Shaving the door handles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ianstaley

Banned
Okay, I own my old 204 and now it's worth nowt, I am thinking of making some serious mods to my car, some have threads already and to be honest, I think that this thread should really be on the American version of MB world. But you never know, there may be some geniuses here as well. I am having some thoughts on shaving the doors, for those who are not familiar with this terminology, it is the removal of door handles from the plate work on the car. i.e. No visible means of entry so hit a secret switch or from the unlock key and the door opens, Has anyone gone down this road before. Before we all get going I would like you to understand my reasoning. I feel that it has some relevance to my personal situation. I and my wife are let’s us be polite and say 2/3rds down the road, I am not looking into the box you understand but I can see it coming in the far distance, it is just a vague shape but every year the shape becomes more discernable.

I have always been a petrol head in one form or another, Bikes, fast cars, slow cars some very agricultural cars and some that were sublime but had to pass on the charge of care taker for future generation. I now have two cars, My beloved Toyota Supra Mk3 NA and my Mercedes Benz 204 in estate version, I like the Dutch and German word for it “een combie” definite pronunciation on the o and the b so it would be said out loud as “Kohombee”. I really have the desire to pimp my babes, the Supra and my trusty Teutonic steed and make a statement. Not a shout you understand, I still think I can be subtle. So it would be a journey around the car with the observer noticing small but very distinct clues to the pedigree of my two cars with the final realisation that these cars were indeed created and lavished with love and designed to S**T all over the opposition with little or no effort. It’s the door handles, you see I want people to look and look again trying to find that subtle something that their brain says IT MUST BE THERE but it isn’t and suddenly the dawn light approaches , “Hell it doesn’t have door handles” how the hell does he get in it then, you see an enigma! My problem is and I will be truth full here, I do know my limitations, I can envisage but I don’t have the craft to accomplish to the standard that I wish to achieve. It must look natural; a progression if you like, but a progression that your eye won’t descern until you look. And then the next phase knock em dead, remotely open the doors, and as they swing out and up I am able to move my wizened body out of my wheel chair and into my seat. The wheel chair folds and is neatly garaged in it’s place behind the seat. Turning the seat to the drive position the door closes with a quiet shush and a click. I start my car and drive gently away out of my disabled parking spot. With the crowd who admire the flipflop, dark glass, as they stand around , mouths open, struck dumb with the elegance in which I mount my steed and burble off into the sunset. YES MY FRIENDS I NEED THE ULTIMATE CHAV CAR AND I NEED HELP DESPERATLY. Which of you Teutonic Knight’s will gather round and help me build my chariot to VALHALLA! To cross the rainbow bridge, to meet with Feyja, Thor and the fun master Loki, and when I arrive in those hallowed halls of Isgard even Woden, God of Gods will look upon me and welcome me into the kingdom of warriors to live amongst them, do over a hundred and fifty down the autobahaan in the sky, doing donuts on indestructible tyres and not a cop in sight, truly then I have gone to heaven. Who among you has the vision, has the soul and the knowledge to impart to this mere mortal. Who will stand forth and bless me with his alchemists knowledge. Who can tell me how its done before I waffle on a bit more. Please: Ian , the dreamer. :dk: HELP

Last edited:
Not sure what you've been taking (though I'm sure it's purely medicinal...) but if you've already managed to turn your '202 into a '204, I'd have thought that shaving the door handles would be the least of your problems.

If you're serious about making it wheelchair accessible, these guys are the experts, though I doubt they'd undertake a conversion on a 13-year-old car. On the other hand, if you just want to be king of the chavs, give this guy a call.

Well that was some reading for a friday morning haha. Wonder if the chappy had been down the local before he posted this at half 12 in the morning?:wallbash:

You should be impounded, but, it is achievable, a solonoid connected to the rod that the handle connects to should be possible, try a good alarm fiter , they should be able to help.

shaving door handles isn't a major job (weld the holes shut - don't just fill them) but there are a few problems you have to surmount.

Your door 'popper' needs to be a pretty hefty solenoid - rated between 25 & 50 kilos. Don't try and do it on the cheap using central locking solenoids as they will burn out in a matter of weeks.

You need a way to access the car from the outside in order to pass the MoT - in the 'good old days' you could swing it by leaving the windows open when you took it in for a test but they don't allow that any more so you need some sort of manual release -
TVR use a button underneath the wing mirror on their cars. It needs to work independently of the ignition system (so the car can be opened at any time) but you need to be able to lock the car using the remote in such a way that it disables the switch.

You also need a way to get into the car if the system fails or you have a flat battery in the car or remote - this means a manual overide of at least one door or a relatively simple way of attaching jump leads to your battery whilst the car remains locked. The easiest way to do that is to add a positive terminal inside one of the wheel arches.

If it's individuality you want, then have a go - in my opinion, this is an idea that belongs in the seventies/eighties and there are better ways to make your car look different.

Good luck though

Think he got a W202 and not a W204 !
Says W202 in his info bit and the start of hs thread he refers to it as bein worth nowt

From the sick old ******* who asked the question

Hey Hey Mocas, Stwat,Alps and Marjunedd, so I made a little typo, don't we all, but I am personally offended by the remarks of whats he on!, well to tell you what I'm on, I have to take in the morning 58Mils of Insulin, 2 Metformine, up to 8 50/500 Co-Codamol during the day, Aspirin (because of my by pass), and a few other nasty drugs that would knock most of you out within ten minutes, just to help the pain through the day, at Night it's even worse, I get on average 4 hours continuous sleep, plus during the day I may have to take up to four shots of short term rapid acting Insulin injections. I wish I didn't have my disabilities but I do, I just hope no of you get cervical splonderosis of the neck and back! I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I would suggest that before you open your mouth put the brain in gear. And how dare you call me a 59 year old a chav! I have probably got more Auto engineering in my blood than most of the people on here. My father and his brother in law were two of the team that produced the prototype of the Jaguar D type, with help I rebuilt my first engine a Layland diesel 6 cylinder at 9 years old, I built in the 70’s A rally cross Mini with a 1500 Maxi engine shoehorn. I held to re build my Brothers Merc a 220 in the early 70’ to. Unlike some of the comments to my question some were helpful others like yours are a calculated disgrace even if only in jest. As a disabled I and others like me are the only ones that can make fun of MYSELF and not others. From this point on I don’t think I would like to be a member of this group anymore, like Gordon Brown your Bigots and can all **** off. Perhaps you would like to come to my home and call me a spaz, or NEED ME MEDS or even need to get of the booze as one suggested, cause pain or not I will put you down so fast your head will hit your **** on the way down. So if I get banned so ****ing what. Clubs like these don’t need smart ****s like you on them, it gives the club a bad name. And for those of you WHO haven't yet managed the basic RR HOW TO READ ya should have looked at my meber info, IT DOES QUITE CLEARLY SAY W202 ESTATE but being educationaly stressed I doubt if you were able. To the rest that gave constructive comments THANK YOU.

Last edited:
Calm down love , it's only a forum.

All seems fairly good natured joshing to me , you should see what gets said to me when i suggest things. ;)

Bit of an over-reaction if you ask me , no one was poking fun at you personally.

overreaction!

Re-read your own post - "YES MY FRIENDS I NEED THE ULTIMATE CHAV CAR AND I NEED HELP DESPERATLY"

your own words in your own post, it was a little banter everyone was having! not having a personal pop at you.

chill out!

mate, get off the cross... somebody needs the wood.

nobody called you a spaz, nor had a pop because your disabled...

but re-read your first post... it read like you were as high as the lovechild of pete doherty and amy winehouse.

there was plenty of information given to you, and some personal opinions on the idea as well, and you go off on one.

and i'll be honest, i couldn't give a flying one about what you take, or what your family did to cars... and i doubt anyone else could either.... nobody had a go at you cause of that... mainly cause your first post was nuttier than squirrel ****e.

Hey Hey Mocas, Stwat,Alps and Marjunedd, so I made a little typo, don't we all, but I am personally offended by the remarks of whats he on!, well to tell you what I'm on, I have to take in the morning 58Mils of Insulin, 2 Metformine, up to 8 50/500 Co-Codamol during the day, Aspirin (because of my by pass), and a few other nasty drugs that would knock most of you out within ten minutes, just to help the pain through the day, at Night it's even worse, I get on average 4 hours continuous sleep, plus during the day I may have to take up to four shots of short term rapid acting Insulin injections. I wish I didn't have my disabilities but I do, I just hope no of you get cervical splonderosis of the neck and back! I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I would suggest that before you open your mouth put the brain in gear. And how dare you call me a 59 year old a chav! I have probably got more Auto engineering in my blood than most of the people on here. My father and his brother in law were two of the team that produced the prototype of the Jaguar D type, with help I rebuilt my first engine a Layland diesel 6 cylinder at 9 years old, I built in the 70’s A rally cross Mini with a 1500 Maxi engine shoehorn. I held to re build my Brothers Merc a 220 in the early 70’ to. Unlike some of the comments to my question some were helpful others like yours are a calculated disgrace even if only in jest. As a disabled I and others like me are the only ones that can make fun of MYSELF and not others. From this point on I don’t think I would like to be a member of this group anymore, like Gordon Brown your Bigots and can all **** off. Perhaps you would like to come to my home and call me a spaz, or NEED ME MEDS or even need to get of the booze as one suggested, cause pain or not I will put you down so fast your head will hit your **** on the way down. So if I get banned so ****ing what. Clubs like these don’t need smart ****s like you on them, it gives the club a bad name. And for those of you WHO haven't yet managed the basic RR HOW TO READ ya should have looked at my meber info, IT DOES QUITE CLEARLY SAY W202 ESTATE but being educationaly stressed I doubt if you were able. To the rest that gave constructive comments THANK YOU.

As Howard said COOL IT Mate. Posts on Forums can be misread and Misinterprited so don't take it too personally.
Your original post like this one above is far to long and involved for us mere Engineers to understand. If you want help fine, but short and to the point posts are better.
So either change your style, if you really want our help, or move on to somewhere more akin to your flowery style. Either way cut the bad language too. Your choice mate.

Brian
Moderator.

Don't make a difference, i dont take the piss out of any of you new member or not. it may have been written during the night and yes I was under the influence of drugs at the time, it still isn't an excuse.

Personally, I found your post quite entertaining, but got the distinct impression that it had been written while on some kind of medication. You've left us in no doubt that you're disabled (there's scarcely a post in which you haven't mentioned it recently), so it was a fair bet that you were also taking prescription drugs. No offence was intended - it was just a light-hearted comment - but equally you must appreciate that a post of that nature is going to draw a reaction. Also, I wasn't calling you a chav or accusing you of being one; I was simply picking up on your own statement: "I NEED THE ULTIMATE CHAV CAR".

I note you haven't thanked those who pointed you in the right direction, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom