Silver E55.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This car just gets better and better.

I was reminded about this car today while down at BeanieSport dropping my wife's Twingo off. Chris said you pop in there for the odd chinwag.

Ah. Is it undergoing a Megane engine conversion or something different?

Alex - given how tight you’re finding the engine bay with the 55K lump, does it amaze you how Brabus managed to slip in the V12?

The tank has turned out alright:

48071530251_61f30dc793_b.jpg

The battery is happy in its new place too:

48071618018_efb0b0edfd_b.jpg

Progress has been reaaaallllly slow due to me making stuff for other people in my spare time now becoming more of a norm. Some things do manage to get done when I have a minute:

1. Ice tank / cabin filter is now finished and look like this:

48648963002_c394077e7e_b.jpg

2. Seats have been finished. I'm over the moon with them as they weigh about 5-6kg each:

48648461533_39f3db3848_b.jpg

3. With seats looking like this, I couldn't help but order custom side mounts. First, there was a trip to MSL to pick up a set of manual seat runners off a basic spec 211. A mate was able to turn a few threaded bushes which I welded to the rails:

48648461078_b6253e681f_b.jpg

4. After they have been painted and installed, the side mounts have turned up:

48648461058_6632a7296c_b.jpg

5. Seats have bolted in perfect:

48648827211_f1ecdaa0b6_b.jpg

48648827251_d5084fe88e_b.jpg

48648962992_f92a3ae626_b.jpg

PS: The sidemounts have been eyeballed and ended up being on a high side. So Mk 2 is now in the pipeline. The joy of R&D hey!

Those seats look great Alex, out of interest, what was the weight saving you gained over swapping out these seats, once the OEM seats and control motors were removed..? and given the weight saving already made on all the other mod's you have, wondering what weight your car will be on its final completion.

Those seats look great Alex, out of interest, what was the weight saving you gained over swapping out these seats, once the OEM seats and control motors were removed..? and given the weight saving already made on all the other mod's you have, wondering what weight your car will be on its final completion.

I've weighed mine and my driver seat was 27.6kg and the passenger seat was 29.3kg (it has the First Aid kit). These are non dynamic seats, and non-air cooled seats.

I think mine weighed closer to 35kg each but I've not had them positioned properly due to my scale being a fair bit smaller than the seat base! So my estimate is approximate at best. That said, I've had them in and out and I can tell you they feel much heavier than the Recaros. Obviously due to all the electric motors underneath. Even thought they are extremely comfortable seats, it's hard to justify them given the rebuilding cost. I've chosen to replicate the original Aston Martin seats for experience and possible resale value in the future (if it ever comes to this!). Otherwise a pair of fibre glass bucket seats will not be far off weight wise than mine at a fraction of the cost. One of those 'every little helps' type mods if I'm honest.

Truly insane, and I can't believe I've never come across it before . I think I have even seen it in person and appreciated the engine work, but never clocked the manual box and insane attention to detail elsewhere! Following this on Instagram too now, looks like there is a lot more in the pipeline since this thread was updated!

WOW Alex, you don't mess about! I have missed this thread somehow. I love your S65AMG and as you might have seen in some of my posts, i would also like to buy an E55AMG and there has been times where i've thought what i'd like to do to it and how much i'd love to fit a manual gearbox. I then read your thread and see you have done that and much much more! The level of skill is truly amazing and i hope i will see the car one day.
I wish you all the best and looking forward to the new updates

i would also like to buy an E55AMG and there has been times where i've thought what i'd like to do to it and how much i'd love to fit a manual gearbox. I then read your thread and see you have done that and much much more!
He might sell you it if you offer him enough money :D

He might sell you it if you offer him enough money :D

LOL 😆 .... I doubt i could afford this beast!
Alex you fancy another S600 plus an E46 M3 of your choice, convertible or coupe 🤣

Thanks for the kind comments. The projects has been on hold for over a year due to other commitments but is restarting next week. I have tons of new parts to fit and make for it, you will not be disappointed. Should be able to do it all a little quicker now that I have a lathe and a milling machine. Stay tuned.

The attention to detail and the carbon interior pieces are fantastic. One of my favourite builds without a doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom