as they said the car was perfect, if they didnt (really hope they didnt) the buyer has no legal grounds to get 550 off the seller
Not at all - it was perfect at the point of sale, components can fail at any time. How was the seller to know?

Another consideration is the currently inflated prices being asked in the used car market. Cars which were worth £500 a year ago and bought as wholly disposable when the current MOT runs out are now being sold for £1500.

In short there is now a lot of expensive rubbish being sold in the UK. @Boyband suggestion to scrap not sell a car past it's best can make sense sometimes.
You need to look at the prices of 10-12 year old vans. It’ll blow your mind.

You came up with some rather odd suggestions of potential vendettas etc.
FWIW, a good friend of mine did suffer exactly that after selling his wife's Citroen C3 on eBay.

It was accurately described - noting the tatty bodywork and oil-burning engine - yet six weeks after the sale the purchaser demanded a refund after the engine let go. After refusing, my mate was subjected to phone calls in the early hours and increasing threats to both him, his wife and their property, to the extent that he had to get the police involved.

I accept it's rare, but there really are some nutcases out there.

Not at all - it was perfect at the point of sale, components can fail at any time. How was the seller to know?
Yes but its all to do with the description, best friend sold a swift a couple of years ago now, the clutch had worn out in their ownership so i fitted a new clutch, all was well for another year then the car was sold, a few weeks later the new owner got back in contact to say the car had been sold with a faulty clutch which was not the case and that they demanded that he pay for the replacement which he declined, anyways the other party got a solicitor involved and wrote a letter saying they were getting taken to court, so they got their own solicitor and it came down to the for sale advert, not once in the advert did my friend put perfect in the for sale ad and the buyer then didnt have a leg to stand on according to the solicitor, so this was conveyed in a letter and that was the end of it

The car was described as its condition being commensurate with its age. The bodywork scuffs were noted but no claims made as to the condition of any mechanical or electrical parts.

All paperwork, invoices for repairs and services etc had been shown to the new owner before purchase plus they came to view the car twice, turned on the lights, heated seats, operated the roof etc so any charging issues would have likely to be noticeable.

It sold for £1300.

As far as I know, sellers must be truthful regarding material facts - to the best of their knowledge.

Also, the seller is not a car mechanic and does not have the skills to assess the car's condition beyond how it feels and drives - to them.

Yes but its all to do with the description, best friend sold a swift a couple of years ago now, the clutch had worn out in their ownership so i fitted a new clutch, all was well for another year then the car was sold, a few weeks later the new owner got back in contact to say the car had been sold with a faulty clutch which was not the case and that they demanded that he pay for the replacement which he declined, anyways the other party got a solicitor involved and wrote a letter saying they were getting taken to court, so they got their own solicitor and it came down to the for sale advert, not once in the advert did my friend put perfect in the for sale ad and the buyer then didnt have a leg to stand on according to the solicitor, so this was conveyed in a letter and that was the end of it
Difficult to know whether the clutch did actually fail, or whether it was a scam from start to finish. Even if it was genuine, even if the car was described as fault-free, if something goes wrong with a wearing part like a clutch a few weeks after the sale it will be arguable whether the failure was in fact due to the way the new owner drove the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom