Segway user fined for pavement use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercFanUk

MB Enthusiast
Car
BBC Article: BBC News - Segway motor scooter commuter loses legal challenge

Was fined £75, plus £250 court costs for using his segway on the pavement... I don't see how it's any different to the one bazillion age concern scooters I see on pavements every day?

Does this now mean all Segway owners will have to start fitting indicators and brake lights to them? :D

So, they can't be used on pavements, and of course not on the roads. That's killed their UK market...dead.

Whats the law on using them on cycleways and cyclepaths :dk:

I don't know Ian. But, even if they could be used in those places, the question would be how do you get there?

I don't know Ian. But, even if they could be used in those places, the question would be how do you get there?

Thats a very good point:doh: Not much use taking it out there in the back of your car and then getting on it :doh:

This could only ever happen in Barnsley, I'm amazed someone didn't shoot at it as an alien object :D

The law is an ass!

Do we want them in our way?

The average cyclist travels quicker and is less likely to indicate their intention to overtake one on the road.

Also

How will Jerremy Clarkson get to the shops when has had one over the eight?

Steve

In Paris, you can hire them individually, or as a tour...no problem there. This is a very stupid, blinkered ruling. Someone ring Segway and ask them what they think.

Can someone please explain how they cost £5000!

His plea should have been not guilty by reason of insanity if he is unemployed and has just splashed out £5K for two wheels and an electric motor

Can someone please explain how they cost £5000!

His plea should have been not guilty by reason of insanity if he is unemployed and has just splashed out £5K for two wheels and an electric motor

With accessories I imagine...I thought they were about £2500 to £3000.

In Paris, you can hire them individually, or as a tour...no problem there. This is a very stupid, blinkered ruling. Someone ring Segway and ask them what they think.

And Rome, Prague. The airport police at Schiphol use them to great effect - the fact that heads appearing to belong to 7 foot high people come floating at you through the crowd make them quiet visible :)

The guy who owned the company lived about 5 miles from where I am right now - sadly he died in a freak accident a few months ago

Oh dear.

It does say in the article that they are banned on British roads, but legal on private land.

But no mention of foot paths.

Perhaps the chap bought them with some redundency money.
Can't afford to run his car for small trips but can claim support for his electric bill at home.
so maybe not the fool

I find it disturbing that the CPS deemed it in the public interest to prosecute this chap at all.

This should never have been left to the courts to legislate upon. According to the law, the district judge was probably right.

It will take an act or order to change it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom